JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Met Gala 2018: Celebrities share divine looks on red carpet"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2178 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This year, the theme is Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination, which showcases how Catholicism has influenced fashion throughout history.

Celebrities hit the red carpet on Monday night, sporting papal-inspired gowns, chainmail costumes reminiscent of the Crusades and in singer Katy Perry's case - oversized angel wings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44034897

Celebs now portraying world religions in fashions. For some reason, it made me think of the scripture about Babylon's excessive luxuries and influence.

Edited by EccentricM

Yeah, looking at the gaudy clothes and jewelry made me think of 1 John 2:16 “because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world”

Definitley can tell that from those pictures.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

2 hours ago, EccentricM said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44034897

Celebs now portraying world religions in fashions. For some reason, it made me think of the scripture about Babylon's excessive luxuries and influence.

I was looking at some of these earlier .. until I deleted the 'news' email in disgust.  I didn't realise that they were portaying the worlds religions, though. Can they get any more outrageous or ridiculous!!! 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

I keep thinking...would Jesus be there?

Another thought, is what Christian inspired thinking is represented here?

One thing is, that whenever actors and musicians have awards shows, there would always be a "red carpet" period, where people who are really dressed up just stand around and pose for the cameras, and tell the celebrity journalists "who they are wearing."'

I can kind of understand their doing that, because they are actors and musicians, and presenting themselves in this way is a kind of marketing.

But, what was this about?  I understand that the Vatican approved of this - why?

Edited by rbrown1205

10 minutes ago, rbrown1205 said:

I understand that the Vatican approved of this - why? 

News to me, that just makes it even weirder. I mean many of the outfits are immodest. Even though they are pagan themed anyway, it would be a mockery of what was supposed to be holy.

1 hour ago, rbrown1205 said:

One thing is, that whenever actors and musicians have awards shows, there would always be a "red carpet" period, where people who are really dressed up just stand around and pose for the cameras, and tell the celebrity journalists "who they are wearing."'

Maybe they should just wear a plain white dress and glue sponsers decals on it, like a race car....

On 5/8/2018 at 10:02 AM, Miss Bea said:

Guess I’m jaded

No, just principled. .with Godly standards. ..

31 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Maybe they should just wear a plain white dress and glue sponsers decals on it, like a race car....

No, just principled. .with Godly standards. ..

I really haven't paid a lot of attention to the purpose of this occasion.  The men and women were dressed up in expensive papal vestment inspired clothing.  Why?  Were the religious leaders trying to find new ideas for their own clothing?