JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Why I am not watching the Russia 2018 Football World Cup

First off, I was always a passionate fan of football (no, not American Rugby, the actual sport where you kick the ball with your FEET, hence: football). Also known by some as "soccer" *shudders

I think it's the best and most intense professional team sport in the world, and features a variety of interesting aspects, like techniques, skill, tactics, set-pieces and strategies. I also love the atmosphere in stadiums during an intense match.

However, there were always a variety of reasons to want to "boycott" professional football world cups. From the patriotic fervour to all the corruption scandals, violent football hooligans, I still felt I always had plenty of reason to look forward to and be excited about the football world cup.

This year, I will not be watching the 2018 FIFA Football World Cup hosted in Russia.

I did a lot of thinking if this would compensate my political neutrality, but it feels different than simply making a political statement.

With all the World Cups until now, I had the feeling that they were being hosted in a country that I don't have any particular relationship to, neither positive nor negative.. okay, maybe except for the 2006 one in my own country, which I still recall as the biggest and longest, most fun party I ever experienced. Back then I was still sporting the black, red and gold and wearing it with pride. For one thing, I wasn't particularly against a certain amount of national pride back then, for another, when the Cup is held in your own country, it's difficult not to be swept along with the euphoria even if you ignore the patriotic element.

This time, it feels different. Let's say that the World Cup is a festival that is hosted at some other Gatsby's estate each time, every four years they take it in turns for someone else to host the festival. There are so many guests that it is impossible to make a statement about the festival's nature. Within the villa, the rich guests have a debauched orgy and get drunk. Outside on the pattio, there is drinking and dancing to the limits but not as bad. Further outside in the gardens, people are having a good time and talking and relaxing. For arguments sake, the brothers and friends enjoying the World Cup are among those in the garden.

However, this year around, the festival is being held by someone who despises you and all your friends. In fact, he imprisons some of your friends in his basement.

Would I even consider visiting his party?

Absolutely not.

When is too much simply too much. No way I can even watch a single match with a good conscience, watching all these proud Russian officials presenting their spectacle while our brothers are being persecuted.

My true home nation is not being represented at the Russia 2018 Football World Cup. In fact, it is being viciously attacked by the host.

I like this article

Different Voices, Different Decisions

Does the fact that two Christians might reach different conclusions suggest that it makes no difference what a person does or that one of these two must have a weak conscience? No.

Explore more in the article.. :)

W07 10/15

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

might reach different conclusions suggest that it makes no difference what a person does or that one of these two must have a weak conscience? No.

That's why I wrote what I did the way that I did. Anybody who decides to be swept along with the hype of this year's "panem et circenses" is free to do so. I have decided, despite my passion for football, to give it a pass for a/m reasons.

It feels good to miss out on something you thought you loved that just doesn't feel the same anymore. Similiar to the new Start Trek series, or the Han Solo movie, which I am also respectfull going to give a pass.

Hi Ruben,

For many of us, it is hard to give up or "miss out" on something we enjoy that is a conscience matter, whether it is a movie, a sport, etc. So I think it shows a good spirituality about you, as you are trying to follow your conscience. (tu)

As for me, well I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I enjoy the World Cup matches as I really enjoy seeing the best soccer players in the world perform. However, while I may like a certain team because I like their players, like Argentina or Spain, I don't like these teams because of the country represented. You might appreciate this experience. During 1 World Cup Finals some years ago, we had a fun gathering of a number of brothers and sisters who enjoyed soccer and wanted to watch the Finals. We all enjoyed it, we laughed and cheered, but no one was fanatical or patriotic toward a certain team.

But I also realize that it is a good idea for some to avoid watching the World Cup if they have had issues with nationalism, being fanatical about soccer or for any other reasons. I do appreciate how you are following your conscience, not just with the World Cup, but with other entertainment. :)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Interesting, most interesting. But, Ha! I’ve escaped it all. I hate competition.. someone has to loose. Also, I’ve escaped giving thought to sports games. It’s like those oak trees out there. It exists. 

Rubin, I do appreciate the stand you’ve taken. I see how some do enjoy such, and, good for you! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I understand your reasons perfectly, Ruben. I don't care for football (I may be the only Spaniard who doesn't :lol: ) but we have a rule in my family never to never do tourism in countries where our brothers are banned or persecuted.

Russia, China, Cuba, most Muslim countries are a no no for us, attractive destinations as they are. There are so many nice countries to visit, why would I support with my money one whose government is attacking my family?

5 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

I hate competition.. someone has to loose.

I love it and I think it's part of being human to want to prevail against others, even friends. The question is just how it affects how you view yourself when you win or how you treat others who lose. In the end, everything is just a game. And no game can be played without a competitive spirit.

But that's for another thread.

Edited by ChocoBro

Interesting. I had not given it thought. I myself am not really into sports though, so I don't watch or partake in any. (With the exception of a passing interest in partaking in fencing and some old forms of tradtional/historical wrestling/grappling, though I watch no tournaments nor would I ever consider myself a "sports fan" of those things either as people would regard sports fandom, I follow no teams, shows or individuals, for me they are more akin to "personal disciplines").  If there were any other sports I enjoy simply partaking in casually when the chance arises amongst friends and family would be badminton.

Edited by EccentricM

I don't own a TV so I won't watch it. Generally, I kind of watched when it was France, or Japan playing... but I no longer have a lot of interest in football or sport in general, on TV, I mean. I started to swim again, it's good for the health and very nice during these hot days.

Of course, the same as Ruben, I didn't mean that it's wrong to visit those countries or that Christians shouldn't do it. It could well be argued that hotels and people who live off tourism are not persecuting our brothers, it's the government who is. 

It's just a personal choice, something I don't feel comfortable doing. :)

2 hours ago, carlos said:

Of course, the same as Ruben, I didn't mean that it's wrong to visit those countries or that Christians shouldn't do it. It could well be argued that hotels and people who live off tourism are not persecuting our brothers, it's the government who is. 

It's just a personal choice, something I don't feel comfortable doing. :)

I made similar decision just recently. Decided not to visit certain Arab country where holding hands in public is "an offense"

Legal system (in that country) based on a hard-line interpretation of Shariah law often lands foreigners in jail for offenses that few Westerners would dream were even crimes.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 7:00 PM, carlos said:

I understand your reasons perfectly, Ruben. I don't care for football (I may be the only Spaniard who doesn't :lol: ) but we have a rule in my family never to never do tourism in countries where our brothers are banned or persecuted.

Russia, China, Cuba, most Muslim countries are a no no for us, attractive destinations as they are. There are so many nice countries to visit, why would I support with my money one whose government is attacking my family?

Carlos, 

Well said! 

• 1 month later...

So, France won.

I'd probably be more interested in it if we had won...

:lol1:

(Have you had your MWM yet?)

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

53 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

So, France won.

Very interesting. Especially that Brother Jackson implies that the mark of the beast prophecy of Rev. 13 may yet have a deeper fulfilment. But we need to learn to be neutral now. 

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

So, France won.

I watched that video yesterday. Great information on how careful we have to be. 

Some may think they aren’t taking sides when they make comments. We just have to be so careful.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Very interesting. Especially that Brother Jackson implies that the mark of the beast prophecy of Rev. 13 may yet have a deeper fulfilment. But we need to learn to be neutral now. 

Where was this? I feel as if ive missed it and i dont want to. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk