JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

California Fires

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1258 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

12 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

I think that the smoke issues are far worse in Fairfield  than they are here in Colfax. 

We had mostly blue skies here today, with just a hint of smoke smell. Because of the lay of the land and the current inversion layer the smoke is staying low and is funneling out to sea by way of the bay...

We had a bad Tuesday and Wednesday,  Thursday was better and today,  like I said, wasn't bad. For me anyways.  Denise is still trying to spend most of her time in her craft room or our bedroom,  both of those rooms are well sealed and I didn't cheap out when I bought air purifiers..

Truly I tell you, today, I would rather not be in Paradise...

Lol, Not the literal on right now anyway!

8 minutes ago, bobby said:

look like where getting some rain to help with the fires 

THAT'S AWESOME!

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

24 minutes ago, bobby said:

look like where getting some rain to help with the fires 

One can hope. I go back to what someone said. “The dirt is so dry, it burns”.  And, no, I do not believe raking the forest is a solution! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

19 minutes ago, Dove said:

The air is so bad breathing it is like smoking 11 cigarettes a day...ABC news

Then I picked the wrong day to quit smoking :eek:

The AQI for our area is 174 today. We were out in service all morning but did RVs so we didn't spend too much time in the smoke.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Friends, am just wondering how many are going to rebuild their homes, in this State?   If PG&E is found negligent for the Paradise fire and Camp fire, how much $$ do they have to pay the people suing the pants off of them?   I just don't see all our friends and the other people who lost their homes to these deviating fires rebuilding.  I can't fathom the cost of the disaster up and down the entire State.   PG&E in an article last week on CNN, said they are only insured up to 4 billion dollars.   I also read that the damage done by the fires is beyond any human imagination, the worst the State has ever seen.   Am just glad a majority of you dear friends were able to go out in service!   I hear RAIN is coming in, that 's good, but then too, there is nothing rooted along the hillsides and mudslides are just as dangerous.    So glad Jehovah has been building our persistence up, imagine if he hadn't done so, how many of us would have remained in the organization with all that is happening world wide and here in our own back yards?  I hope the people you spoke to out in service wake up from their coma's!  

There are two storms forecast for our area, one starts tomorrow and the second one comes in on Friday. 

The local news said the foothill area, including Paradise,  may have 4-5" of rain on Friday :eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I was talking to a Sister tonight at the meeting,  I know she has family there.

She said all, or practically all of the Friends are housed, with family or Spiritual family. 

She also said that a couple of Sisters told her that now, after all the volunteered clothes are distributed,  that they have more clothes now than they did before the fire!...

She said don't worry about any of them for now, as usual our Spiritual family has come through....

13 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Can someone help me.... is it normal for fires to spread so quickly?  

Given high winds, high temps, low humidity and over grown undergrowth it not uncommon. These latest California fires were agravated by extemes in all four contributing factors. Portugal experience much the same conditions witha similar number of fatalities in 2017.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

8 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Can someone help me.... is it normal for fires to spread so quickly?  

1 minute ago, SUNRAY said:

Maybe a good question to google! 

(That's what I did.)

Under certain conditions, yes. See this CNN article, containing some of the same comments that Jerry just made:

Why the California wildfires are spreading so quickly

The death toll from the Camp Fire reached 83, officials said Wednesday, as emergency agencies kept a close eye on the rains and the possibility of debris flows in the burn zone.

Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea, in a briefing at the Cal Fire command post in Chico, said two more people were found Wednesday - one each in Paradise and Magalia. He said 563 people remain unaccounted for, a drop of 307 in just a day's time. "I'm encouraged by the fact that we're continuing to account for and locate people," the sheriff said.
Cal Fire and other agencies warned that the rains, which are expected to last through Friday or possibly Saturday, could create potentially dangerous flows of ash, mud, trees, rocks and other post-fire debris. Six different agencies issued flash flood alerts for the mountainous area surrounding the Camp Fire burn zone. The U.S. Geological Survey said areas north of Paradise, including Concow and Pugla, were most at risk.

"The rain is of concern to us," Honea said. However, he said he doesn't think any human remains will be washed away by the rains.
The National Weather Service said the Chico-Paradise region got about 1 inch of rain as of Wednesday night. The greatest risk of debris flow was likely to occur Thursday night through Friday, the service said.

95% containment as of 19:00 tonight. The big rain storm started this evening,  so good news bad news...

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

95% containment as of 19:00 tonight. The big rain storm started this evening,  so good news bad news...

The latest weather report shows that the fire area is not going to get a whole lot more rain than it already has. 

Here, though, the weather guessers are calling for 3-5inches throughout the day Friday, with the attendant small creek flood advisories in effect.

25 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Really?  YAY!   Just hope there’s no mudslides now..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Any news about the other fire; the one in the south? (I forget what it's called.)

14 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Any news about the other fire; the one in the south? (I forget what it's called.)

The one in Malibu area,  the Woolsey fire was 100% contained several days ago.

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Hmm...

The local news says that Cal Fire is still saying the Camp Fire is only 95% contained and won't declare it 100% contained for several days...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11/22/5714558/

This is an article on fires. Sad and scary, at the same time!

When I think of big fires, I think of Chicago and San Francisco. There have been many! Tragic and horrendous. 

Edited by Miss Bea

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Deadliest U.S. wildfires

1,200+ deaths, 1871 (Peshtigo Fire, Wisconsin)
453+ deaths, 1918 (Cloquet Fire, Minnesota)
418+ deaths, 1894 (Hinkley Fire, Minnesota)
282 deaths, 1882 (Thumb Fire, Michigan)
87 deaths, 1910 (Great Fire of 1910, Idaho and Montana)
84 deaths, 2018 (Camp Fire, Paradise, California)
65 deaths, 1902 (Yacolt Burn, Oregon and Washington)
29 deaths, 1933 (Griffith Park Fire, Los Angeles, California)
25 deaths, 1991 (Tunnel Fire, Oakland Hills, California)
22 deaths, 2017 (Tubbs Fire, California)
19 deaths, 2013 (Yarnell Fire, Arizona)
16 deaths, 1947 (The Great Fires of 1947, Maine)
15 deaths, 2003 (Cedar Fire, San Diego County, California)
15 deaths, 1953 (Rattlesnake Fire, California)
15 deaths, 1937 (Blackwater Creek Fire, Wyoming)
14 deaths, 2017 (Gatlinburg, Tennessee)
13 deaths, 1994 (South Canyon Fire, Colorado)

Source: Jeff Masters, co-founder Weather Undergroun

:( I've been to Peshtigo, Wisconsin.  It isn't all that far from our farm.

They have a fire museum there that tells the horrific tale of that fire.

I bought a coffee mug there:

Screenshot_2018-11-23-22-43-10.thumb.jpg.43bf2ada2dd8b46e2a129a960c994892.jpg

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

The Camp Fire is officially 100% contained.  There is still a lot of concern about fire damaged trees falling. There is also a lot of concern about mud slides.

Mud slides are of serious concern. One thing that happened over here, was the constant rain after a fire. Not enough to create mudslides, but washed all the top soil from the hill tops into the valleys.

The lush forests on the hilltops never returned. Fires can leave permanent scares on people, their emotions, even their homeland.

It changed the landscape!

Older {waiting for wiser}