JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

California Fires

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1257 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

6 hours ago, ChrisC said:

Would there be sufficient pressure if firefighters were fighting nearby? 

Good question but I'd rather do it than not do it..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The news now says there have been 5 deaths from these fires.  A grandmother and her 2 grandchildren are the latest. 

https://www.krqe.com/news/national/2-children-great-grandmother-perish-in-california-wildfire/1331108728?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KRQE_News_13

The Redding fire.  😟

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

This is just a probable cause of the Redding CARR fire 🔥.

http://www.norcalblogs.com/postscripts/2018/07/28/ca-fires-redding/

CA FIRES – REDDING – Possible Cause Revealed

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2018 by Post Scripts

by Jack

Updated 2200 hrs., 7/28/18.   Possible cause of CARR fire in Redding, pickup truck towing a car trailer.  Trailer had flat, but driver did not notice the noise of tire coming apart or notice how it was pulling.  He continued to drive on the flat tire until the steel rim hit the pavement and showered sparks as he continued to drive… until it was too late.  The fire was already starting.   If this story changes, we’ll update it.

Edited by Loopy

1 hour ago, Miss Bea said:

How to figure it out? A vehicle, towing a trailer, stopped along the highway, with a damaged rim, and a trail of fires behind it.

..that's a dead giveaway...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Loopy said:

This is just a probable cause of the Redding CARR fire 🔥.

http://www.norcalblogs.com/postscripts/2018/07/28/ca-fires-redding/

CA FIRES – REDDING – Possible Cause Revealed

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2018 by Post Scripts

by Jack

Updated 2200 hrs., 7/28/18.   Possible cause of CARR fire in Redding, pickup truck towing a car trailer.  Trailer had flat, but driver did not notice the noise of tire coming apart or notice how it was pulling.  He continued to drive on the flat tire until the steel rim hit the pavement and showered sparks as he continued to drive… until it was too late.  The fire was already starting.   If this story changes, we’ll update it.

Well, here is an idea. Get a trailer tire pressure monitoring system...🤨

O O, more deaths in the California fires. 2 more people (Ferguson fire)...now up to 8.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fires-20180730-story.html

Friends please be careful out there.

I was born in Los Angeles County and have seen so many fires over the decades.  

It's horrible how many lives a fire can ruin....the poor people lose literally everything.

The worst aspect of these fires is, most of the time, the fire was started  by an

arsonist!  That has always made me sick to my stomach.:crying:

On 7/28/2018 at 1:12 PM, Tortuga said:

As I was watching the news I was wondering if lawn sprinklers on the roof of a house would be helpful, then at the end of the news segment it showed a home with a lawn sprinkler on the roof. It looks like a good idea. I think I might install some rain-bird type sprinklers on the corners of the roof just in case one day there is a fire close enough that we have to evacuate, maybe it will save the house...

My husband is a home designer, and we recommend that to our clients especially if they are outside the fire district or in a forested area. He knows of one home in a subdivision that was the only home saved here in central Oregon when a fire went thru. So many of the subdivisions here are requiring sprinkling but that helps on the interior, the rainbirds on the roof can  help with flying embers, when you can run them and saturate the home and surroundings.

Another thing to consider is if you have outdoor BBQ's tied into a large propane tank add an auto shut off for the gas.

A home my husband designed you can see it here: https://www.houzz.com/projects/366190/the-old-keystone-ranch-refined-yet-rustic-western-ranch-home

was lost due to such a fire.

The owner had a large 500 gal propane tank and had just filled it, he went to BBQ and left it on for weeks, they went on vacation and got a call when they arrived in Arizona that their home was gone. The BBQ metal could only take so much and melted away. My husband suggested to install an auto shut off for the BBQ a rather inexpensive item but the owner elected not to have it added. They were outside the fire district but the loss of their home could have been prevented with a simple shut off valve. 

From the article posted by Richard:

"What we're seeing in California right now is more destructive, larger fires burning at rates that we have historically never seen," Cal Fire spokesman Jonathan Cox said.

😱

Do we know how the brothers are affected?  And you Richard? All ok?  

29 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Do we know how the brothers are affected?  And you Richard? All ok

We are fine, the Carr fire is about 175 miles away but we still get smoke from that fire and several others.

I haven't heard anything about any friends that are affected.

Thanks for asking...😊

Edited by Tortuga

Aid to victims of the Carr fire.

Recieved word from bothers in Redding, that each familly that has lost home to fire,two elders have been assigned by the LDC to assist and support. Too soon to see how this is to be accomlished, all we know is our organization has stepped in and they will be taken care of even as the ashes cool.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 minutes ago, Old said:

Aid to victims of the Carr fire.

Recieved word from bothers in Redding, the each familly that has lost home to fire,two elders have been assigned by the LDC to assist and support. Too soon to see how this is to be accomlished, all we know is our organization has stepped in and they will be taken care of even as the ashes cool.

Do you know which AH is closest to Redding?

I assume LDC will use it as a home base and have a special talk for anyone affected by the fire.

6 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Do you know which AH is closest to Redding?

I assume LDC will use it as a home base and have a special talk for anyone affected by the fire.

I would assume Marysville, Assembly Hall, or do they now call it Yuba City? Havent been there in 20 years.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

17 minutes ago, Old said:

I would assume Marysville, Assembly Hall, or do they now call it Yuba City? Havent been there in 20 years.

If you mean theAssembly Hall on Washington St, that is Yuba City.

Assembly Hall and Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses
650 N George Washington Blvd, Yuba City, CA 95993
(530) 673-0436

https://goo.gl/maps/vnYDetg11g62