JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Persecution food for thought for our day

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2195 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, Rozannnancarrow said:

This story  was told during  a public  talk .

It's good to read some  reality  on how satan  works

It is to encourage  us to manta in out integrity  and loyalty 

LIBERIA - YB 1977.pdf

Thank you for sharing Rozann!! :heart:

This story like many others - was so inspiring - I cried when I read their account.

Here is the PDF again (for those having troubles uploading)

The story of Liberia - the growth - the challenges - perhaps a long read - but ever so inspiring!!  - page 18 begins with a day at their assembly - GBARNGA ASSEMBLY - the year 1963 and their incredible trial and standing firm in their faith. 

I had not known of this til Rozann's request for the 1977 yearbook. 

May we gain strength in their resolve to honour Jehovah inspite of all that man throws in our way!

LIBERIA - YB 1977.pdf

This happened in March/April 1963. I was 10 years old at the time, and I remember when we heard about it some time later, it made me resolute in my determination to never compromise. Later that summer we attended the eight-day "Everlasting Good News" international convention at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA, where brother Knorr gave the final talk, based on Habakkuk to an audience of over 118,000. He was preparing us for persecution and hard times ahead leading to Armageddon. (The expression "the Great Tribulation" wasn't part of our vocabulary at that time). He closed with a discussion of Hab. 3:17-19. By the way, Brother Henschel carried a scar over the bridge of his nose from this incident for the rest of his life.

"In the morning, a new group of soldiers took over, and these appeared to be more sadistic. A few more Witnesses compromised and the rest were brought back to the field where they were struck again, both with rifle butts and with short whips. M. G. Henschel was almost knocked unconscious with the butt of a rifle." --- YB 1977

"Elsewhere, before ordering deportation, officials resorted to brute force to try to make everyone submit to their demands. At Gbarnga, Liberia, in 1963, soldiers rounded up 400 men, women, and children who were attending a Christian convention there. The soldiers marched them to the army compound, threatened them, beat them, and demanded that everyone—regardless of nationality or religious belief—salute the Liberian flag. Among those in the group was Milton Henschel, from the United States. There were also some missionaries, including John Charuk from Canada. One of the Gilead graduates compromised, as he had done on an earlier occasion (though he had not made that known), and this no doubt contributed to compromise on the part of others who were at that assembly. It became evident who truly feared God and who were ensnared by fear of man. (Prov. 29:25) Following this, the government ordered all the Witness missionaries from abroad to leave the country, although later that same year an executive order from the president permitted them to return." --- jv Chap. 23, p. 542

Edited by minister159

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley