JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you guys mind If I post pics of things I make?

Ok thanks guys. Right now I am making Patio Cooler stands. Here are some pics

1st one is gluing up the legs.

20180507_162401.jpg

This one I was assembling the frame for it.

20180511_171953.jpg

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Im making Patio coolers. You will see it better with more picks

here I am installing the boards on the outside. Everything is Upcycled materials. These boards are from Heat Treated skids. The second pic has the top on its make out of cedar that I salvaged. 

20180513_190926.thumb.jpg.1ce3636ce53268d1f4c2579cd4bf71f1.jpg

20180517_124211.jpg

There is a wine rack on the bottom shelf with extra space beside that. I take a new cooler and wrap a frame around it then build a wood lid to fit over the cooler lid It is glued on with a special caulking I use that will stick to plastic.  There is a copper and brass outlet with a tap to drain the water out of the cooler. It will keep ice for 3 days.

1 hour ago, Greg Dent said:

There is a wine rack on the bottom shelf with extra space beside that. I take a new cooler and wrap a frame around it then build a wood lid to fit over the cooler lid It is glued on with a special caulking I use that will stick to plastic.  There is a copper and brass outlet with a tap to drain the water out of the cooler. It will keep ice for 3 days.

Very nice!  How many hours do you have to put into one?  And, what do you get for them?

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Nice - what brand cooler do you use?

My brother and I are always looking for things we can make from recycled pallets and other reclaimed wood.

We do have drum sander for cleaning some of the wood up like new.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I am asking $500 for them and if they want lettering on the front or the lid I am charging an extra $100. If they want another type of stop say a slab or a chunk of stone the price would go up a lot more. Here is the one I made for a local pub. They are doing a draw on it so I can get some publicity. I put a coleman cooler in these. Got them at Walmart cheapest pricing I could get for the cooler. This one is premium. I used brass fasteners in it so the fasteners would not corrode being outside.

20180517_144830.jpg

I put the Name of the Pub on the lid of the cooler. Strykerz.

All i did after it was together is used a random orbital sander over the wood to take slivers off and clean them up a little I like the rough look and with the finish I put on them it makes the saw marks on the wood pop. If you run your hand over it it feels like its oiled. I use Flood CWF UV fence and siding finish on these.

I also do some furniture repair. Had a fella drop off a wooden rocking chair that was falling apart. I took it all apart scraped the glue off the tendons and holes. I then made some new wedges and glued the whole thing back together and clamped it overnight. Set the new wedges and Bob's your uncle. Was a fun little job.

4 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Is a drum sander easy for us ladies? (I'm not good with large scale equipment).

a lady can use any tool I use. There are lots of ladies on youtube with building woodworking channels. 

One bigger one that has her hand in all kinds of things is Ann or All Trades.  Another one is April Wilkerson. She built her whole shop from the ground up with help of a few people with muscles.

The drum sander is small enough to be placed on the work table. It is actually smaller than the 13" planer even though it will sand boards up to about 20" wide (you flip them over and send them through a second time.

My table saw is inset into a 5' x 12' work table. We made it so we can drop a router into the table when needed.

If building something rustic I would not sand the wood "clean" either - what you made there, Greg, looks really good. Have you ever made one where the cooler has an inset lid instead of the lid being raised?

We have been trying to make some tables and have a few other ideas. Some of these would require "clean" wood, thus the drum sander.

I didn't think of insetting the lid. Thanks. I glue the wood to the lid because I don't want to have fasteners penetrating the cooler lid. Thanks for that idea. I am thinking of making plans for it and selling the plans. Include a cut list with it. 

I really like the idea of gluing the lid - I wouldn't want fasteners in it either.

Is the bottom area empty?

Have you considered having the entire top hinge open in addition to the lid being hinged. That way, the portion around the cooler could be used for storage.

I like the look of it :thumbsup:

Thanks. I took the hinges off the cooler and once the glue was dry I installed brass hinges on the back of it.  Under it it is hollow but the bottom of the cooler is near the bottom of the skirting on the front. The shelf under the front skirting is a wine rack.  On the left side of the table there is framing to help support the cooler with the weight of the ice drinks and things you need some good support. I used Urethane adhesive with screws for the construction so it would stand up in rain and cold.  

• 3 weeks later...

So I found one flaw by accident. The adhesive I used lets go of the cooler lid. Was not expecting that. The one I made for my sister fell out. Will have to fix it. I will put 2 holes on each end and insert 2 screws into the ends of the lid. They way they will be kind of hidden. 

Here is the latest one. I burned the letters with a torch and then fogged the Yellow parts with light passes over them with a spray bomb of yellow tremclad rust paint. 

20180709_193507.jpg

I love anything like this that repurposes old stuff. I have a bunch of barn boards in my greenhouse, my fence guy is using some it to make my 2 gates and to frame out one of my existing pergola's for one of the gates. I'll have to take a picture of them when they're done.

I wish you were closer, I'd get one of those coolers for sure!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34