JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Taking too much salt....

Hello dear sisters and brothers

Recently I noticed that I am taking to much salt.

ie., many say salt is very bad for health.it causes blood pressure etc etc

So if I am reducing it I feel very very uncomfortable and a craving sets in.

I am obese too.

I thought of doing some research on the net but then changed the idea and thought that asking you people would be more of a wise decision

I also live in a hot climate but my way of life doesn't involves too much of sweating .

Any words of wisdom...?

Sent from my Infinix X572 using Tapatalk

Balance is the key. No salt at all is as bad as too much salt.

Recently, the doctor told me I should reduce my salt intake to avoid high blood pressure and related health problems.

So, I don’t use salt anymore in my meals, instead I have ‘replaced’ salt by lemon, garlic, onion, parsley, basil... it gives flavor to the food and I don’t feel I am missing something or that food doesn’t taste anything.

Besides, whatever ‘prepared’ meal that you may eat (bread included) includes salt already...

I am also taking some hibiscus and curcuma teas to reduce blood pressure and one square of dark chocolate (90%) a day for the same purpose.

It has worked for me: blood pressure has dropped from 18 to 14.

Don't stop taking salt..it is very critical to life. Sodium is one of the electrolytes.

The problem is not with the salt itself..it is with the common table salt that has been processed. Take a natural salt such as Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt .

And use it in moderation...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

15 minutes ago, dilip kumar said:

Hello dear sisters and brothers

Recently I noticed that I am taking to much salt.

ie., many say salt is very bad for health.it causes blood pressure etc etc

So if I am reducing it I feel very very uncomfortable and a craving sets in.

I am obese too.

I thought of doing some research on the net but then changed the idea and thought that asking you people would be more of a wise decision

I also live in a hot climate but my way of life doesn't involves too much of sweating .

Any words of wisdom...?

Sent from my Infinix X572 using Tapatalk

I have to ask how do you judge your salt intake as being high?

Does your blood pressure decrease when you lower your salt intake? 

There seems to be a lot of confusion among academics at the present. Many feel that practice of reducing salt intake for reasons of health similar to what proclaimed in the last half of the twentieth century is way way to go. Now there are many academics saying this is just not so, in a healthy person any extra salt intake is disposed of through the kidneys and poses no blood pressure problem.

No words of wisdom, just my experience. I was hospitalized some years back with congestive heart failure. My heart doctor did not subscribe to the idea that salt intake has any connection with high blood pressure. He did not recommend a low salt diet. My blood pressure was and  remains mildly high which it has been all my life. To pass a pilot's physical the doctor would find my blood pressure hovering near the maximum allowed and require me to do a stress test. My blood pressure was then in the normal range for the test. This continued through 12 years of flight physicals. To this day blood pressure remains slightly higher than the norm, but still no restriction on salt intake, which is good because I love food.

A side note: Fifty years ago I was working heavy construction in 100+ heat. I collapsed with heat exhaustion. After that I paid close attention to my electrolytes, salt being the most common.. Besides feeling lousy and accompanied by an unshakeable head ache I would notice that I was perspiring freely but my perspiration was not salty, not even enough to taste. After taking a couple of salt tablets the headache was gone and I felt fine. My sweat would then be salty. I always consumed a lot of water, especially when on the job. When my salt was low I would drink a pint of water and breakout out in a cold almost salt free sweat that became a warning that I needed salt. To this day when temperatures approach the middle 80s I need to take salt tablets to survive. 80 years Old and still truckin'.

Image result for keep on trucking

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

As Sister Sandra mentioned, Salt is not the problem. For example, the fish Jesus ate and provided for thousands were salted - they were literally caked in salt as a preservative. I also recommend a mined rock salt, not a refined salt. I prefer Real Salt brand. The main causes of obesity and high blood pressure are processed foods, especially refined carbohydrates and sugar. Please watch these few videos (about 41 minutes altogether) to understand a bit more about how our biology uses sodium and why low sodium is a dangerous myth.

Although the human body requires some salt, or sodium, to function properly, many people consume too much sodium.

Excess sodium can cause serious health problems :wall:such as high blood pressure, which can lead to heart disease, stroke and other problems.

Excess sodium also can cause water retention or bloating.

However, you can take steps to flush salt out of your body by drinking lots of water, exercising and visiting a sauna.

I use sauna twice a week.

How much water do you drink during the day?

Health-Benefits-of-Drinking-Water.jpeg

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Although the human body requires some salt, or sodium, to function properly, many people consume too much sodium.

Excess sodium can cause serious health problems :wall:such as high blood pressure, which can lead to heart disease, stroke and other problems.

Excess sodium also can cause water retention or bloating.

However, you can take steps to flush salt out of your body by drinking lots of water, exercising and visiting a sauna.

I use sauna twice a week.

How much water do you drink during the day?

Health-Benefits-of-Drinking-Water.jpeg

The body still needs the right kind of salt whatever the amount, and drinking too much water can also flush out other needed minerals and nutrients. Too much of anything is not good..even the water should be the right kind, not tap

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Remember the wife of Lot....

Now there's a perfect example of too much of a good thing....😁

1 hour ago, Dove said:

Too much of anything is not good..even the water should be the right kind, not tap

Yeah, I would definitely avoid tap water..

Apparently water mixed with barley is tasty... :whistling:

Wait a minute! That's BEER! :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, Dove said:

Yup, too much salt can make you stiff...🤤

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Dove said:

I probably should have said instead, a drastic example...

12 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

The best health drink ever devised. 

Good water, hops and grains and stuff, it don't get any healthier than that. ..

Thus, we solved Dilip's problem .....:whistling:

Dilip, my work history is similar to Bro Old in that I was outside in the sun and working hard. 

I would easily drink a gallon and a half of water a day.

My first sign of needing salt were that my fingers would start to cramp. If I ignored that early warning sign my upper arms and lower legs would start cramping. Can't ignore that--

I used take the regular salt tablets out of the first aid kits until I found something better.

I was at a health food store( went with someone else,  those shops are not on my usual list of stops. No cheeseburgers) and I asked someone about salt tabs. I was shown a bottle of pills called bio salts, basically sweat, but in tablet form.

They are pretty small pills, the average dose is 8 or 10, they aren't really strong tasting and they definitely help with the cramps and whatever else your body needs salt for...

I hope that the pictures are clear enough for you to read the fine print,  I'll try again if you want. ..

Since finding this type of biosalt I have never used the old salt tabs and I don't really worry about salting my foods, no Dr has ever told me to cut down my salt intake...

It must be getting late,  I totally didn't think about posting a link---- I fixed that.

https://www.hylands.com/products/bioplasma?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_saX1LuH3AIVRbnACh1bWQhaEAAYASAAEgIAZPD_BwE

1530776019436-1936550565.jpg

15307759627671319070887.jpg

Edited by tekmantwo

Added a salty link---

Balance is key when it comes to sodium intake. Like it was brought out, you need some sodium. Without it you easily become dehydrated.
I used a logger for sodium and sugar intake. I think we can easily take for granted how much sugar we're taking in as well. Sugar can affect obesity and blood pressure at least as much as sodium.
It also helps to cook the vast majority of what you eat. It's something that I've been trying to practice. It's not easy when you have friends who are always stopping somewhere. I get off that horse then try to get right back on, because health is important.
Exercise is the absolute best thing for blood pressure imo. Rigorous exercise helps the resting heartrate which helps with BP. I hope some of this helps.
Good that you're getting healthy.

On 7/6/2018 at 4:54 PM, Katty said:

Rigorous exercise helps the resting heartrate

So does more coffee, I can get my heart rate up without having to get off the couch...:lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 7/5/2018 at 3:38 AM, tekmantwo said:

Dilip, my work history is similar to Bro Old in that I was outside in the sun and working hard. 

I would easily drink a gallon and a half of water a day.

My first sign of needing salt were that my fingers would start to cramp. If I ignored that early warning sign my upper arms and lower legs would start cramping. Can't ignore that--

I used take the regular salt tablets out of the first aid kits until I found something better.

I was at a health food store( went with someone else,  those shops are not on my usual list of stops. No cheeseburgers) and I asked someone about salt tabs. I was shown a bottle of pills called bio salts, basically sweat, but in tablet form.

They are pretty small pills, the average dose is 8 or 10, they aren't really strong tasting and they definitely help with the cramps and whatever else your body needs salt for...

I hope that the pictures are clear enough for you to read the fine print,  I'll try again if you want. ..

Since finding this type of biosalt I have never used the old salt tabs and I don't really worry about salting my foods, no Dr has ever told me to cut down my salt intake...

It must be getting late,  I totally didn't think about posting a link---- I fixed that.

https://www.hylands.com/products/bioplasma?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_saX1LuH3AIVRbnACh1bWQhaEAAYASAAEgIAZPD_BwE

1530776019436-1936550565.jpg

15307759627671319070887.jpg

I've been taking them every day for years, along with many other salts and homeopathics..they are very helpful for many conditions and Safe....

Edited by Dove

38 minutes ago, Dove said:

I've been taking them every day for years, along with many other salts and homeopathics..they are very helpful for many conditions and Safe....

Minerals are actually more important than vitamins if it came down to it..minerals will work without vitamins but vitamins will not work without minerals being present....so minerals are harder to destroy. Vitamins can be destroyed by heat, light, et. Minerals are still there even when they're burned to ash...

Edited by Dove