JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Bill Cosby Convicted

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2179 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-cosby-verdict-comedian-sexual-assault-trial/

Bill Cosby was just convicted by a second jury of three counts of indecent assault against a female victim, which is apparently a type of sex crime.  The first jury could not reach a unanimous verdict after 52 hours of deliberation so the Judge declared a mistrial.  However, this second jury they say found him guilty, after deliberating for 14 hours.  

Having heard part of a recording of one of his early routines, this does not surprise me.

Back in 1980, when we were having some work done on our property, the guys doing the work (they were hired by a third party company) were playing a tape of Cosby. When I heard the tape, and they had it very loud, I told them they had to turn it off or leave.

It was one of the filthiest, disgusting "comedy routines" I have ever heard. Every bit as bad, if not worse than any of the routines I heard from Robin Williams or Richard Pryor - in their early days, when people complained about how bad their stuff was.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

That’s one thing that baffles me....how some of these guys think they can do whatever they want and get away with it. Common sense has to tell you that someone going to fight back sooner or later. They must be so full of themselves (like Satan) they can’t think straight. 

Mans of course they have no regard for others they use and abuse. 

He’ll never do any time in prison. They appeal and appeal. He’s 80 years old...they’ll find a way to keep him out of jail. But I think he’ll have to dish out some big bucks.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

47 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

They must be so full of themselves (like Satan) they can’t think straight. 

Mans of course they have no regard for others they use and abuse

Years ago, I saw part of an interview of one of his victims. She claimed that he did something disgusting (I will spare everyone the details here) and then told her that she had been blessed.. If her statement was accurate, this sounds about right. 

I'm so sorry about it.  :(  I used to wish Bill Cosby was my dad when I was a kid... he was SO funny and kind to little ones!

And "The Cosby Show" is still THE best family comedy show ever produced, in my opinion.  Regardless of his awfulness in person, it's a shame that show is not still running.. it was a wonderful depiction of family life.  Not much positive programming like that these days.

It's all just a terrible shame.  :( 

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

Having heard part of a recording of one of his early routines, this does not surprise me.

Back in 1980, when we were having some work done on our property, the guys doing the work (they were hired by a third party company) were playing a tape of Cosby. When I heard the tape, and they had it very loud, I told them they had to turn it off or leave.

It was one of the filthiest, disgusting "comedy routines" I have ever heard. Every bit as bad, if not worse than any of the routines I heard from Robin Williams or Richard Pryor - in their early days, when people complained about how bad their stuff was.

I'm surprised about that.  Cosby was known for his clean comedy routines - I have several of his stand-up recordings and that one video "Bill Cosby: Himself" that came out in 1983... it's still one of the funniest things I've EVER seen... 

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

I’m surprised too. I alway heard he was known for not being vulgar at his shows. :wacko:

Are you sure it was Cosby? I guess it not hard to believe now..

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

5 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

I’m surprised too. I alway heard he was known for not being vulgar at his shows. :wacko:

Are you sure it was Cosby? I guess it not hard to believe now..

I have a suspicion that might have been Eddie Murphy. I heard he had a famous, obscene bit where he imitated Cosby... his voice and everything. 

13 hours ago, EccentricM said:

A shame. He always seemed quite innocent and funny. Don't know people I guess.

This is the main reason why I oppose making these strangers your children's "role models" and  placing these people on pedestals. We don't know this people, so we can only associate them with the fantasy roles they play on TV.

I cannot imagine the amount of black kids that worshiped Cosby during the 80s and 90s, who had their lives shattered when it became known and proven true their "role model" sexually assaulted women for years.  But, the world seems to never learn from this, as they have always worshiped pro athletes, who time and time again have proven to be cheaters and philanderers, greedy, and many times financially irresponsible.

So while there will be initial shock and awe, they'll find another "role model" to follow tomorrow.

Edited by Bob

If it was Eddie Murphy, then he also imitated the label on the tape. When they took the tape out to put on something we could actually listen to, the label on the tape clearly had "Bill Cosby" written on it and a picture of his face.

Maybe they recorded over the Cosby tape?  I've recorded over commercial tapes in my day. 

I've never heard of Cosby releasing any raunchy recordings. I believe I have most all his albums on CD 

If there were naughty Cosby recordings that should be easy enough to verify. 

Whatever ......

I was the one who heard with my own ears and saw with my own eyes the tape I told them to quit playing because it was so filthy - and they were playing it quite loud.

However, I will bow to all those who say it couldn't have been him since they never heard him do such a recording. 

I am done posting in this thread :shrugs:

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Whatever ......

I was the one who heard with my own ears and saw with my own eyes the tape I told them to quit playing because it was so filthy - and they were playing it quite loud.

However, I will bow to all those who say it couldn't have been him since they never heard him do such a recording. 

I am done posting in this thread :shrugs:

There's no reason to become upset and disrespectful with one another over this.

Edited by JW2017

It’s hard to discuss nastiness for us. Just hard. I’m so through with this system. It gets more disgusting by the day. My husband is not in the truth, (yet) and we pretty much tape what we see on tv. The sitcoms are disgusting, even to him. 

Bill Cosby. I thought he was funny in his day. Some of his routines were on some sort of recordings. We had them. But now, it seems if you touch the world, you get tainted. 

He’s ruined, no matter what they do to him. He pretty much had his reputation and, money. Well, that facade has been dinged, big time. He was so proud of his, “honorable doctorates”, (phony?) Now he’s been striped of them. And he showed his true colors when he cursed in the court room. Just another nasty old man. 

Waiting to find out what is coming to him. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

11 hours ago, JW2017 said:

The Judge has said that Cosby can be under house arrest with a monitoring device at Cosby's Philadelphia home until sentencing.  Sounds like favoritism to me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/judge-orders-house-arrest-for-bill-cosby/ar-AAwro6l?ocid=spartanntp

Money money money.  And the associated fame. 

Any of us poor slobs in such a situation would have spent their time in jail from the moment of arrest to conviction and beyond. 

If your a politician or a celebrity you have a greater chance of getting favorable treatment. Some have gotten away with some serious stuff.....like Ted Kennedy. 

It may well be that he did dirty recordings, but I have never heard them.  My first exposure to Bill Cosby was when he was in I Spy in the mid 1960's, for which he won an Emmy award.  My siblings and I just about memorized his album (yes, in vinyl) called "I Started Out as a Child", where he introduced Fat Albert, and also his version of Noah's conversation with "the Lord" where Noah asked "Am I on Candid Camera?"  And the Cosby Show continued the importance of family values long after Father Knows Best and similar programs moved on.  

But how people act in the general media is often different from how they act in real life.  "Sex and drugs and rock and roll" became a mantra among the young in the sixties.  But celebrities, actors and musicians especially, are often excused from behaving morally, and although apparently, this wasn't the case with what Cosby was accused of doing, many fans ("groupies") have encouraged it.

Still, it hurts for me to discover that this man whose work I have seen for most of my life has messed up his life and reputation so badly.

I go along with sister Roberta, I never heard Cosby do a course stand-up. It doesn't match the image he put forth and we accepted. On f his albums from a planned natural childbirth "GIVE ME MORPHINE!", to "CHOCOLATE CAKE"  and "and then God put odor in the poo-poo", he was funny, likable and with the ability to get a laugh out of simple experiences we were all familiar with. I never cared for him on TV, too simple of plot lines in "I Spy" to too saccharine of a family head in the COSBY show. But funny, funny on his albums. Sad to see his life and the lives of those hurt end this way, but I have the feeling that justice was done, at least in part. :(

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.