JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Heat Advisory for pretty much all of Ontario.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2110 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Issued at 11:17 Friday 29 June 2018

An extreme heat event for the Canada Day long weekend. 

Beginning today and continuing through the Canada Day long weekend, daytime highs are forecast to reach the low to mid thirties with humidex values into the mid forties. Overnight low temperatures are expected to be in the low to mid twenties, except high teens in some rural areas, providing little or no relief from the heat.

Current indications suggest hot temperatures could persist through next week. This will be the most significant heat event in the past few years.

Forecasting Highs in the mid 30's with Humidex readings in the mid 40's. 

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/kitchener

35 c is 95F add the humidity it feels like 113F which is about 45C Crazy hot. 

We are not used to that its nuts.

Edited by Greg Dent

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

1 hour ago, Ferb said:

Here in Britain we've had some severe weather warnings this week because the temperatures were in the high twenties.

Hey, we're not used to it like the rest of you!

I'm used to high heat here in the high 30's and low to mid 40's but when I was back home in England in June a couple of years ago it was stifling and it was only in the low to mid 30's.  I had either forgotten or never realised that England could be that sultry.  It was awful. 

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

We've been given a humidity warning  I don't think I've ever seen that one before.

A warm and humid airmass will gradually settle over the Maritimes this weekend and persist into next week. This airmass has the potential to bring very warm temperatures and elevated humidex values to Prince Edward Island beginning on Monday.

4 hours ago, Katty said:

You know when there's a heat advisory in Canada the rest of North America is pretty much doomed. Hopefully it'll get better tho.

Oh, no ! our igloos are going to melt eh?....lol

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

4 hours ago, Ferb said:

Here in Britain we've had some severe weather warnings this week because the temperatures were in the high twenties.

Hey, we're not used to it like the rest of you!

True, true. When I think of places so far north with heat advisories, I can't help but think of what happens when it snows down here. We don't know how to dress, how to drive, and a lot of things shut down. We do know how to deal with the heat though, as much it's humanly possible. I, for one, hate, living in a hot region!! For one thing, it's easier to warm up and bundle up when it's cold, but you can only take off so many clothes and be in good standing in the congregation XD XD XD. Plus hot weather means cockroaches even when you have a clean house 😠

Edited by Katty

8 hours ago, Katty said:

True, true. When I think of places so far north with heat advisories, I can't help but think of what happens when it snows down here. We don't know how to dress, how to drive, and a lot of things shut down. We do know how to deal with the heat though, as much it's humanly possible. I, for one, hate, living in a hot region!! For one thing, it's easier to warm up and bundle up when it's cold, but you can only take off so many clothes and be in good standing in the congregation XD XD XD. Plus hot weather means cockroaches even when you have a clean house 😠

Ohhhhhh no .... I couldn’t stand cockroaches- yikes.  In the UK we hit 30 and I’m loving it.  We have a plague of flies though.  They drive me insane.  

Sometimes we find those heat advisories "interesting". While we understand that heat related issues are a real concern and various health issues are caused by such heat - what we find interesting is that the temperatures of these heat advisories are for temperatures that, when we have such weather, we do not get heat advisories

We listen to the news and they talk about how hot it is in some areas and how bad it is with temps in the mid to upper 30/90 degree range with a heat index of 43/110 and barely mention that it was 37/99 here with 85-90% humidity with a heat index of 48/120 because that is "normal" for Florida.

BTW - when it is upper 90's to lower 100's (32-37) with 85% to 95% humidity here, it is not called "climate Change" - it is called July and August

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

yes it was very bad. We had a break from it yesterday. What a relief. High of 70F or 21 C was very nice to open all the windows in the house and work with the shop door open. Heat will be back Monday or tuesday. We need rain bad. We have had none at all for over 2 weeks. The little we did get was nowhere near enough to do anything. London Ont got soaked so did toronto and the niagara region but we got nothing at all. Region will soon shut down lawn watering all together. We are only able to water the lawn once a week now. (Not that anyone does)  Next step is nothing at all. They demand companies to shut off all sprinkler systems. They should have to collect rain water in cisterns to water their grass. Home owners can collect that much but they sure could.

In service this morning at 9am in Arizona it was 100 degrees (37.8 C) with a high of 109 (42.8 C).   

Last week we had a 115 (46.1C) and barely starting July which along with August are really warm.   I cannot tell you the last time it actually rained at my house, possibly 5 or 6 months ago? 

Just to put things in perspective.  But we feel your pain often.

And many yards have rocks here but there are some lawns and parks and golf courses with grass.   Things are generally watered every 2 days when it's hot.  

It does snow in Arizona by the way...

With Arizona just starting to warm up, I feel the need to post this warning again!

Don't say I didn't warn you!  :lol:

What Ever You Do Don't Move To Arizona.
May 30th:
Just moved to Phoenix, AZ...Now this is a city that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and
warm balmy evenings. Mountains and deserts blend together. What a place! Watched the sunset
from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home.
I love it here.
Welcome to our town:

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air conditioned home, drive an
air conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sun
worshiper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a
breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat?
At least it's nice and windy though. But getting used to it is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed two days of work,
what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the old sun in a climate like
this.

July 20th:
I missed Morgan (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got out
to the hot car for lunch, Morgan had swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and exploded all
over $2,000 worth of leather upholstery. I told the kids she ran away. The car now smells like
Kibbles and poop! No more pets in this heat!!

July 25th:
This wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it's hot as heck. The home air
conditioner is on the fritz and AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he
needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. $1,500 in stupid house payments and
we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

Aug 4th:
It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the
temperature down to about 90. Stupid repairman leaked in my pool.
I hate this stupid city.

Aug 8th:
If another wise acer cracks, "Hot enough for you today?", I'm going to tear his throat out.
Stupid heat!
By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like
roasted freaking Garfield!!

Aug 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts and sat on the black leather seat in the ol'
car. I thought my butt was on fire. I lost two layers of flesh. Now my car smells like burnt butt and
fried cat.

Aug 10th:
The weather report might as well be a tape recording: Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do
Squat for two months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it
ever rain in this barren desert?
Water rationing will be next so $1,700 worth of cactus just might dry up and blow into the damn
pool. Even a cactus can't live in this heat.

Aug 14:
Welcome to Hell!! Temperature got to 113 today. If I had wanted to move to Death Valley, I
would have moved there instead.
Forgot to crack the window and blew the damned windshield out of the Lincoln. The installer
came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?"
My wife had to spend the $1,500 house payment to bail me out of jail.

Author Unknown 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

This made me laugh so hard  that I'm going to print it out just so I can make myself laugh over and over again.... :lol1:I probably shouldn't think it's so funny since I have a grandson living  it in Tucson....😏

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

At least living in Florida it doesn't quite get the mercury up over 110F degrees that often and we don't go quite that long without rain .........

Instead, because of the extreme high humidity, though it may not actually be 110F - it feels like it is 115F-120F and you are soaking wet by the time you get to the first door in the morning when out in service.

Of course, things do cool off a bit when we get our daily dose of 1"-2" rain between 3 and 5 pm ..... except for those days when the rain comes around 1 pm and the resulting steam makes it feel like 130F.

At least it is back up to 90F - 95F by bedtime so the roads will be nice and dry for the morning.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We’ve gotten extreme heat advisories for the last week, and into next week. Next Wednesday may be 106. That is what is predicted. Right now, we are trying to keep everything alive. We know the water bill will go up, but...

Right now I am thankful the thunderstorm did nor start a fire. 

But, coming home tonight, there was a house, or shed on fire. Lots of flames and ugly smoke. I hope no one was hurt, and it is contained by now. 

Everyone needs to be careful and take care of what they can take care of, including themselves. 

Stay hydrated, friends...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Just incredible. Up in Moosonee Ontario. Google it and see how far north it is. Its way north of the arctic circle. High Today there is 30 C humidex of 35 Normal for them is 20C  30 is 86 F they never see temps like that ever. Umm wonder how much arctic ice shelf we will lose this year. Oh but there it no global warming going on. None at all. What ever.

There is a total fire ban across Ontario. We have not had any significant rain since the first of june. 

Edited by Greg Dent

OT

I have a daughter in Brantford. And three grand kids, oh, and a Dutch son in law! I was up there last year. Went to the Six Nations Reserve. Wonderful gift shop. 

Plus, I got to go to Paris! 

13 minutes ago, Greg Dent said:

Oh wow you were traveling all around me. Didn't even stop in for coffee my word LOL!

Um, the one thing you folks have that I loved is the French fry stands. French fries with vinegar. We snuck off daily for that treat!