JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I'm asking this out of pure interest,  I have green eyes... I'm told that this is a fairly rare eye colour. 

I was born in England, I'm wondering how much genetics and country plays a part in this? 

My husband has brown eyes and yet one of our daughters has really bright blue eyes. ..  :uhhuh:

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

In Spain most people have brown eyes, an inheritance from our Roman and Arabic ancestors. The more south you go, the darker the eyes. In some areas of Northern Spain where the population is from Celtic origin many people have blue eyes. an interesting exception are a few towns scattered along the Southern Spanish coast: most natives there are blond and with blue eyes, which are the result of Viking raids in the old times.

I have green eyes too which may be a gift from my Russian great-grandmother or could come from God knows who. :)

Its been a while since my school days...
However, as I also have green eyes - (this was of interest to me...) I paid attention...
Eye colour is passed on from both your parents, each supplying 1 colour gene.
Broadly speaking..

1 is dominant (The B(Brown) gene), so it always wins. The other gene is the b (blue) gene which includes grey and green etc. It is the recessive gene.
If a child inherits:
B+B gene (1 from each parent) = Brown
b+b genes = Blue eyes

If the above 2 people married (BB & bb)
ALL the children would have brown eyes. They would inherit 1 gene from each parent. No matter how many children they had, the inherited eye colour genes will be B+b (one from each parent )

Bb (or bB) = is seen as Brown as the dominant B wins, BUT these brown eyed children CARRY the blue gene.

If 2 brown eyed people produced children - and if only ONE of them carried the blue gene, there will be NO blue eyes. (BB or Bb are the only possible combinations of genes)

If 2 brown eyed people produced children - and BOTH of them carried the blue gene, there is a chance of blue eyes. (Bb & Bb)
1st parent gene 1 =B plus 2nd parent 1 = BB (Brown eyes)
2nd possibility Bb
3rd possibility bB
4th possibility bb =blue

Mathematically there is a 1in4 chance of the child having blue eyes.

What we now know in your case, is your that your husband carries the blue gene. He is Bb and you are bb. There is a 50/50 chance of blue eyed children
HIM. YOU. RESULT
B. b. Bb. Brown
b. b. bb or blue

These are just mathematical possibilities. Please do not have 50 children to see if it works...
I am green, my wife blue. All our kids bb family of colours.
The Shades of blue, green, violet, grey and such is beyond my simple understanding of genes, but the above rules apply.
Google and Wiki can help... 8db74c7e51c9d592b1ac786c94991997.jpg

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

But may I just add...

If you want a clear explanation of the meaning of the great pyramids in relation to fulfilment of bible prophecy as outlined in the Studies of the Scriptures, let me know... ty

Older

33 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Dear anniebea,

I am old, and my schooling is old school.

I just read rockets link, and there are now 16 or so genes that make up eye colour...

So skip my above post. It (like me) is redundant

Older

After all that work. I think not! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I started out with brown eyes. However, as I have gotten older they are more green/brown. My Sister had very dark brown eyes.

My Wife has brown eyes. Her Mom had brown very dark brown eyes but her Dad and both her Brothers had blue eyes - very distinctive blue

Two of our daughters have the same blue eyes my Wife's Dad has.

The other two have dark brown eyes.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

DNA is wonderful. It keeps us guessing! My Kids grandfathers had blue eyes. Both their father and I have brown eyes. The oldest has blue eyes, brown hair. The second has green eyes, black hair, then came The daughter, dark complexion, brown eyes, and brown hair. The boys have a light complexion. 

I’ve actually had ones say they must have different fathers. Um, nope. 

I can’t help but wonder if there had been a fourth child, (again, um, nope) what would be that ones coloring? 

Both the dad and I had black hair, brown eyes, and darker complexion. 

It’s what it is! Jehovah made for variety! And variety it is! 

Edited by Miss Bea

Not telling!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

My mother had grey eyes and my father had hazel eyes.  I have green eyes and married a green-eyed man the first time, (both of us English).  All my boys have green eyes.  My second husband (Australian of Irish descent) has blue eyes, our daughter has green eyes but they change shade and go from bright green to a deep grey green depending on weather and how she is feeling.  I remember an old Dutch brother in my old congregation when she was a baby, said she had North Atlantic eyes, referring to the changing colours of the ocean. My third son has my eyes so completely that when I look at them it is like looking at my reflection in the mirror.  Quite spooky.  So 7 of us make up quite a large proportion of that 2%. :lol:  I have rarely met anyone else with green eyes.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

I have blue eyes. My mom has blue eyes. My 3 kids have blue eyes.

My wife and my dad have hazel eyes (brown most of the time, greenish hue once in a while).

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

I started out with brown eyes. However, as I have gotten older they are more green/brown

One of my sisters was born with blue, they turned brown as she got older, then they were green and now at 34 she has a mix of green/brown/hazel eyes.

1 hour ago, EccentricM said:

One of my sisters was born with blue, they turned brown as she got older, then they were green and now at 34 she has a mix of green/brown/hazel eyes.

I think Caucasian people are normally are born with blue eyes and then they either change or stay the same.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

1 hour ago, EccentricM said:

I think Caucasian people are normally are born with blue eyes and then they either change or stay the same.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

10 hours ago, Myew said:

Pretty sure mine are hazel, brown center with green around it, but used to be more green. Why does everything turn brown when you grow up? 😕 

Your eyes reflect your health and brown flecks in specific parts of your iris can refer to certain body parts not functioning correctly. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

• 4 weeks later...

I think any eye color other than brown is rare.
I wish I could say I have amber eyes. They're amber tinted, but I think they're just brownish hazel.
Amber, I read, is actually the rarest eye color. It's not the same as hazel as hazel is typically a mixture of different colors, whereas amber is just one color, and I believe they're caused by different genes.

I find heterochromia to be fascinating and some eyes that are more than one color in each iris are absolutely beautiful.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterochromia_iridum

9 hours ago, Katty said:

I think any eye color other than brown is rare.
I wish I could say I have amber eyes. They're amber tinted, but I think they're just brownish hazel.
Amber, I read, is actually the rarest eye color. It's not the same as hazel as hazel is typically a mixture of different colors, whereas amber is just one color, and I believe they're caused by different genes.

I find heterochromia to be fascinating and some eyes that are more than one color in each iris are absolutely beautiful.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterochromia_iridum

Alice Eve has Heterochromia.  Her right eye is green and her left eye is blue:

Screenshot_2018-06-14-08-03-58.jpg.90349b59cd0689e2f95406448bfd7c3d.jpg

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

As does Jane Seymore

image.jpeg.466bd5caed7c8e86469d638962d3ff43.jpeg

Green eye color is often confused with hazel eye color, yet is entirely separate and distinct. Green eye color is the rarest color found around the world, and it is estimated that only around 2% of the world's population has green colored eyes. Green eye color is a result of a mild amount of pigmentation in the eye with a golden tint. When combined with the natural blue scattering of the eye, the colors mix to give a green appearance. Green eye color is most common in northern and central Europe, but can also be found in western Asian cultures on rare occasion.

I used to work with a girl that had Gray Eyes. She is the only one I have ever seen with actual gray eyes - and they were pure gray, not silver.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~