JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hey . . We're out of urine !

So, I'm watching TV and a Tide laundry detergent commercial comes on.

It says the ancient Romans washed their clothes in heated urine.

So I Googled, and sure enough, the commercial laundry used primarily urine and water to clean (!) clothes.

They would leave jars around town and folks could 'donate' . The jars were collected and used in the laundry business.

Ahh . . The good old days 

That's terrible.

I read something similar about the other, more solid, human waste. While God's Law to Israel was to bury it thoroughly, the surrounding nations treated it like soap.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Well, what'd you know!  That urine is mighty useful stuff:

Modern Science uses it for:

• As a source of electric power. Urine-eating bacteria can create a strong enough current to power a cell phone.
  • Medicines derived from urine can help treat infertility and fight symptoms of menopause.
  • Stem cells harvested from urine have been reprogrammed into neurons and even used to grow human teeth.

The Ancients used it for:

• Urea decays into ammonia, which breaks down organic material. Urine-soaked leather makes it soft and was useful in the tanning industry
  • Even though early Europeans knew about soap, many launderers preferred to use urine for its ammonia to get tough stains out of cloth.
  • Urine not only made your whites cleaner, but your colors brighter, because the ammonia acted like a mordant (helped to develop the color of dyes as well as to bind it to cloth).
  • Gunpowder - prior to the 20th century,  makers of gunpowder took advantage of the nitrogen naturally found in pee to make the key ingredient for ballistic firepower.
  • Urine gives you a whiter smile, and as a mouthwash - Romans again (urghhhh!) That's the ammonia again.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/from-gunpowder-to-teeth-whitener-the-science-behind-historic-uses-of-urine-442390/

9 hours ago, Doug said:

It says the ancient Romans washed their clothes in heated urine.

I remember 'washing' my pants and bed sheets a few times, I don't know why my mom got so upset, I was just helping to do the laundry...:lol1: 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D