JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1867 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

8 hours ago, anniebea said:

It's supposed to be issued in the U.S. as well... but the Magazine will have a different cover not the one shown ... 

I wonder why the US cover will be different :shrugs:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Newsweek has been running several articles about us in Russia, and they are all favorable, imo

Firstly, there are over 1.2 million JW's in the U.S. alone, so I'm perplexed why Newsweek (NW) would not have available the same cover here that they advertise there in Europe or internationally. (I have family and friends, offline most of the time, who would like to see this eye-catching cover).

Secondly, with this reputable NW magazine, the unending news articles about them on jw.org exposing their brutal oppression of peaceable citizens and judicial biases, and the upcoming case/judgement from the European Court of Human Rights against them, the RF will indeed "dig in their heels", become increasingly defiant and hardhearted knowing that their reputation on the world's international stage is no longer credible. 

4 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

He probably got busted, lol.

Rather, it's a leak and it's copyrighted, and we're all screen capping it. 

I'm sure he had to hide it, at least temporarily.

But if you're reading this Michael, I will pay to have this international edition mailed to me.

Speaking of copyright restrictions,  is it legal for them to use the NWT or would that require authorisation?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Margaret said:

Reddit has the cover on Newsweek too, BUT beware the attached comments

I saw that... helped me confirm it was truly legit... those awful Redditors were at a loss.. 😒

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I saw that... helped me confirm it was truly legit... those awful Redditors were at a loss.. 😒

Yeah,  I am a reddit veteran,  I have been in plenty of discussions there. Same username if anyone is curious. ..

Some of the things people say are just horrid. It's hard to believe how awful some people are.  The anonymity of the keyboard warrior is embolding to some, there are a few things said to me there that I know they wouldn't say to my face..

2 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Some apostate hoax. I’m laying low until it becomes public. 

2 hours ago, Shannie said:

Is this real???

It's looking like it's the real deal. I don't want to speak out of turn but it has popped up in a few places. ..

8 hours ago, Qapla said:

and we were instructed NOT to put our foot in the door to hold it open

Good old times ...LOL :lol1:

19 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

It's looking like it's the real deal. I don't want to speak out of turn but it has popped up in a few places. ..

Where? Nothing is popping... for me?

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

59 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Some apostate hoax. I’m laying low until it becomes public. 

You're in the USA, so be careful.

Time and Newsweek, National Geographic... They're famous for having different covers and articles for USA audiences than the rest of the world.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/time-magazine-covers-in-the-us-vs-the-rest-of-the-world

13 hours ago, Saffron said:

feel shocked at seeing this, but don't know what to think

Made me think of Luke 21:28-32

28  But as these things start to occur, stand up straight and lift up your heads, because your deliverance is getting near.” 29 With that he told them an illustration: “Notice the fig tree and all the other trees.  30 When they are budding, you see it for yourselves and know that now the summer is near.  31 Likewise also you, when you see these things happening, know that the Kingdom of God is near.  32 Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all things happen.

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Speaking of copyright restrictions,  is it legal for them to use the NWT or would that require authorisation?

No authorization necessary and completely legal under Fair Use laws. 

It would be like me going to the zoo and seeing a bear reading the NWT and I cannot post the picture because the NWT is copyrighted, LOL! :D

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I just saw Glenn's topic posted Saturday..the link goes to a Newsweek article dated 5/18/18 about raids on witness homes. Is this perhaps the article we are waiting to see?😎

Screenshot_2018-05-23-07-53-51-1.png

Screenshot_2018-05-23-07-52-29-1.png

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

The comments on the reddit site.  😑.  Every time something about us is posted it’s like for every good comment there are 10 horrible ones. Same old spew of hate. Lies. Apostate style comments. Satan surely has blinded their eyes and Jehovah allows their hardened hearts to rule themselves. I long for true peace and security. I look forwarded to the rid of so much garbage. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

Don’t know if this belongs in this thread. 

Been waiting for this.... Saw this on my newsfeed this morning

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/leah-reminis-next-a-e-project-tackle-jehovahs-witnesses-1114006.

for those who don’t know, she is an American TV actress who left Scientology and has been “exposing “ that religion in scathing tv programs and interviews.    Although what she presents may well be true and her viewpoint well founded, she presents her expose filled with hate, anger and retaliation.  

I can imagine she will try the same tactics against Jehovah’s organization.  

14 minutes ago, booboo said:

Although what she presents may well be true and her viewpoint well founded, she presents her expose filled with hate, anger and retaliation.  

I can imagine she will try the same tactics against Jehovah’s organization.  

Very likely, but not a guarantee. Scientology was personal for her. This is about keeping the show going another season.

That said, she is almost certainly going to track down 'former members, who escaped' and give them a megaphone. We've seen it before, and we'll see it again.

17 minutes ago, Dages said:

Don't read Reddit, they have whole anti-JW sections.

This is true of most of the internet. People are 40x more likely to post negative comments online than positive. And that's not even considering the odds on 'factual' and 'just made up this second'.

The more time I spend online, the more convinced I am that the only reason people are polite, is because in person, they have to risk some consequences.

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

US cover features Bernie Sanders.  A more popular subject in the US than Russian persecution of Witnesses. 

Bernie Sanders! I mean, that is so 'Been there, done that.'

I'd rather see the bear clawing the Bible. But this country is insane for politics.

Newsweek is not Bethel, so we can hardly expect the article to be a Bethel release. They will probably botch a minor point or two. But overall, the article will be sympathetic. They will paint JW persecution as the thin edge of the wedge, next step is other minority religions. That is not wrong to paint it that way. Dvorkin has said as much.

The 'Bible thumper' is not meant to be an insult, most likely. It is simply a tongue-in-cheek play to their primary audience, who see us that way. Overall, the article will probably be very good thing for theocratic interests.

Edited by TrueTomHarley

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

When I was 16 or so the local newspaper wrote a very favorable article about the local congregation.  Well, the article was about door-to-door ministry and featured both Witnesses and Mormons.  They had a reporter go out in service with us for the day.  He rode in the car with the group and observed.  

As I said, it was a very favorable article.

My study instructor was referred to as "Bible thumping Tony Duer."

Plenty of people do not use Bible thumping as a derogatory term.

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

Plenty of people do not use Bible thumping as a derogatory term.

Yes. We can get pretty critical sometimes, quibblling over this or that point in an article. Look, instead, for the overall tone. 

After all, anyone who is spot-on 100% favorable to Jehovah's Witnesses becomes one themself. It does not lend itself to being a spectator sport.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

8 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Yes. We can get pretty critical sometimes, quibblling over this or that point in an article. Look, instead, for the overall tone. 

After all, anyone who is spot-on 100% favorable to Jehovah's Witnesses becomes one themself. It does not lend itself to being a spectator sport.

8 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Plus, there was Jehovah’s name on an international magazine that we did not print. Plus our silver sword. (Albeit a tad damaged)

Bible thumpers? In this worl of crassness and vulgarity, I take it as a compliment, thank you! There is no other book I’d want to be closely identified with.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!