JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Old people can produce as many new brain cells as teenagers

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2195 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

From  New Scientist April 15 2018

PEOPLE in their 70s seem to produce just as many new neurons as teenagers. The discovery could provide clues as to how we can keep our minds sharper for longer.

In mammals, most brain cells are created at or soon after birth and aren't renewed. Recently, it was found that the human hippocampus, linked with learning and memory, produces new neurons throughout life. But this ability, called neurogenesis, was thought to plummet after middle age.

Now, Maura Boldrini at Columbia University in New York and her colleagues have analysed the hippocampi from 28 people, aged between 14 and 79. These were examined soon after each person's death to check for the number of new neurons they contained, and other signs of neuron function and activity.

Similar numbers of new neurons were found throughout each hippocampus, regardless of a person's age. The team estimates that each person was making about 700 neurons a day when they died (Cell Stem Celldoi.org/cm4z).

"New neuron growth has never been studied before in people who didn't have any brain disease or end-of-life stress, with tissue taken within 24 hours of death," says Boldrini. "Our results show that healthy older people can form just as many new neurons as younger people. If we know what is happening in these people to keep their neurons forming, then maybe we can use it to help others age more healthily too."

The number of new neurons may still be a lot higher in newborns and young children, says Jeff Davies at Swansea University, UK. He would be interested to see the study repeated in people who do and don't exercise. "This would provide some insight into whether the production of new neurons can be modified by environmental factors in humans to promote healthy brain ageing," he says.

This article appeared in print under the headline "Older people still make new brain cells"

Helen Thomson

Edited by Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

I get new cells every day, a man thinks with his stomach so I keep them around my waist...

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Well there over 100 million neuron  cells that line your gut ....

So you have smart belly ....

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

15 minutes ago, Lance said:

Well there over 100 million neuron  cells that line your gut ....

So you have smart belly ....

Mom use to call me a smart...uh...nevermind, but I know where  some neurons are hiding...:o

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

It is all that smart food that is showing ...:)

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I get new cells every day, a man thinks with his stomach so I keep them around my waist...

The person who eats plenty of donuts must be super-intelligent! LOL :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

13 hours ago, Stormswift said:

or super delusional. 

Oh I'm sorry the  super-intelligent person you were referring to was NOT in a general sense? Oh my bad ... I will think about withdrawing my super delusional comment.

14 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

The person who eats plenty of donuts must be super-intelligent! LOL :lol1:

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

51 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

I will think about withdrawing my super delusional comment.

Just to put you at ease ... Nothing to withdraw ... Nobody is upset, and I like your sense of humor!

PS. My super-intelligent donut infused cell suggested to me above response :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)