JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Looking for topic about witnessing to Muslims

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2069 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A few years back on this forum someone posted about witnessing to some Muslims I think at a Turkish bath or something like that? Anyway I seem to recall that they made some really good thoughtful comments to the persons being witnessed to, thoughts that would linger in their minds.

I have an interested man who is Muslim to speak to tomorrow so if anyone can help me locate the item that would be great, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a brochure called the Path of True Submission to God, or something like that, which clearly though respectfully compared the truth of God's word with the Quran.  I used to have a regular call on a Muslim man and we had some good discussions with that brochure.

I learned two scriptures from the Quran, "he begets not nor is he begotten" and "you must not kill anyone that Allah says you must not kill, unless it is for a good reason.."  It is good to know the differences between the Bible and the Quran, so that one can reason with those who would likely know more about the Quran.  I may still have a copy of the brochure, but it would be nice to have a pdf version of it too (hint hint).  The Mosaic cover was unusually beautiful, and because of Muslim tradition, the brochure did not have any pictures in it.

Edited by rbrown1205

My few times, with one gentleman still being an RV when I can find him, I have found a couple of things that are beneficial. First emphasize our common recognition of God's prophets of old, as they recognizeAdam,  Moses and Aaron, Abraham (Ibrahim), David, and some others. But the biggest item, is our recognition of the Trinity being a false doctrine. That's why they oppose Christendoms religions, it is false on its face. They recognize Jesus as a very special prophet, but God's son will likely take some discussion. That is a great broshure  , I'm hoping the brothers are working on an update. An update on how it goes would be nice, even a private update.

Edited by SoCal4me2

Spelling correction

Since studying with a Muslim gentleman (which is an ongoing study, and seems to be progressing slowly), so far I have learnt that you have to be very patient with Muslims, as they generally have been thoroughly indoctrinated to believe in the Quran. Rather than focusing on differences between the Bible and the Quran, try to focus on common ground ~ like brother Tom suggested about how we don't believe in the trinity doctrine, but also the subject of idol worship is a good one, as they agree that we should not use idols for worship. Talking about paradise seems to work as well, and the signs of the last days. I also like to use terms that my study may feel more comfortable with, like saying Allah for God.

A few things I have learnt that Muslims believe...

They have respect for the Bible, however they believe it has been corrupted by humans who have tried to change it. If the Bible contradicts the Quran, they will believe the Quran.

They don't believe that Jesus died, but they believe he was taken up to heaven while alive. They are uncomfortable with calling Jesus "God's son" (my study asked me recently if he could be a Christian while not believing that Jesus is the son of God).

They believe that human prophets are infallible, and can not sin. This makes it difficult for them to accept things like king David sinning.

Muslims believe in hellfire, however they also believe that God is very merciful.

They believe that they are obligated to fast, and to pray 5 times a day on specific times.

I live in Montreal, Canada, which is predominantly French. When I was in a French congregation we always met Muslims who came from Arabic-speaking countries where the second language is French: Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, etc. During my time in French I learned quite a bit about Muslims too.

Generally speaking, Muslims seem to think the message in the Bible has been altered at some point along the way. So they don't think God's pure message is found in the Bible anymore, and so can't be trusted. At the same time, though, the Koran describes the Torah (the books of Moses), the Psalms, and the Gospels as the "Word of God."

This suggestion was made in one of the brochures/magazines (can't recall where): Ask the Muslim when the Bible was altered. Was it before or after the time the Koran was written? If they say before, you could ask why the Koran still says that parts of the Bible are the "Word of God"? If they say it was altered after the Koran was written, then why do we have manuscripts that predate the Koran displayed in museums around the world that say exactly the same as our Bibles today?

The real faith brochure is really a gem when it comes to talking with Muslims. It's especially designed for them and because it doesn't have questions for every single paragraph, it's a great tool for having Bible based discussions or a study.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

The real faith brochure is really a gem when it comes to talking with Muslims. It's especially designed for them and because it doesn't have questions for every single paragraph, it's a great tool for having Bible based discussions or a study.

I didn't mean to say that our publications with questions aren't good for Bible discussions or a study. But many people from especially the Middle-East are not very used to this kind of studying. So for this audience the setup is fantastic
That's what I meant