JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum
Bob

Bible-Based Child Protection Packet Released

I found the following info on Child Sexual Abuse in the United States:

"During the last three decades many state legislatures have increased prison terms and other penalties for child sex offenders. This trend toward more stringent sentences generally targets those perpetrators who are repeat offenders, those who victimize multiple children, or who stood in a position of trust with respect to their victims, such as a guardian, parent, pastor, or teacher."

I also read that only 35% of cases where a forensic interview took place get prosecuted.  

There are other failures. 

Interesting and sad.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from reporting and pressing charges.
Edited by JW2017

I have found that even reporting an abuse is a “form of liberation”..... it is no longer your secret. The other person is put on notice and groundwork laid if and when other facts come to light or other occurrences.... 

I have known some individuals that all they wanted was an apology and they would of forgiven the  perpetrator .... but not even a simple “I am sorry “ was forth coming. One thing is for sure healing is possible with the help of loving friends....experienced counselors and  developing a spiritual perspective on the evils of this old world.

7 minutes ago, Lance said:

I have found that even reporting an abuse is a “form of liberation”..... it is no longer your secret. The other person is put on notice and groundwork laid if and when other facts come to light or other occurrences.... 

I have known some individuals that all they wanted was an apology and they would of forgiven the  perpetrator .... but not even a simple “I am sorry “ was forth coming. One thing is for sure healing is possible with the help of loving friends....experienced counselors and  developing a spiritual perspective on the evils of this old world.

Very true.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, carlos said:

We have mentioned several times how the instructions published in The Watchtower at least from 1962 were that the victim of a crime (including of course rape and child abuse) has the right to report it to the authorities. The congregation doesn't protect criminals.

Well, it's actually older than 1962. Today I was doing some unrelated research on 1 Timothy 5:21 and the only reference was  w57 217. When I read that old article, I found the following:

Could someone post a link from 1962 as well. I'm just now seeing this. Thank You.

1 hour ago, JW2017 said:

Could someone post a link from 1962 as well. I'm just now seeing this. Thank You.

I found the article from 1962 that talks about serious crimes committed both by those inside and outside the congregation and the stand on the authorities handling matters:  https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1962843?q=benefits+of+subjection+to+authorities&p=par 

In particular pay special attention to paragraphs nine and ten.

2 hours ago, JW2017 said:

n particular pay special attention to paragraphs nine and ten.

Thank you for the link...Does this mean that if a publisher confesses to the elders that he stole money from another witness, that he should turn himself in to the authorities? Would the elders be obligated to contact the authorities if the brother failed to do so?😐

6 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

Thank you for the link...Does this mean that if a publisher confesses to the elders that he stole money from another witness, that he should turn himself in to the authorities? Would the elders be obligated to contact the authorities if the brother failed to do so?😐

I know that the elders have to follow the law if the law requires them to report a crime especially child abuse.  Usually if this is the case I believe it's the case with child abuse.  According to the new policy they have to report child abuse under certain other circumstances as well.

In our more recent publications it shows that we all have the right to report serious crimes to the authorities and take the matter to court even without a law requiring it.  They haven't said that we have to.  Although they've acknowledged the helpfulness of reporting rape and child abuse to the authorities.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2005563?q=rape+report&p=par

See also the Appendix in the original God's Love book under resolving disputes and Endnote 30 in the new one.  Also I'm sure people reading this thread have looked or will look at the new Packet on Child Protection which shows that everyone aware of the allegations has the right to report it to the authorities especially the victims and their parents.

Edited by JW2017

18 minutes ago, JW2017 said:

the elders have to follow the law if the law requires them to report a crime 

Thank you..I am not talking about child abuse or rape..but the 62 Wt. also mentioned stealing..just wondering if elders have to report that if the offender does not..and besides his confession there is evidence..

6 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

Thank you..I am not talking about child abuse or rape..but the 62 Wt. also mentioned stealing..just wondering if elders have to report that if the offender does not..and besides his confession there is evidence..

Oh I see.  The elders may have more updated info but this was a study article discussed at congregation meetings.  We could use this article to reason with reasonable people that we were not taught to cover up any type of serious crime back then or now, but  not just now.

Edited by JW2017

I was pointing out that legally if the elders have to report crime it's more likely to be about child abuse, at least in countries such as the United States.  I don't know if there are States that require them to report abuse of vulnerable adults.  I know that some professions do have to report that in the United States.  I understand that this doesn't answer the question about the stealing.  In this post I'm bringing up legal obligations again, which of course the elders are expected to follow.

Edited by JW2017

As for reporting things to authorities it is a judgement call ... if we find out someone robbed a bank as a opposed to someone not paying back a loan... two different things..

Elders are not commissioned to enforce Caesars laws... 

Again if in doubt they will contact the branch..

I should probably let this thread disappear... but I found this when searching for something else and it reminded me. :c Not sure if it was mentioned before.

w05 8/1 pp. 13-15  https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2005563#h=13

"In our time, rape is also a major crime with severe penalties. The victim has every right to report the matter to the police. In this way the proper authorities can punish the offender. And if the victim is a minor, the parents may want to initiate these actions."

2 hours ago, Myew said:

I should probably let this thread disappear... but I found this when searching for something else and it reminded me. :c Not sure if it was mentioned before.

w05 8/1 pp. 13-15  https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2005563#h=13

"In our time, rape is also a major crime with severe penalties. The victim has every right to report the matter to the police. In this way the proper authorities can punish the offender. And if the victim is a minor, the parents may want to initiate these actions."

Okay, so the point being made is?

10 hours ago, Old said:

Okay, so the point being made is?

Just to reinforce that it is still primarily the victim's responsibility to report crimes to the police, they are the superior authority in this matter. The brothers in the writing department know that this is the best possible course that victims should take for themselves. I just don't understand why some people aren't willing to do it. Jehovah asks us to report such matters several times throughout the Bible, and will bless that obedience.

Also, forgiving a matter is not the same as condoning it. You may have forgiven someone completely, but if you do not allow them to accept the consequences and discipline for their actions, how will that benefit anyone?

Sorry Sister Whitney, I missed that you linked the same article above... I did try searching to see if it was posted already.

5 hours ago, Myew said:

Just to reinforce that it is still primarily the victim's responsibility to report crimes to the police, they are the superior authority in this matter. The brothers in the writing department know that this is the best possible course that victims should take for themselves. I just don't understand why some people aren't willing to do it. Jehovah asks us to report such matters several times throughout the Bible, and will bless that obedience.

Also, forgiving a matter is not the same as condoning it. You may have forgiven someone completely, but if you do not allow them to accept the consequences and discipline for their actions, how will that benefit anyone?

Sorry Sister Whitney, I missed that you linked the same article above... I did try searching to see if it was posted already.

It's okay Myew, brother Alex, I've missed things before.

About one of your statements.  I would like to point out that it is our organization's position that in all cases that anyone that is aware of the allegations has the right to report it to the authorities, not just the victims. There is nothing wrong with others reporting it especially if the victim is still a minor.  Also one must consider that other children may be harmed.

Edited by JW2017

I agree 100%, I alluded to that in previous posts. I guess I'm just saddened that some people have chosen to shift the burden of responsibility to the Elders, rather than applying the Bible's counsel. They expect the Elders to handle everything for them, putting them in the line of fire, a problem that should never occur in the first place. This leads to stumbling.

1 hour ago, Myew said:

I agree 100%, I alluded to that in previous posts. I guess I'm just saddened that some people have chosen to shift the burden of responsibility to the Elders, rather than applying the Bible's counsel. They expect the Elders to handle everything for them, putting them in the line of fire, a problem that should never occur in the first place. This leads to stumbling.

I understand.  However I'm sure you understand the elders have to follow child abuse reporting laws.  However I agree that this doesn't mean that the responsibility lies completely on them.