Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum

Recommended Posts

A young woman recently drove off a cliff in California and the report says that she survived by drinking water from her vehicle radiator.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-survives-seven-days-radiator-water-california-crash-032259822.html

 

Drinking radiator water is very poisonous, I suspect this story will change or it will end badly...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol_poisoning

 

Drinking radiator water is not a survival technique..

Edited by Tortuga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tortuga said:
A young woman recently drove off a cliff in California and the report says that she survived by drinking water from her vehicle radiator.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-survives-seven-days-radiator-water-california-crash-032259822.html
 
Drinking radiator water is very poisonous, I suspect this story will change or it will end badly...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol_poisoning
 
Drinking radiator water is not a survival technique..

This article says that she drank stream water by siphoning through radiator hose.



Woman survives 7 days after SUV plunges off cliff in Big Sur

By Ralph Ellis and Kelly McCleary, CNN
Jul 14, 2018

(CNN) - An Oregon woman who disappeared a week ago was found alive at the bottom of an oceanside cliff in Big Sur, California, where she survived in the wreckage of her SUV by using her radiator hose to siphon water from a nearby creek, authorities said Saturday.


 

 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/14/us/big-sur-california-cliff-rescue/index.html

Edited by Shawnster
Please do not post entire articles. Excerpts only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I figured the report might change. The initial reports said she drank radiator water. 
The CNN one could change, too....
Unless there's more to the story...Let's stay tuned....inconsistencies could reveal... ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense that someone misunderstood what she might have said about using the radiator hose. 

 

The point is that no one should see the early reports and assume it's ok to drink radiator water.

 

If she had really done that, she would probably be dead already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It makes sense that someone misunderstood what she might have said about using the radiator hose. 
 
The point is that no one should see the early reports and assume it's ok to drink radiator water.
 
If she had really done that, she would probably be dead already.
CHiPS (Not Eric Estrada and Larry Wilcox, sisters ) will have a lot of explaining to do if their investigation is flawed!

"Hernandez told investigators she swerved to avoid hitting an animal on Highway 1 on July 6 and plunged over the cliff north of Nacimiento Fergusson Road. She stayed alive "by drinking water from the radiator of her vehicle," according to the Highway Patrol."


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

Yeah but it would keep her from overheating.:lol1:

An interesting thing about water is that pressure raises the boiling point, so it doesn't boil over as easy when it's under pressure. 

 

I wish I was like that...:(

Edited by Tortuga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should also keep in mind that there could be a difference in "radiator water" amd "radiator coolant/antifreeze"

 

I know there have been many times my radiator only contained water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Old said:

Anyone have a source for a radiator that will fit in a go-bag?:lol:

Per wiki:

Poorly produced moonshine can be contaminated, mainly from materials used in the construction of the still. Stills employing automotive radiators as condensers are particularly dangerous; in some cases, glycol, products from antifreeze, can appear as well. Radiators used as condensers also may contain lead at the connections to the plumbing. These methods often resulted in blindness or lead poisoning for those consuming tainted liquor.

 

It sounded like you planned to become a bootlegger. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, a3a27988 said:

 My guesses there wasn’t any antifreeze in that  radiator  or she would’ve died.

Its very likely the 2011 Jeep had antifreeze in it. It's also likely the initial report were incorrect. Later reports say she used the radiator hose to drink from a stream, 

However, I also suspect you are right, after falling 200 feet it isn't likely anything was left in the radiator...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Per wiki:

Poorly produced moonshine can be contaminated, mainly from materials used in the construction of the still. Stills employing automotive radiators as condensers are particularly dangerous; in some cases, glycol, products from antifreeze, can appear as well. Radiators used as condensers also may contain lead at the connections to the plumbing. These methods often resulted in blindness or lead poisoning for those consuming tainted liquor.

 

It sounded like you planned to become a bootlegger. :D

 

I wish you had posted this earliar.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Its very likely the 2011 Jeep had antifreeze in it. It's also likely the initial report were incorrect. Later reports say she used the radiator hose to drink from a stream, 

However, I alsthing ib  o suspect you are right, after falling 200 feet it isn't likely anything was left in the radiator...

Why would you assume the cooling system did not have antifreeze? Everyone that I know keeps antifreeze in their coolinn sytem.

Wait, I just renmember one brother from Prineville Oregon that did not use antifreeze in one car during the winter. He drained his cooling systemat the start of freezing temperatures and ran without anything in the coolinsystem anytime the temperature got below 20 degerres at night. Short trips worked out OK. One mile to the store, 4 miles to take the pioneer home (Me). I guess he had a good feel for the engine, an early Forb V8 mounted in a 1932 ford chasis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Old said:

Why would you assume the cooling system did not have antifreeze? Everyone that I know keeps antifreeze in their coolinn sytem.

Wait, I just renmember one brother from Prineville Oregon that did not use antifreeze in one car during the winter. He drained his cooling systemat the start of freezing temperatures and ran without anything in the coolinsystem anytime the temperature got below 20 degerres at night. Short trips worked out OK. One mile to the store, 4 miles to take the pioneer home (Me). I guess he had a good feel for the engine, an early Forb V8 mounted in a 1932 ford chasis. 

I think you misunderstood. I assumed it did have antifreeze right up until it hit the bottom of the cliff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious about her, um, technique(?)...how would you go about drinking from a hose that big, if it was the hose that we are all assuming she used?

 

Maybe trapping water in a section of hose that she could use as a cup but if you can get that close to the stream, why would you need a hose?

Remember Gideons 300....

 

I don't really think,  without trying it myself,  that a human could maintain that much vacuum, for that long of a time frame, to actually achieve it...

 

The little overflow hose, on the other hand ---

 

Or a vacuum systems hose..those would be far more feasible. ...

 

 

The comments section ---

'she had a Prestone, on the rocks'

 

 

 

Edited by tekmantwo
Added goofy comment. ...why, didja think I mispelt sumthin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pgwenlan said:

According to news reports here in the UK, she used the radiator HOSE to drink water from a nearby stream/water source. Not to drink the actual vehicle radiator water!

Agreed. Some of the news reports here say that but some of the early reports said she drank radiator water, the evening newscaster said she drank radiator water, so I really hope those reports are incorrect and that she used actually used the radiator overflow hose, a very small and flexible hose, to drink from a small stream that she might not have been able to access otherwise.

 

The local news also interviewed the couple that found her and apparently they were looking through the wrecked vehicle when they aw her outside of the vehicle, so she wasn't trapped in the vehicle but couldn't climb out of the area she was in.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 18.5.26 by Robert Angle (changelog)