JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Curses...foiled again...

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2108 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

"Why you might want to wrap your car key fob in foil"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/why-you-might-want-to-wrap-your-car-key-fob-in-foil/ar-AAzJCtV?li=BBnb4R5

Apparently car thieves can steal the code from your fob and steal your vehicle. Why don't auto manufacturers just put an on/off switch on the fob? 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'm confused.... My car key has 2 small buttons to push to lock and unlock. A little red light flashes when the button is pressed
When it is not pressed, I am assuming it is off. (NO red led). How is it they can get some code from my key when it is 'off'?
I have heard of 'code catchers' that have scanners, that when I press the button, they catch and record (and then replay) the code. But I do not understand how they catch a code 10 feet from the the bedroom window...

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

1 hour ago, TonyWenz said:

Maybe it's those fancy 'key less' cars where you just have a 'fob', which is more like a proximity sensor. When you walk to the car, it automatically unlockes, and you just press the start button. Bit out of my budget...

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

My truck does that. I don't even have to lock it, it locks when I walk away.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

13 hours ago, jwhess said:

I have not checked it out but the guy at the Sears Key desk makes copies of my fob for me while standing at the counter.

Likely you will still have to program the fob. Check it out, if it doesn't function look up on the web 'How to progam car key fob', the local car dear wants around 75 dollors to program a fob. My local locksmith had no trouble cutting the key but informed me that their was no way I could program the fob. Took it back to him the same day and showed him it was now programed.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 minutes ago, Old said:

Likely you will still have to program the fob. Check it out, if it doesn't function look up on the web 'How to progam car key fob', the local car dear wants around 75 dollors to program a fob. My local locksmith had no trouble cutting the key but informed me that their was no way I could program the fob. Took it back to him the same day and showed him it was now programed.

My key-cutting guy did a little better.  He had "blank" (un-programmed?) fobs on the rack.  He selected the proper model and did whatever he needed to do and gave me back my original and a duplicate fob that works great.  It was expensive but only about half of what the car dealership wanted me to pay.  I did not see exactly what method he used to transfer the data from one to the other but he did it in plain view of me standing at the counter.

If this is actually a real issue,  I hope the auto manufacturers offer to reprogram fobs to power off until a button is tapped. Although,  it's very convenient to just grab the door handle without touching the fob.

What I sort of understand is that the signal from your key fob can be picked up by ne’er do well thieves. To store your fob in a tin coffee can, or in your pocket, tin foil. While at home. 

Well, I smuggly thought we are rural, and nobody will scheme on my keyless car.

Then I started thinking. What if some theivy person is in a parking lot, and eyes your vehicle, does his illegal thing, and you come out from shopping or a dinner, and, alas, no vehicle. 

I ordered a little jacket for both our vehicles. It zips around the fob. Unzip it to use it. 

They get smart, and the thieves get smarter. Ugly.

Edited by Miss Bea

A Q snuck in!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!