JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Firefox and Monthly Broadcasts

We had this question sent in:

Hi.  I'm hoping someone can help with a problem we are experiencing with our smart tv.  We access JWBroadcasting through Firefox and have had no problem until recently.

Clicking on a video allows us to watch it as you'd expect,  however the curser changes to an arrow preventing us from watching further videos.  We have to come out ofJWBroadcasting and then return to watch another video.The same problem then reoccurs.   If it helps the tv is a Panasonic.

Thanks in anticipation of resolving our issue.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

What shape was the cursor before clicking on a video?

I only ask because my cursor is normally an arrow :shrugs:

Also, is the Firefox browser the default browser that come on the Panasonic TV?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes it starts of as an arrow to open up JWB but changes to a hand with a pointing index finger immediately I use the navigation on the remote.    Click on the video and it changes to an arrow, but navigate to  symbols at the bottom of the screen to enlarge picture it changes back to a hand and then an arrow, and no response.  We installed firefox, at least a young brother did.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

That sounds like a compatibility issue.

It appears that Papasonic uses some version or offshoot of Firefox OS for TV's. So, one would think that using FireFox would be the right choice.

However, Mozilla has stopped all commercial development of Firefox OS, including for TVs as per their decision in 2015 and have not offered the OS for TV's since 2016. I am not sure what OS Panasonic is currently using.

I would have to conclude that, if this is an older TV running Firefox OS that the newer versions of the FireFox browser may not be totally compatible

She could try loading a different browser, perhaps Chrome or Opera and see if that would work.

Seems there are quite a number of disappointed Panasonic owners who are having a variety of issues with their Smart TV's.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

If an alternate browser doesn't work, I would go with the $30 Roku Express to use the official JW Broadcasting app, and leave behind the embedded smart TV apps altogether.

Smart TVs, especially older ones, rarely receive software updates due to hardware compatibility reasons. When the rest of the internet moves past the capabilities of the old browser, you're stuck with outdated software, and the only answer you'll get from the TV manufacturer is to buy an expensive replacement for an otherwise perfectly functional television.