JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

So sorry to hear sis.  I use to get them too, have friends who have them and family members as well.  (For my own situation, I started doing research years ago on the root causes of migraines and other issues with my muscles.)  That's when I discovered the health benefits of magnesium.

If you're interested, I can send you (via PM) a link that may be helpful! :)

2 minutes ago, Omoyeme said:

So sorry to hear sis.  I use to get them too, have friends who have them and family members as well.  (For my own situation, I started doing research years ago on the root causes of migraines and other issues with my muscles.)  That's when I discovered the health benefits of magnesium.

If you're interested, I can send you (via PM) a link that may be helpful! :)

Thank you ... yes please do.  Any info would be great.  I never used to get them but have had a few of late.  The doctor just told me to keep a migraine diary and go back in a few weeks.  I hate being sick.  

I had them for about 25 years. I had to spend 3 days each time in a dark room, no noise or smells. Hard with a large family and my bedroom right off the kitchen.

I'm not exactly what caused them or cured them, but over the years I did a lot of fasting and watching my diet, but couldn't get control of the stress in my life too much.

When I got past menopause they just tapered off and went away, that made me wonder if it was hormonal but I strongly believe that stress and nutrition have a major impact.

My son gets them now. He gets the classic ones with the aura where he loses his vision temporarily. One day he was on a major highway in the center lane when it happened suddenly and had to carefully find his way to the edge of the road until the blindness passed.

So possibly they may have some genetic influence as well..

I hope you can find relief from some of these triggers, because they can really pound....

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I don't have migraines myself (I may have had a couple when younger, I don't recall now), though I deal with headaches most of the time. My mom used to have migraines when she was young and occasionally has some terrible head pains but I don't know if its still the same. 

@Omoyeme Can you send me that link too, please? I do supplement magnesium and potassium as my digestive issues and soil quality seem to prevent me getting as much as I need.

My migraines were hormonal and influenced also by diet. I’ve cut out sugar because of diabetes, and I noticed a reduction both in severity and length, one day not three. Yes menopause has reduced them also due to hormones changes, but I’ve been getting them from stress/glare etc since I was a kid. So it’s more than just hormones. 

And tho more manageable now, I suspect it’s muscular too (like everything, it’s always more complex). I’d appreciate the info you have too, @Omoyeme, thanks!

I used to start most days with a headache - not really migraine status - I just thought they were sinus connected and never really did more than take some aspirin because that always seemed to get rid of them.

Eventually, when I needed some money, I went for a blood pressure study to see if I qualified (they were paying a few hundred dollars for participants). I found out I had high blood pressure - it was quite high.

After I started taking medicine for that and getting my BP back down where it belongs - the headaches went away :shrugs:

Guess they were not really sinus after all :nope:

I hope your headache doesn't last too long

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Myew said:

I don't have migraines myself (I may have had a couple when younger, I don't recall now), though I deal with headaches most of the time. My mom used to have migraines when she was young and occasionally has some terrible head pains but I don't know if its still the same. 

@Omoyeme Can you send me that link too, please? I do supplement magnesium and potassium as my digestive issues and soil quality seem to prevent me getting as much as I need.

If you have a migraine you really know for sure, like being one of the anointed lol, and don't easily forget it...😞

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I've lost a lot of my childhood memories and my teens are a blur. You'd be surprised what you forget when you're used to chronic pain for as long as you can remember. I used to be photosensitive at times, especially when my headaches from being around chemical fragrances were much worse, but I simply can't say whether they were migraines or not. After all, the doctors say 'Its all in your head'...

5 minutes ago, Myew said:

I've lost a lot of my childhood memories and my teens are a blur. You'd be surprised what you forget when you're used to chronic pain for as long as you can remember. I used to be photosensitive at times, especially when my headaches from being around chemical fragrances were much worse, but I simply can't say whether they were migraines or not. After all, the doctors say 'Its all in your head'...

Yes, sorry, I wasn't meaning to be flippant about it. When you're young, you tend to take a lot of things in your stride and don't put too much importance on them as soon as they're gone..

Thankfully today I feel much better.  I have a dull pain but nothing like yesterday.  Moving hurt and I felt so sick.  😕

I wonder whether they are hormone related... @hatcheckgirl And I eat too much sugar.  I just don’t know what triggered that one.  Too much sleep perhaps - I slept much longer than usual because I’d slept badly the night before.  

• 4 months later...

The brain is more than 70% water so it is vital to drink plenty of water through the day.   

Wonderful for migraine or pain of any kind is ginger root.  Take a  big toe size piece and chop it up and put in a medium pan of water.  Simmer for about 30 mins and drink lots of it through the day. (Don't add sweetener) Chewing a fresh piece can sometimes relieve symptoms immediately.  Ginger is also wonderful for circulatory problems and nausea and many other things.

I have a long history of migraines. I don't get them nearly as much as I used to, but they would incapacitate me when I had them. I'm pretty sure, even though I never got an official diagnosis, that I have had CVS (cyclical vomiting syndrome), and migraines or other things that would make me dizzy and weak would often trigger horrible bouts of nausea and vomiting. Idk if this would help others, but these were things that have helped me at times when I suffered from this.

I've learned to listen to my body and when I'd feel a migraine coming up, I'd completely avoid coffee. If I really needed the caffeine, I'd get it in migraine medicine or a cola. That might be just a me thing since coffee can be hard on the stomach.

I would rest as much as possible, and soak my feet in hot water, put a cold compress on my head, and listen to relaxing music.

Putting menthol on the head helped me whenever I had it. I like this menthol roll on. It feels so nice on anything that hurts.
I'd also eat something cold like popsicles, or drink cold carbonated beverages and eat crackers, but that was more for the nausea.
I'd just lay down in the dark all day with something cold on my head and try to rest it off

I've had a migraine for the past 4 days,  I can't take anymore pain killers as I take them already for a autoimmune disease,  I have to say that the pain gets to you after a while. 

I can go absolutely ages without even a trace of one and then bam... I have them big time,  I've examined diet,  stress... nothing fits the picture.  

I'm actually thinking with me it's linked to lack of sleep,  if I dont take care of myself it seems to be a trigger point. 

I'm going too try the menthol rub that you suggested,  do you have a brand name??

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

41 minutes ago, anniebea said:

I've had a migraine for the past 4 days,  I can't take anymore pain killers as I take them already for a autoimmune disease,  I have to say that the pain gets to you after a while. 

I can go absolutely ages without even a trace of one and then bam... I have them big time,  I've examined diet,  stress... nothing fits the picture.  

I'm actually thinking with me it's linked to lack of sleep,  if I dont take care of myself it seems to be a trigger point. 

I'm going too try the menthol rub that you suggested,  do you have a brand name??

Aww feeling sorry for you sis.  Actually pain killers themselves can cause pain and headaches when taken often.  There are all sorts of different reasons for and types of migraines though and yes lack of sleep can be a trigger and computer use etc.   One thing for sure is that drinking plenty of water is vital.  Drink it warm or tepid rather than ice cold.  Use root ginger instead of pain killers (it is proven to work similarly to ibuprofen but without the nasty side effects)   Don't let your blood sugar dip -  eat complex carbohydrates (brown rice so good for  migraine)  Make sure your diet includes magnesium rich foods.  Wear a hat when you go out.

Eat cooked millet grain (not flakes) nice with lightly stewed pears or apple (don't add sugar).

Edited by Naturale

When I forget to take my B12 shot I get migraine headaches too! Lately I can't seem to get headaches under control either. Sorry Annie.😔

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I hear you, fellow migraine sufferers ❤️ 

Some triggers that affect me include: sugar, heat, glare, stress, computers, people/crowds, hormones, weather/barometric pressure, wine (I think it's the preservatives/sulphites), lack of sleep, dehydration, and sometimes nothing.

The ways I deal with it, if I can't prevent it coming on, is to lie down in a quiet dark room with a cold flannel over my eyes.  Drink plenty of course.  For me, sometimes a strong black coffee helps, sometimes a strong black tea helps.  Eating dry crackers helps with nausea. Sometimes a walk early in the fresh of the morning.  And the drug of last resort is sumatriptan (which leaves my face half sort of paralyzed, not pleasant).

I like the idea of a ginger tea that @Naturale mentioned.  👍

Use a lovely aromatherapy roll-on for the temples which can dull the pain (thanks Geordiegirl)!  And another wonderful cooling rub which relaxes muscles (so great if your shoulder/neck muscles are causing the migraine) is Yoko, from Japan.  Really works!!

40 minutes ago, Naturale said:

Yes but be careful with the Feverfew as it can be bad for the kidneys

i have read its not good to take if you already have kidney disease where do you read it causes it? i have been using it for 20 years.

37 minutes ago, navco said:

i have read its not good to take if you already have kidney disease where do you read it causes it? i have been using it for 20 years.

It doesn't cause kidney disease.   It's just a case of being careful not to take too much, sticking with the recommended dosage.

Edited by Naturale

On 12/4/2018 at 2:19 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

I hear you, fellow migraine sufferers ❤️ 

Some triggers that affect me include: sugar, heat, glare, stress, computers, people/crowds, hormones, weather/barometric pressure, wine (I think it's the preservatives/sulphites), lack of sleep, dehydration, and sometimes nothing.

The ways I deal with it, if I can't prevent it coming on, is to lie down in a quiet dark room with a cold flannel over my eyes.  Drink plenty of course.  For me, sometimes a strong black coffee helps, sometimes a strong black tea helps.  Eating dry crackers helps with nausea. Sometimes a walk early in the fresh of the morning.  And the drug of last resort is sumatriptan (which leaves my face half sort of paralyzed, not pleasant).

I like the idea of a ginger tea that @Naturale mentioned.  👍

Use a lovely aromatherapy roll-on for the temples which can dull the pain (thanks Geordiegirl)!  And another wonderful cooling rub which relaxes muscles (so great if your shoulder/neck muscles are causing the migraine) is Yoko, from Japan.  Really works!!

It is good to include brown rice in your diet ideally organic and millet too :)