JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How do you button?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2108 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

2 hours ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

This sort of thing shouldn't even be mentioned among us 😉

I was watching the monthly broadcast and noticed our brother's coat wasn't buttoned up entirely.... I wouldn't have even noticed if it weren't for this thread.  

Why not mentioned?  😮  :(

No - they're never buttoned up entirely.  You always leave one unbuttoned.  You *do* unbutton when seated, if desired.

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

When I'm on stage I am more concerned about my zipper than my jacket. 

I bet you can think about both at the same time, though... 😉 

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

The traditional buttoning rule for a three button jacket – sometimes, always, never. For a two-button jacket – always, never. And for a one-button jacket – always.

That sounds like my brain trying to multitask. I can remember one thing, I sometimes remember two but I never remember three...:(

Speaking of three button suits, I know a brother that insists on buttoning the top button and leaving the next two button open. It doesn't flatter his shape anymore than an open flap on a tent...:(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'd like to thank everyone for their input and this thread.  I've never known the importance of buttoning up my jacket and no one has ever brought it to my attention. One is never too old to make improvements. I will definitely be more mindful, especially when on the platform.

Edited by Vinnie

because life edits are important too

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

2 hours ago, Hope said:

Why not mentioned?  😮  :(

No - they're never buttoned up entirely.  You always leave one unbuttoned.  You *do* unbutton when seated, if desired.

I gave you my answer above, not to be mentioned because then I don't notice such things.... lol

I think it looks sloppy to leave only the one button buttoned.  

1 hour ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

I gave you my answer above, not to be mentioned because then I don't notice such things.... lol

I think it looks sloppy to leave only the one button buttoned.  

I notice all sorts of details... for me, the details are what make things interesting  :P 

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I notice all sorts of details... for me, the details are what make things interesting  :P 

Check this pic out, I noticed an interesting detail too. (that I wouldn't have before) :detective::lol2:

Most of the time when I first see a person, I notice their eyes, eyebrows and teeth.  I don't often get past the shoulders, and certainly not to their suit buttons, unless they're not wearing a coat, then I might notice what colour of shirt they're wearing.  Weird eh?  Then I skip to their shoes.  I near fainted when I saw a fellow at our convention wearing WHITE SHOES!!!!  AIEEEEEE. 

Kennedy.jpg

Some Brothers cannot button their coats and cannot afford a new one that "fits properly"

As to "sports coats" - I know we were told not to wear "leisure" suits/coats - but, just because a coat does not match the pants 100% does not make it a "sports" coat or a leisure coat. There are multiple piece suits that contain a reversible vest with one side solid and the other printed and/or contrasting color. Some of those suits come with a solid pair of pants that match the coat AND a pair that matches the print/color of the reverse vest.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

38 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Some Brothers cannot button their coats and cannot afford a new one that "fits properly"

As to "sports coats" - I know we were told not to wear "leisure" suits/coats - but, just because a coat does not match the pants 100% does not make it a "sports" coat or a leisure coat. There are multiple piece suits that contain a reversible vest with one side solid and the other printed and/or contrasting color. Some of those suits come with a solid pair of pants that match the coat AND a pair that matches the print/color of the reverse vest.

Not in my budget. :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 6/30/2018 at 8:32 PM, TonyWenz said:

While we are talking etiquette, what about wearing hats or caps indoors, especially places of worship...? 

When Denise and I lived in Iowa there was a young man, maybe 10yrs old, who wore a nice fedora style hat to the Sunday meeting.  He was walking around, smiling, proud of his hat and enjoying the friends comments. 

A few minutes later I saw him in his seat, hat on his lap, looking quite chastised,  undeniably unhappy...and the hat never came to another meeting. .

I guess someone had a talk with him...

A couple years later we moved back to California,  there was a wonderful Brother that developed a cancerous tumor on his upper chest,  above his heart,in his lower neck, intertwined amongst all the important bits that live there. 

The surgery was deemed too risky so they hit him with all the other stuff, chemo and radiation. He subsequently lost all his hair.

He wore a hat to meetings, one of those flat newspaper kid style, I don't know the proper name for it. He wore it the whole time he was there.

He was a Ministerial Servant as well and hated the thought of not carrying his share of the load, insisted that the Body include him in meeting parts. He wore the hat onstage as well.  When he conducted morning service,  the hat was on. I don't believe I ever saw him without it on.

I guess,  in a way,  it's like a beard...ok anyplace you live, more ok in other places you live. 

I put this in the category of personal choice. Next thing we’ll be trying to dictate the colors that should be worn. Or, God forbid....whether you should wear a beard or not. :whistling:

I recall years ago when I was new to  conducting the school, i counseled a brother about not having his jacket buttoned. He asked me where in the school guide book it said that. I said it doesn’t . He said, I guess it’s a personal opinion then. I got the point. 

I do agree with the opinion that at times and on some people it looks better, but I don’t think it should become a major issue like certain other things. :whistling:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

10 hours ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

Check this pic out, I noticed an interesting detail too. 

Kennedy.jpg

I noticed something too. They were all womanizers. :coffee:

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

2 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

I put this in the category of personal choice. Next thing we’ll be trying to dictate the colors that should be worn. Or, God forbid....whether you should wear a beard or not. :whistling:

I recall years ago when I was new to  conducting the school, i counseled a brother about not having his jacket buttoned. He asked me where in the school guide book it said that. I said it doesn’t . He said, I guess it’s a personal opinion then. I got the point. 

I do agree with the opinion that at times and on some people it looks better, but I don’t think it should become a major issue like certain other things. :whistling:

I'm amazed that someone would challenge the School conductor's counsel in such a way! 😮  Pretty sure there's never been anything in the book about seeing sisters knees on the platform but that counsel is not challenged.. 

26 minutes ago, Hope said:

I'm amazed that someone would challenge the School conductor's counsel in such a way! 😮  Pretty sure there's never been anything in the book about seeing sisters knees on the platform but that counsel is not challenged.. 

I dont view it as a challenge if someone disagrees with my opinion, especially my opinion relating to their choice of dress. He wasn’t belligerent.

The short skirt thing I think is different because it could easily  be immodestly revealing. 

If by chance the jacket unbuttoned created an immodest situation then it would fall into that category, but just button or unbuttoned in and of itself to me is personal opinion/taste.

Edited by Pjdriver

23 minutes ago, Hope said:

I'm amazed that someone would challenge the School conductor's counsel in such a way!

I hope it was just respectful feedback and not a challenge. Everyone should be receptive to respectful feedback..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Hope said:

I guess as a sister, I can't imagine asking a brother to confirm his counsel with a book quote.  I might look it up myself at home, but all I'd do in person is thank him for his comments. 

That's very humble of you, although I've had more than one sister lovingly remind me that I wasn't always right...:)

I put this in the category of personal choice. Next thing we’ll be trying to dictate the colors that should be worn.

In the old days when the DO would take the TMS at the Circuit Assembly, he counselled the brother about wearing a black shirt. He did this from the platform in front of a thousand people. Made the student cry. So there are some out there....

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

That's very humble of you, although I've had more than one sister lovingly remind me that I wasn't always right...:)

Waaiiittt, ....whut? You got any specific date? or time?...

This is me, about a month ago.  Steve, with his back towards us, is almost exactly the same size as myself.  I think I am about half inch taller.  I gave him that suit so I don't think it knows how to button itself....

(This pic looks funny, like I have a big belly...and I don't)

imagejpeg_1.jpg

2 hours ago, Hope said:

I guess as a sister, I can't imagine asking a brother to confirm his counsel with a book quote.  I might look it up myself at home, but all I'd do in person is thank him for his comments. 

Personally,  I have no problem with a Sister asking for a clearer understanding,  anyone should be able to ask anyone for clarification. ..

I used 1Cor 2:9 in a talk, but I applied it to us, present time...

The next meeting she asked if we could talk and she very trepidatiously reminded me that the Scripture that I used applied to 1st Century Christians,  not to us.

I  didn't mind that one bit. We all need some feedback at times, I thanked her for hers....

44 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

In the old days when the DO would take the TMS at the Circuit Assembly, he counselled the brother about wearing a black shirt. He did this from the platform in front of a thousand people. Made the student cry. So there are some out there....

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

A brother from our Congegation had the 'Instruction Talk" at a circuit Assembly, At the walk-thru he was told by the DO he could not do the part in his black shirt. The brother went out and located a white shirt and went on to do his part. At that time the only people you would see in a black shirts were Mafia types or the bad guy in a Western movie. The stigma of Mussilini's Blackshirts was stil on the minds of many of the older pubs.

(Maybe that is why they did away with the DO position) :D

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Old said:

A brother from our Congegation had the 'Instruction Talk" at a circuit Assembly, At the walk-thru he was told by the DO he could not do the part in his black shirt. The brother went out and located a white shirt and went on to do his part. At that time the only people you would see in a black shirts were Mafia types or the bad guy in a Western movie. The stigma of Mussilini's Blackshirts was stil on the minds of many of the older pubs 

Great! Isn't a little background useful for getting things in perspective! Another reason why recorded local assemblies or talks do not travel well. Presumption often follows. The local brothers are aware of the reason for the counsel. 

5 hours ago, Hope said:

I guess as a sister, I can't imagine asking a brother to confirm his counsel with a book quote.

You’re just too nice! :)

2 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

You’re just too nice! :)

Thanks! I just know better than to take issue with counsel at the time I'm receiving it- especially from a brother. Nine outta 10 times, I'll understand it better later and/or after research but if not, I may ask at the next meeting.  I'm very into the submission thing.. 😉

6 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Waaiiittt, ....whut? You got any specific date? or time?...

This is me, about a month ago.  Steve, with his back towards us, is almost exactly the same size as myself.  I think I am about half inch taller.  I gave him that suit so I don't think it knows how to button itself....

(This pic looks funny, like I have a big belly...and I don't)

imagejpeg_1.jpg

pssst... if your jacket was buttoned you wouldn't look like you had a big belly.. 😝