JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1870 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I saw this quote on Instagram and couldn't help but smile:

A Russian bear going after a Spiritual Sheep # fair fight # David & Goliath

David replied to the Phi·lisʹtine : “You are coming against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I am coming against you in the name of Jehovah of armies, the God of the battle line of Israel, whom you have taunted. This very day Jehovah will surrender you into my hand, and I will strike you down and cut off your head; and on this day I will give the corpses of the camp of the Phi·lisʹtines to the birds of the heavens and to the wild beasts of the earth; and people of all the earth will know that there is a God in Israel. And all those gathered here will know that it is not with the sword or the spear that Jehovah saves, for the battle belongs to Jehovah, and he will give all of you into our hand.”

-- 1 Sam. 17:45-47.

Edited by Omoyeme

1 hour ago, Omoyeme said:

Can we stay on topic regarding the Newsweek cover and Russian situation...please!

1 hour ago, Old said:

What is the cat doing here? I am with Omoyeme on this one. :(

My apologies. ..

That's on me, I said I had scared my cat when I laughed and just put up a couple of pictures of her for fun...

Please,  don't mind me, do carry on---

I read the whole story by Newsweek on our brothers.  But the F&D S, have already published this story from last month, that frontal attacks have been happening to our brothers.  On the map the society shows in the News Release, it shows the regions in Russia, where friends have been attacked in their homes and had some of those homes burned down.    Russia, will not yield because it's current government is a puppet to the Orthodox Church.  What kind of Christ like people are they?  Treating their fellow Russian citizens like ISIS.  Now there's a real terrorist group the world has never seen the likes of.  But to against Jehovah's chosen people, well we will see how long Jehovah tolerates this abuse against his "eyeball."  

17 minutes ago, Allabord4Jah said:

I read the whole story by Newsweek on our brothers.  But the F&D S, have already published this story from last month, that frontal attacks have been happening to our brothers.  

I see your point Lisa but, as jw.org is the most religious website with the highest rated traffic, there are those who still don't know about jw.org or who don't care to visit the website.  However, Newsweek is an internationally reputable magazine and, along with their website, this major media source are further exposing the strong-arm/unjust tactics of the Russian authorities.  Also, other news sources will pick-up and reference this article around the worldwide web; thousands, if not millions - pro or against - will share the article through Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sources.

This type of exposure Putin's mother Russia does not want!  And they are going to get angry about it...very angry!  This is a public relations nightmare for the RF!

36 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

I see your point Lisa but, as jw.org is the most religious website with the highest rated traffic, there are those who still don't know about jw.org or who don't care to visit the website.  However, Newsweek is an internationally reputable magazine and, along with their website, this major media source are further exposing the strong-arm/unjust tactics of the Russian authorities.  Also, other news sources will pick-up and reference this article around the worldwide web; thousands, if not millions - pro or against - will share the article through Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sources.

This type of exposure Putin's mother Russia does not want!  And they are going to get angry about it...very angry!  This is a public relations nightmare for the RF!

Can you imagine the moment when Newsweek lands on Putin's desk..? I would like to see his reaction.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, Saffron said:

Bible Thumpers? Is that what people think we are? My eye was so drawn to the picture that reminds me of satan clawing at our Bible that I didn't pay attention to that part. 

This was an experience I had.  This happened about 15 years ago.  

While I was working at the local police department, one of the officers and I were discussing an ongoing incident. he was re shifting all of his gear, and uniform.             I said something to the effect of keep an eye on  (a certain house)  that's one of my friends.     I then went on to describe her house.    He said, "oh yea I know that house.  Isn't she one of those Bible thumpers?"    With a smile on my face I replied, "why yes we are!"   He slowly looked up at me, and was beet red.    That officer and I still work together today.   He works for another town but since I now dispatch for the county, I'm still one of his dispatchers.     

On 5/24/2018 at 6:04 PM, Omoyeme said:

I wonder if the traffic on jw.org has increased since the newsweek article.

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

The cover is good -  it accurately conveys the idea they want to get over - ie that the Russia bear is attacking the JWs (as represented by the NWT) and doing so with a ferocious violence that is shocking.  They are of course playing on the expression "bible thumpers" but in this case the "thumper" is not us but "the bear".  The bible being attacked is very effective as most people, regardless of their denominations view the bible as sacred and would be shocked to see on disfigured like this and as I said without showing any blood, it conveys the utter violence of what is going on in Russia to Jehovah's Witnesses...

The article was more or less truthful and sympathetic to Jehovah's  Witnesses

http://www.newsweek.com/2018/06/01/jehovahs-witnesses-939860.html

With the obligatory mention of "child abuse" not detracting from the fact that it exposes the harsh treatment our brothers are undergoing.  Maybe they'll tone the cover down for US readers but I think it does the job.  

Edited by sunshine

On 5/24/2018 at 2:11 AM, tekmantwo said:

I just keep a short handled ball pein hammer in my back pocket for that.  Works easier on the windows too...

😨

My 85-year-old mother, who has been a regular pioneer for some 40 years actually carries a small plastic toy hammer in her witnessing bag for knocking on some doors. 😮 She has arthritis and finds it difficult to knock loudly enough. I joke with her and the others about it and she says she really does use it on occasion. I just told her not to do so in my presence. Let me do the knocking. 🙂

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

5 minutes ago, digital_dreamer said:

My 85-year-old mother, who has been a regular pioneer for some 40 years actually carries a small plastic toy hammer in her witnessing bag for knocking on some doors. 😮 She has arthritis and finds it difficult to knock loudly enough. I joke with her and the others about it and she says she really does use it on occasion. I just told her not to do so in my presence. Let me do the knocking. 🙂

That's awesome,  I love it!!..'HI' to mom:wave:

When I had a service truck and did heavy eq repair I had a little plastic hammer in my toolbox. I used to offer it to my mech workmates if they were pounding on something that wasn't moving for them... the old 'get a bigger hammer'  joke thing...:hammer: :lol1:

On 5/29/2018 at 1:50 PM, normaclutter said:

I wonder if the traffic on jw.org has increased since the newsweek article.

I don't doubt it has. The brothers expected interest to increase after last July anyway.

18 hours ago, Margaret said:

Can anyone find me a hard copy edition?

Single hard copy available here: https://pocketmags.com/us/newsweek-europe-magazine

You will want last weeks edition, not June 8. Scroll down to 'Back Issues".

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

54 minutes ago, Stavro said:

That's for the digital edition, not a hardcopy.

Whoops! Didn'tread the fine print. :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I'm trying to figure out how to use the word unBearable in this thread...

:whistling: 

I can't bear the thought of you thinking you can't bear up under pressure. ..unbearably traumatic...

43 minutes ago, Old said:

Whoops! Didn'tread the fine print. :(

Good effort tho--, that counts. ..

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:31 AM, booboo said:

Don’t know if this belongs in this thread. 

Been waiting for this.... Saw this on my newsfeed this morning

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/leah-reminis-next-a-e-project-tackle-jehovahs-witnesses-1114006.

for those who don’t know, she is an American TV actress who left Scientology and has been “exposing “ that religion in scathing tv programs and interviews.    Although what she presents may well be true and her viewpoint well founded, she presents her expose filled with hate, anger and retaliation.  

I can imagine she will try the same tactics against Jehovah’s organization.  

I know about this.  She thinks we're comparable to Scientology which is absolutely ridiculous and outrageous.  But she's clearly been misinformed.  Her first season on Scientology was viewed by an estimated 2.4 million people in the United States.  I don't know how many people watched her so called expose on us.  I know it was very biased and she's sensitive because of her Scientology background.  I think there may be viewers in Canada.  I was looking through channels recently and I saw that a re run of one her episodes on her former background was playing. 

The following information is good to go over in my opinion.  Some of this is in other threads: https://www.jw.org/en/news/legal/legal-resources/information/packet-jw-scripturally-based-position-child-protection/ 

The links at the end are very good especially the nine minute video which came out a few years ago. We've only had the broadcasting website since late 2013.  

Resolving Disputes section in the original God's Love Book in the Appendix, End Note 30 in the new one; Remain in God's Love.  The following 1962 Watchtower showing our long standing position on subjection to the authorities and when a congregation member commits a serious crime. https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1962843?q=benefits+of+subjection+to+the+authorities&p=par  

It would be good to point out that the above W article was a study article gone over at congregation meetings and the original God's Love book was studied as part of our congregation Bible Study and it's primarily for us, Advanced Bible Students including our kids.

Also the cards and tracts directing people to the www.jw.org website.  That is if it comes up and someone really wants to know the truth about Jehovah's Witnesses.  The What Others Have Said in the August 2010 Awake is good and so is the beginning article in the same magazine. Also the September 1, 2015 Watchtower on Who Are Jehovah's Witnesses.  These are available on the website.   Of course we should keep the following in mind: https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/respond-to-accusations/   

Some of this information is good for us to go over for ourselves I feel. 

Edited by JW2017