JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

God’s not dead (2014)

After he refuses to disavow his faith, a devout Christian student (Shane Harper) must prove the existence of God or else his college philosophy professor (Kevin Sorbo) will fail him.

I thought this was a helpful film in portraying the enormous bias that our Schools & Universities have ( in general) FOR evolution and AGAINST creation. The material this fictional young student puts together to vindicate his belief in the Biblical Creation is factual and faith strenghtening.

Anyone else seen/evaluated?

• 3 months later...
On 4/17/2018 at 8:45 PM, humbleebee said:
After he refuses to disavow his faith, a devout Christian student (Shane Harper) must prove the existence of God or else his college philosophy professor (Kevin Sorbo) will fail him.

I thought this was a helpful film in portraying the enormous bias that our Schools & Universities have ( in general) FOR evolution and AGAINST creation. The material this fictional young student puts together to vindicate his belief in the Biblical Creation is factual and faith strenghtening.

Anyone else seen/evaluated?

I’ve seen it. It is somewhat helpful in understanding the mindset of a strongly Antitheist person. That their position is rarely from intellect and usually based in emotion.

14 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

I’ve seen it. It is somewhat helpful in understanding the mindset of a strongly Antitheist person. That their position is rarely from intellect and usually based in emotion.

That sounds interesting. Though I do often notice the most hardcore athiests do usually have a strong emotional reaction to faith, very arrogant and abusive many of them. Not all of course, as I don't want to label. But it's very common. It makes me think of the couple of scriptures, one on the fruits of the spirit vs spirit of Satan and the one where it's stated "the evil man says there is no God".

I really want to see the documentry, but I don't have Netflix (though my sister and her husband do..).

Edited by EccentricM

12 hours ago, Katty said:

I'll be really honest here. I like the concept behind it, and I started to watch it, but I ended up finding it a little cringey, but I didn't necessarily hate it or anything. 

I've only seen the trailer, but that was definitely the impression I got from it. 

"Philosophy Lecturer : I would like to bypass senseless debate altogether and jump to the conclusion every sophomore's already aware of, there is no God."

You're a philosophy lecturer, it's your job to debate things however much you think everybody's already aware of them, like whether reality actually exists or not, or whether we have to feel feelings, or whether anybody besides yourself is actually a real person or just an illusion!  If you don't want to debate things you think everybody already knows, you can't teach a philosophy class!

The plot just seems so unbelievable at that basic premise.  If they'd made it some other kind of lecturer - but a philosophy lecturer I can't imagine making such a statement.  He would basically be announcing that he's incapable of doing his job.

7 hours ago, Ferb said:

I've only seen the trailer, but that was definitely the impression I got from it. 

"Philosophy Lecturer : I would like to bypass senseless debate altogether and jump to the conclusion every sophomore's already aware of, there is no God."

You're a philosophy lecturer, it's your job to debate things however much you think everybody's already aware of them, like whether reality actually exists or not, or whether we have to feel feelings, or whether anybody besides yourself is actually a real person or just an illusion!  If you don't want to debate things you think everybody already knows, you can't teach a philosophy class!

The plot just seems so unbelievable at that basic premise.  If they'd made it some other kind of lecturer - but a philosophy lecturer I can't imagine making such a statement.  He would basically be announcing that he's incapable of doing his job.

Sounds like it might be one of those shows I'd be so frustrated with that I'd spend the first five minutes arguing with the TV before turning it off in disgust. 

Doesn't excuse Netflix Oz from at least giving viewers here the option of deciding for themselves.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.