JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dumbing down? New study suggests young people's IQs are in decline

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2113 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A new study, conducted by Norwegian scientists, shows that IQ scores of today’s young people are in decline, putting an end to the post-war trend of rising intelligence.

After the Second World War young people’s IQs were steadily rising. It was dubbed the Flynn effect after New Zealand intelligence researcher James Flynn. This phenomenon saw average IQ scores rise about three points per decade.

But researches from the Ragnar Frisch Centre for Economic Research in Oslo say the Flynn effect is now past its peak. In a paper, published in the PNAS journal, Norwegian scientists Ole Rogeberg and Bernt Bratsberg analyzed the data from standardized IQ tests of about 730,000 men, born between 1962 and 1991, who underwent mandatory IQ tests to join the national service.

The study revealed that the IQ points of those tested peaked among those born in 1975, while people born in 1991 scored five points lower. According to the scientists, this shift could be due to many factors, including the way children are brought up and educated. For example there is less drilling in subjects like mathematics and languages and the total amount of time spent watching television or using technology has increased.

https://www.rt.com/news/429738-study-young-iq-decline/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

5b225544dda4c847708b464f.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

If one smart phone lowers your IQ, get a second and you will be twice as smart. Smart phones are great, you don't have remember anything, the phone reminds you or you can look it up. You don't need to read maps or know where you are going, the phone tells you where to go. You do not need to have friends when you can blog or post comments like this, oops better turn this thing off before my brain turns to mush and leaks out my ears.

Edited by Wm-Scott

All I know the older I get the more stupid people are in this world. I said that to my Sister in a sandwich shop and the woman beside us said Ya I know its crazy LOL

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

There was another study that the average IQ has increased since the invention of the IQ test, so this decline may very well cancel out the increase haha

There are so many factors involved. The world is full of propaganda that dumbs people down, from the school system, mainstream media, and social networking. Also ever since the "sexual revolution", women have been less picky about their partners, so I really do think there are much less quality to the genes that have been passed on to the next generation. Also people don't read anymore. They "read", but a lot of people don't really read. Or if they do, it's intellectual junk food like Buzzfeed or Cosmo, or young adult novels. Even the adult novels have been dumbed down. I've been guilty of this too, lately, not of reading buzzfeed or cosmo, ew! but of not reading for pleasure like a used to. I used to read all my publications and then would read a book like Bleak House in little over a week. It used to give me so much pleasure, but I let myself get stressed out with the business of life. It can get you to do that. I think we can all make an effort to slow down, not in our ministry, but if we can take some time a week to just slow down and just take things in, and take time to do something that requires time and concentration, it might help reduce that brain drain  that comes with our technological lives. Also, for me, I cut social networking out of my life. It is a huge time waster, and was also ruining my self esteem.

It’s sad. Dumbing down. . Civility is flat out gone. Work ethic, well my husband and I sort of decided people put out about 60%.if they can get by with it, and, they mostly do. 

Civility? Rudeness is to be expected in the public for the most part. Ones behind the cash register. I watched a person be ugly rude to the person in front of me. I waited until she finished waiting on me, and told her she did not need to be working with the public. She should be stocking shelves. 

I know the place where we stay for our assembly just love us. They say it every time we check in. Just about. 

I can't imagine how some of their staff is treated. And not by us! 

My husband is downstairs watching some awful show on white supremacy. I couldn’t take it. Mean, ugly people, whom, I’m sorry, are not very bright. 

It’s  a sad world out there. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I have dyslexia. And, to this day, have a problem with spelling certain words. I’s and E’s. Other words too. (And I love words) Today, your device corrects you. And, I imagine there is a good amount of brain involved in cursive writing. (My handwriting is now awful.) And, I used to love to write letters. I received a real letter from a dear friend. Precious. 

My thought process...I need to sit down and write her. That’s really good. Now, will she consider it personal when I sit down and use a devise and print it out and sign it. Not quite as personal. 

Then there is my brain. I’m left handed, and it’s easier for me to print when I write now. I’m in my seventies, and I make keystroke mistakes when I write. I cannot imagine what has happened to young people’s brain. It’s almost scary to think about. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

IQ scores have been steadily falling for the past few decades, and environmental factors are to blame, a new study says.

Source-CNN

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2018/06/14/falling-iq-scores.cnn/video/playlists/cant-miss/

Study: IQ scores are falling

I agree. We don't see great acomplishments as much these days, or schools of thoughts. I'd say our understanding of tech and science increases over time, but we are losing wisdom, depth of character.

Look at the great minds and people of fame of the classical periods compared to now.

Music and art is a huge reveal in this. It's getting less creative in mainstream media but the same old, movies are just reboots now (and many poorly made), music is... a lot of the time "meh". Kids are eating detergent tabs for fun. News reports had recently said humour is becoming darker and also more meaingless. Modern art.. well... there are literally people trying to find meaning in a chair knocked on it's side and a trash bin in the middle of a room.

Modern movements are influencing the young with their trashy ideals and ridiculous philosophies. (I mean.. Bill Bye was standing up for gender fluidity in humans by comparing us to clownfish being able to change sex...). You can now be one of...40-something genders...  people are debating if you can legally be identifed as an animal if you feel it. Lttle children are being told in some schools to "pick a gender", which is causing mental health issues and stress on young students, young as 5 years old. I mean the world has gone off the rails. Years ago, people who put out such things would not of had a voice. Now the patients are running the asylum.

Internet can play a part, both in education "and" dumbing down. It's how you use it. On Facebook I see  (and we can all do this "time to time" of course) people just believing everything they see and hear. People are entertained by... the stupidiest t.v shows now, and I don't mean some form of quirky comedy or absurd humour, but I mean... reality t.v... and these people are praised as heroes, celebs, people to "look up to".

I've said before, ancestors were smarter than us, but just did not have accumulation of exeperiance or knowledge from prior ancestors of their own, giving the "illusion" they were dumber.

We are progressing... but also getting more stupid. It's a crazy paradox.

19 hours ago, Katty said:

I really do think there are much less quality to the genes that have been passed on to the next generation.

This is true - look at how much people pay to buy ones that are already ripped and washed out ..... it used to be they were only handed down if they were not full of holes.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, EccentricM said:

I agree. We don't see great acomplishments as much these days, or schools of thoughts. I'd say our understanding of tech and science increases over time, but we are losing wisdom, depth of character.

Look at the great minds and people of fame of the classical periods compared to now.

Music and art is a huge reveal in this. It's getting less creative in mainstream media but the same old, movies are just reboots now (and many poorly made), music is... a lot of the time "meh". Kids are eating detergent tabs for fun. News reports had recently said humour is becoming darker and also more meaingless. Modern art.. well... there are literally people trying to find meaning in a chair knocked on it's side and a trash bin in the middle of a room.

Modern movements are influencing the young with their trashy ideals and ridiculous philosophies. (I mean.. Bill Bye was standing up for gender fluidity in humans by comparing us to clownfish being able to change sex...). You can now be one of...40-something genders...  people are debating if you can legally be identifed as an animal if you feel it. Lttle children are being told in some schools to "pick a gender", which is causing mental health issues and stress on young students, young as 5 years old. I mean the world has gone off the rails. Years ago, people who put out such things would not of had a voice. Now the patients are running the asylum.

Internet can play a part, both in education "and" dumbing down. It's how you use it. On Facebook I see  (and we can all do this "time to time" of course) people just believing everything they see and hear. People are entertained by... the stupidiest t.v shows now, and I don't mean some form of quirky comedy or absurd humour, but I mean... reality t.v... and these people are praised as heroes, celebs, people to "look up to".

I've said before, ancestors were smarter than us, but just did not have accumulation of exeperiance or knowledge from prior ancestors of their own, giving the "illusion" they were dumber.

We are progressing... but also getting more stupid. It's a crazy paradox.

Matt, this is a comment of the month! :thumbsup:

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 6/15/2018 at 9:57 AM, TonyWenz said:

Maybe that is why we are just having the 'simplified' magazines now produced in English. For our non-native speakers, and our younger ones??? Lol

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

Not to mention those who can't read even as adults either due to poor schooling or some type of academic/social disorder

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

4 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Modern art.. well... there are literally people trying to find meaning in a chair knocked on it's side and a trash bin in the middle of a room.

I will need to reflect on this one for a while... :whistling:

At least if they painted a donut in the middle, it would help ...:lol1:

hqdefault.jpg

1 minute ago, Stormswift said:

A case of the Emperor's New CLothes - it MUST be art because its hanging in an art gallery.

I have concluded that painting on the left screams "look at me" and the painting on the right screams "I am better"

The middle one does not care as he is a "center of attention"

Meaning of the paintings solved! :lol2:

10 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

I will need to reflect on this one for a while... :whistling:

At least if they painted a donut in the middle, it would help ...:lol1:

hqdefault.jpg

That example is worth the million $. You see, it's an artistic representation of modern art... it's not art, it's nothing! Spectacular! The person who hung this deserved the riches he got! (In reality I probably put more thought into my "interpretation" than the artist put in... that.)

No i respectfully disagree ...it's actually a play on light .. the artist has layered different colours under a layer of stark white ... like that white that shows up under disco lights ... so all you see is white light and the rest of the painting remains a mystery.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

6 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

No i respectfully disagree ...it's actually a play on light .. the artist has layered different colours under a layer of stark white ... like that white that shows up under disco lights ... so all you see is white light and the rest of the painting remains a mystery.

:lol1:...obviously sophistication is needed to see that ...