JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sunday, April 15 Wife, how do you know whether you will save your husband? Or, husband, how do you know whether you will save your wife?​—1 Cor. 7:16.

Sunday, April 15

Wife, how do you know whether you will save your husband? Or, husband, how do you know whether you will save your wife?—1 Cor. 7:16.

In some cases, a Christian is married to one who is not yet a servant of Jehovah. Under those circumstances, the Bible gives good reasons why they should remain together. (1 Cor. 7:12-14) Whether the unbelieving mate realizes it or not, he or she is “sanctified” because of being married to a believer. Any children born to them are considered “holy” and thus have a standing with God. Nearly every congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses has married couples in which the Christian has been instrumental in ‘saving’ his or her mate. The apostle Peter counsels Christian wives to be in subjection to their husbands, “so that if any are not obedient to the word, they may be won without a word through the conduct of their wives, because of having been eyewitnesses of your chaste conduct together with deep respect.”—1 Pet. 3:1-4. w16.08 2:14, 15

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

This scripture has always meant so much to me. Even if your husband is in the truth, as mine is, we still need to be mindfull that our actions can affect them, in a good or bad way. Hopefully mine have been for the good. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Suddenly got a question..

Based on today's DT that states " any children born to a believing parents are considered holy.

Q no.1 : other than God no human is holy.. then how come the imperfect children are considered holy

Q no 2 : the children must understand jah and his ways. After that he or she has to take their own decision for baptism.. then only they will be called as jw.. before baptism how can they be considered as God's own children ?

Q no 3 : if the children of witnesses are considered as holy, Then can unbelieving parents of a jw also be considered as holy?!

Hope the questions are not childish .. But need answer pls..

By the way missed you all.

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

Before baptism, the children are judged based on the spirituality of their parents. When they become baptized then they are on their own, judged by their own actions,  which is why some parents don't encourage their young ones to get baptized. I believe the children being holy is a relative holiness compared to unbelieving children of unbelieving parents, but, I could be wrong. 

I concur with Vernalee's answer and building on it a bit - remember that only one is truly GOOD and that is Jehovah, but we still use the word good to describe others. So depending on who the word good or in this case holy is used towards would change the context.

If the word holy is used in conjunction with Jehovah then as Vernalee said above - it's relative and could only mean the fullest and most sacred version of that word.

If its used towards his servants which in this case it is  then its in connection with his servants being under the umbrella of HIS holiness and puts them in line for future blessings.

That scripture is saying that both the unbelieving Spouse and any children born to the union are considered holy - which is amazing news for many - I've loved this scripture for a while but wasn't sure how to apply it - so this days text is amazing.

However for them to remain in a 'holy' condition - one would have to stay in the marriage (Unless for scriptural reasons of course ) and be a family unit with the believing spouse treating the word of God aright. 

So as I read this - there is some hope for those who respect their believing mates ... as with all of us though Jehovah via Jesus is the ultimate judge - and we wouldn't rely on a single scripture to base our entire hope - always about the big picture.

Let's see what Jehovah's spirit reveals further about this in coming days ... very exciting. 

Oh and sister Gayathiri - your questions aren't childish at all , in fact childish questions are usually from the heart and very straighforward.

I think we are all in for some interesting new light as these last days darken. Hold onto your seats and don't give up on anyone!

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Vernalee and Mandi have given some great explanations. I'd like to add this point that they didn't cover.

The word "holy" here doesn't refer to absolute holiness as that of Jehovah, of course. In the Bible the word "holy" means basically "clean". Christians are told: "You must be holy, because I am holy" (1 Peter 1:16). The meaning of the word "holy" in that scripture is explained in Romans 12:1: "present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God". So something "holy" is clean and therefore acceptable to Jehovah, while something "unclean" is not acceptable.

A Christian who lives a clean life is holy, that is, Jehovah accepts that person and will save him. If a Christian couple has children who are too young to decide for themselves, Jehovah considers those children "holy" too, they will be saved together with their parents. Even if one of the parents is an unbeliever, Jehovah still "sanctifies" that person in the sense that the children they have are "holy", acceptable to him. Those children will be saved together with the faithful parent.

Of course, when children reach a certain age where they can decide their salvation no longer depends on what their parents do. :)  

As an adult capable of making a choice to know Jehovah, the unbelieving mate is not holy with a view to salvation just by his/her association with a believer. Like Carlos said, the child is said to be holy because of their reliance on the believing parent’s choice to serve Jehovah. 

But once the child reaches an age of understanding they have to make the choice themselves.  “Holy acts of conduct” have to be shown for deliverance- 2 Pet 3:11.

Very encouraging text today for me: Knowing that my husband “is “sanctified” because of being married to a believer”. This gave me a measure of comfort knowing that Jehovah looks out for those whose spouse may not be a believer (yet). I pray that my conduct, with Jehovah's help, is a witness in itself and if it is not, I continually pray for his help. 

18 hours ago, Spechellekaye said:

Very encouraging text today for me: Knowing that my husband “is “sanctified” because of being married to a believer”. This gave me a measure of comfort knowing that Jehovah looks out for those whose spouse may not be a believer (yet). I pray that my conduct, with Jehovah's help, is a witness in itself and if it is not, I continually pray for his help. 

As the wife of a ( current) unbeliever, I also have to hope that by making a stand for Jehovah’s laws and principals, my husband will come to see the spin-off benefits. I have already recorded some small advances; his bad language is now minimal; he agrees not to celebrate birthdays or Christmas; he attends the annual Memorial with me - if nothing else - and he does not object when I want to spend 50 hours per month as an auxilliary pioneer! He also enjoys association with the brothers & sisters, so can obviously see the difference between us and the rest of the world. This can only be Jehovah’s spirit working on him to our mutual advantage, as these are things I would never have expected 5 or 6 years ago! He even defends my status as a Jehovah’s Witness in front of his “scoffing” friends! If only satan’s veil could be totally lifted from his blinded eyes, we could be a perfect couple! I am sure many experience far more opposition than me. . . and for that, I am grateful to Jah and Jesus. 🙏🏻💕👌 Take courage my Sister - Jehovah never leaves His loyal ones! xx