JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Newsweek Cover

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1844 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

6 minutes ago, nanceebgd46 said:

Margaret,

How did you find that Newsweek Magazine in Reddit...I couldn't locate it?

What I did was just searched term Jehovah's Witnesses Newsweek cover and it popped up in three different sub forums. Don't read the comments they're not good at all, they'll probably give you cancer, that place gets pretty disgusting at times

10 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

What I did was just searched term Jehovah's Witnesses Newsweek cover and it popped up in three different sub forums. Don't read the comments they're not good at all, they'll probably give you cancer, that place gets pretty disgusting at times

Yes, reading them is as bad as visiting an apostate site...same lies and grossness..😒😠

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

3 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

They will probably botch a minor point or two. But overall, the article will be sympathetic. They will paint JW persecution as the thin edge of the wedge, next step is other minority religions.

This is actually very good for us that they will paint it that way, and we should not respond by acting as though we are the only ones suffering persecution. We are taking the brunt of it. That's enough.

Not everyone loves Witnesses, many of us have noticed 😁 and if it is just us being opposed, people may raise their eyebrows but decide that they can ultimately live with it. But to attack all minority religion - that is too much, from their point of view - and they are more likely to get worked up.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

20 hours ago, Dages said:

Incredible. Wow !

Will they speak about destroying religion already? We really are in the end. Can't wait to meet you all on the other side guys :D

Yeah, I feel the same. I'd rather wait till all your imperfections are outta the way before meeting you. It'll make a better first impression :P 

18 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

There was a Polish sister in my old cong, many years ago, who would rap on peoples' doors with a 50c piece. I used to want the ground to open up and swallow me. 

Wha? Maybe this is a regional term, but when you say "rap" and "50c" I cann really only imagine that meaning an old Polish sister rapping "50cent" songs until the house-holder finally comes out to stop her xD

18 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Yeah, I feel a little bit disappointed,  they told us the covers were Sister proof---

(ducking and running away, quickly)

Maybe sister proof... but not she-bear proof. xD

50 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

38 minutes ago, Dove said:

Yes, reading them is as bad as visiting an apostate site...same lies and grossness..😒😠

I've made this comment before, but as far as Reddit goes: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"...

I'm not sure if I'm going against the grain of people's opinions here, but I think the cover is actually quite striking. Striking both visually and in meaning. As far as them destroying a Bible to do it, I'm not the type of person who holds any sacredness to the physical book itself, it's the concepts within that are sacred. That being said, I hope they made a donation xD

9 minutes ago, 1MKnight said:

I'm not sure if I'm going against the grain of people's opinions here, but I think the cover is actually quite striking. Striking both visually and in meaning. As far as them destroying a Bible to do it, I'm not the type of person who holds any sacredness to the physical book itself, it's the concepts within that are sacred. That being said, I hope they made a donation xD

No -- I've worked in advertising and graphic design and I found that cover to be one of the most impactful I've seen in awhile.  It's very powerful, needs no words to convey meaning.  Russia represented by the bear paw, the NWT specifically used - not a generic "Holy Bible" - I think it's remarkable and applause worthy, really,  despite what it means for us.

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

This is actually very good for us that they will paint it that way, and we should not respond by acting as though we are the only ones suffering persecution. We are taking the brunt of it. That's enough.

I am not sure any Jehovah's Witnesses would have said that, and its not that we are taking the brunt of it either, because if we were, all "foreign" religions would be banned outright, though the focus would be unfairly on us. That's not the case, to my knowledge, though I am open to being corrected, brother.

So the persecution is altogether different. No, we should not wear is as a badge of honor as I don't and wouldn't. No one wants persecution. But I think we can say without hesitation that we are the targets right now.

1 hour ago, 1MKnight said:

Yeah, I feel the same. I'd rather wait till all your imperfections are outta the way before meeting you. It'll make a better first impression :P 

Wha? Maybe this is a regional term, but when you say "rap" and "50c" I cann really only imagine that meaning an old Polish sister rapping "50cent" songs until the house-holder finally comes out to stop her xD

Maybe sister proof... but not she-bear proof. xD

I've made this comment before, but as far as Reddit goes: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"...

Oh man!....lol, brother,  you are on a roll, that was hilarious,  thank you --actually made me laugh out loud. Scared the cat--

20161106_114302.jpg

The article was quite good. I loved the ending

http://www.newsweek.com/jehovahs-witnesses-939860

“We are hurt and insulted by the prohibition of our religious beliefs,” says Yelena, an elderly woman who owns the apartment. “But we’re not afraid. How can we be afraid when we have faith?” 😍

I liked it myself, but how does child abuse fit into this article, and since when does accusations = scandal, especially since he said the issue had nothing to do with the ban in Russia?

I did enjoy how he focused on our plight.

I think him mentioning the abuse accusations kind of takes the wind out of the sails of any apostate commenter and focuses the attention back to the subject of the article. IMO

2 hours ago, nanceebgd46 said:

I read the article...nothing new really...I am waiting on Jehovah 

to come forth,  with all power, to make himself known to the whole

world.

I agree. I can only imagine what all these people are going to think and feel once they see who Jehovah is!  🎶 We pray let it come, let it come! 🎶 

I pray Jehovah continues to gives all of our brothers and sisters strength to continue enduring their trials over there. 

I too enjoyed the closing comment from the sister.  Ties in so well with our DC theme this year!  3 more days and I can enjoy it. 

2 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

It's safe to say no bibles were destroyed in making this article.  With the talent on hand at Newsweek, it would be more economical to digitally manipulate the image to appear as it did 

2 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

On his post, he showed the bear he rented on set. It didn't even look like the front of our bible. I think the words were added on afterwards.

Was it a fake photo? 

7 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

On his post, he showed the bear he rented on set. It didn't even look like the front of our bible. I think the words were added on afterwards.

Interesting!  I would have thought the entire graphic was Photoshop...