JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tablet recommendations needed

Helping a friend find a tablet for her daughter, 14 years old with younger brothers.  Probably looking for an android based tablet with primary use being jw library, parental controls would be great too.i don’t know much about android, so any advice is appreciated.

I am happy with my Samsung. It is outdated but still going strong (4years)

https://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/15-best-android-tablets-in-the-world-905504

Above are some suggestions. Younger ones usually get by with 7 or 8 inch. I use 10.4" with my glasses.
Speed will also be a factor, ie faster processor speed =more dollars. For jw app, the slowest will work fine, but when playing games, you will notice the difference.
If you give me a Max $ you want to spend, I can give you a short list...

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

I have found that tablets with anything lower than a "quad core" processor are noticeably slower when running JWL. By the time you get to the scripture, the speaker has already moved on.

This is just my experience, your milage may vary. :)

Also check the Android version installed before you buy (especially if it is an older unit).  With the JW Library constantly updating we will exceed the abilities of older versions.  I would think a minimum of Android 5 (Lollipop) or Android 6 (Marshmallow).  The newest versions are 8 and 9 (I think).  Although I have heard about version 10.

Memory storage.  Do not buy 16 GB units unless the price is most important.  Having 32 GB is my minimum, personally.  Most Android units can accept a micro-SD card for expansion storage.  Screen resolution is important if watching video or reading small text.  Just some thoughts.

11 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

Kindle is a good buy!

Older

If you all agree the Kindle is good, can you recommend a model? Also, an sd card? Price wise, it seems like the best option even though it isn't running a regular Android os.

But not "inexpensive" even used and old.  My wife and I have 4 (larger one for meetings and smaller one for service).

You can get used models quite cheaply. On the other hand, many are ready to pay premium for quality and ease of use.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I apparently have the Kindle trek 2. With the exception of a few occasional when overload it with tasks, and a slight touch screen issue while plugged in when the battery is low, it works great. I love it. I find the issues aren't big issues. It doesn't prevent me from making a lot of use out of it.

The battery lasts all day for RCs too tho I often bring a portable charger just in case.

https://goo.gl/images/ujQzEr

Edited by Katty

As to the screen size I would choose the larger one for videos.  But some with good eyesight might like the more "cell-phone" like size for carrying.  If there is a screen resolution difference, I would choose the better resolution.  I am not a Kindle fan so I am sure they will reply. 

As to the library media being stored on the micro-SD card, after you install the JW-Library, go to "settings" and you will see "download media to" and choose SD card.

EDIT:  I should have mentioned, you have to have the micro-SD card installed before you select that setting, otherwise the choice will not show.

Edited by jwhess

5 hours ago, bigvince said:

I googled and found the recommended card is a SanDisk 32 gb so I purchased one on Amazon. I didn't see how I could edit my last comment.

Yeah any micro SD card will typically work on any tablet except Apple and possibly Sony (does Sony make tablets btw?) 

Also if it's an Android device you can store the app on your SD card, most likely, by going to settings storage applications. It'll likely be something like that. Then in applications you should be able to swipe left or right and when you select the app it'll have an option to send app to SD card. That's if you want the app on your SD card in addition to the media on it, because it's a pretty big app.

32gb is a lot for a tablet btw, you'll be able to download quite a bit of media

I have trouble getting programmes switched over to the sd card on my samsung tablet. I use it just for the meeting, and I only update programs I use. I have uninstalled as much bloat-wear as I can. This model (P-600) is no longer supported. Still running Android v5 {lollipop } and has not had any updates. So it's is probably part OS dependant, and device dependant. My phone (also Samsung) has no problems as it is running Android v8 (Oreo )

Older