JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Alternative uses for kitchen appliances

Recently I discovered that my rice cooker could be used to cook much more than just rice! Essentially it is a timed slow cooker, so I have been experimenting :D 

I have successfully cooked porridge (oatmeal) in it - soaked it overnight, then in the morning I just flick the switch, feed the cat, get ready for work and by the time I'm dressed - a hot breakfast is ready for me and my boys. No stirring needed!

Also I've boiled eggs in it - popped them in while serving dinner, and by the time we have done eating, we have half a dozen boiled eggs ready for snacking on (I keep them in the fridge for my teenage boys - a much healthier snack than the processed rubbish available these days).

My breadmaker also makes jam - not a lot at one time, but that's ok because I only have a small plum tree! I get two or three jars each time I make it. 

So I thought I would come here and ask my brothers and sisters - What appliances do you have that are useful in more ways than the manufacture could have imagined? 

I use my turned off oven's racks to cool waffles.  I make dozens of waffles at a time and then freeze them for future use.

30 seconds in the microwave to defrost, another minute or two in the toaster, and breakfast is ready!^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

My brother has spun honey in a washing machine.

My brother-in-law tried the fish thing (after he tried using the toaster to toast his phone) and the fish smell are hard to get rid of.

Morning there Dalbyj. Nice thread!!!

Tort ... Dalbyj is a friend of my in real life - you be nice to her now.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

6 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Will do! I'll treat her like I do you..

(Adds name to ignore list....):)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

You can use a vegetable peeler to shave cheese

You can also cook omlettes in the dishwasher - and no smell to deal with

A hand mixer can be used to stir paint

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

20 hours ago, Precision said:

ooh I love the 1 minute brownie! I have a great chocolate brownie recipe but it is huge and takes over an hour to bake - I only make it for special occasions (such as country witnessing B) ) .. this would be much quicker. Here in NZ we can buy a cake mix that you can make in a cup but I find it a bit too sweet, I prefer to bake from scratch.

13 hours ago, Stormswift said:

My brother has spun honey in a washing machine.

My brother-in-law tried the fish thing (after he tried using the toaster to toast his phone) and the fish smell are hard to get rid of.

Morning there Dalbyj. Nice thread!!!

Gidday sis! Honey in a washing machine - I haven't heard of that one. I knew a brother who used to make wine in an old washing machine, sadly he was not very scrupulous at keeping it clean so the wine didn't turn out very well.

I'm sure my brother Tort will be just as nice to me as I will be to him :D 

2 hours ago, Dalbyj said:

ooh I love the 1 minute brownie! I have a great chocolate brownie recipe but it is huge and takes over an hour to bake - I only make it for special occasions (such as country witnessing B) ) .. this would be much quicker. Here in NZ we can buy a cake mix that you can make in a cup but I find it a bit too sweet, I prefer to bake from scratch.

I haven't tried the chocolate brownies yet, but the simple fast, from scratch recipe sure sounds good. Adding coffee to the batch takes it up another notch.

We buy high quality vanilla beans and VB extract inexpensively in Mexico for making rich tapioca pudding, or adding to freshly made chocolate almond cookies. and double or tripling up on the vanilla.

Let us know how your next country witnessing service goes, hopefully you can swing by and invite Mandi   :bouncing:

On 12/04/2018 at 12:47 AM, Precision said:

I haven't tried the chocolate brownies yet, but the simple fast, from scratch recipe sure sounds good. Adding coffee to the batch takes it up another notch.

We buy high quality vanilla beans and VB extract inexpensively in Mexico for making rich tapioca pudding, or adding to freshly made chocolate almond cookies. and double or tripling up on the vanilla.

Let us know how your next country witnessing service goes, hopefully you can swing by and invite Mandi   :bouncing:

Well I went out in country service yesterday .. but didn't have time to make brownies beforehand :( Never mind, another country day is coming up at the end of the month!

And I would love to have Mandi come out in service with me .. but it's a bit of a long drive between our houses (10-12 hours drive including a ferry ride)

On 11/04/2018 at 10:06 PM, Dalbyj said:

Gidday sis! Honey in a washing machine - I haven't heard of that one. I knew a brother who used to make wine in an old washing machine, sadly he was not very scrupulous at keeping it clean so the wine didn't turn out very well.

I'm sure my brother Tort will be just as nice to me as I will be to him :D 

He's probably figured we are friends for a reason  so he's got it sorted. haha.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."