JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Advanced search in Watchtower Library

In our MS school last Sunday we had an interesting talk about doing advanced searches in the Watchtower Library.

Most of the time it's enough to type the word or scripture you want information about and click Enter, but sometimes you may be interested in a specific expression. In that case, you can enclose it in quotation marks. For example, let's say you're looking for information on "the angel of Jehovah". If you simply type those words, it will find hundreds of publications that contain those words. But if you type "the angel of Jehovah" with the quotation marks, it will only show the publications that contain that specific expression.

Another operator I had never used before is the asterisk *. It replaces any character or group of characters. The brothers suggested using it with terms like expla* (that would find the words "explained" "explains" "explanation"...) or appl* ("application" "applies" "applied"). For example:

"parable of the sower" expla*

Other operators that are supported by Watchtower Library, although not explained in that talk, are & (and), | (or), && (followed by), ^ (one or the other)... There's a detailed explanation of those operators in the Watchtower Library Help > Search Expressions.

We had this presented at our school 3 months ago as well. 

Very useful features. 

Need to refresh my memory and go to help section ( memory fails too often these days) 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Other operators that are supported by Watchtower Library, although not explained in that talk, are & (and), | (or), && (followed by), ^ (one or the other)... There's a detailed explanation of those operators in the Watchtower Library Help > Search Expressions.

The same operators are possible to use with the WOL.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice helpful free app for the ministry and meetings by brothers in over 50 languages.

It's called My Tools Red..

email for them is titanestudiosorg@gmail.com

Sorry, just can't remember where I downloaded it from 😒 but that email might help...

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..