JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Personality Types - what type are you?

There is an old, closed topic on the subject of the 16 Personality types but I thought it would be interesting to start a new topic not just related to the 16 personalities but also maybe discussing the 4 Temperaments which was the very first test I ever did over 30 years ago, before the internet. :)

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

For myself...

MBTI: ENFP - A/T
Insights Colour: Yellow
Factor (Big) 5: Extroversion 73 - Agreeablness 91 - Conscientiousness 39 - Neuroticism 27 - Openness 91
Four temperament Theory: Sanguine-Phlegmatic/Melancholic

Personality Factors:

PF.png.f559e699f449deed87bf254fa205663b.png

Edited by EccentricM

MBTI:  The Defender (ISFJ-T)
Individual traits: Introverted – 76%, Observant – 72%, Feeling – 71%, Judging – 53%, Turbulent – 72%
Role: Sentinel
Strategy: Constant Improvement

4 temperament: Melancholic/Sanguine

2 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Link for the test? Or any one off the net?

I can help you. I have found these are the best quality ones.

MBTI: https://www.16personalities.com/

Factor 5: http://www.personal.psu.edu/~j5j/IPIP/

Personality Factors: https://personalityfactors.com/en

I could not find the colours one I used, and I used to also include Ennegram, but I quit using that after I found out it was based in spiritism.

Edited by EccentricM

7 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Colours mean something?

It's just another personality test, but they use colours as the categories for your type. There are only 4 colours though (like the four temperaments), and it works on a spectrum colour wheel.

Edited by EccentricM

Personality type: “The Adventurer” (ISFP-T)
Individual traits: Introverted – 56%, Observant – 66%, Feeling – 86%, Prospecting – 51%, Turbulent – 57%
Role: Explorer

I don't know if that's true though.  I thought I was more of a mothering/caring type.  Maybe we shift personality over time.

17 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Individual traits: Introverted – 56%, Observant – 66%, Feeling – 86%, Prospecting – 51%, Turbulent – 57%

I don't know if that's true though.  I thought I was more of a mothering/caring type.  Maybe we shift personality over time.

Well my advice is, don't read into the stereotypes or even the titles. For MBTI, the system states you are your type from birth, and it doesnt not change, nor can it (as opposed to "persona"). As they are set cognition tools.

This really is the main issue in what I call "mainstream MBTI" (which plagues the MBTI community), as the original system of Jung's functions have become abused into creating 16 stereotypes (that this MBTI does this in life, has this persona and likes this, and dislikes this) as opposed to what really is but 16 "cognition structures" which say nothing about a person's "personality" or role in life, but rather the tools and modes of thought they use most, or are best at using to achieve their goals.

You might find an ENFP acting like an INTJ and an INTJ acting like an ENFP, and I have friends who are exactly that.

I actually wrote on my view on MBTI here.

https://theuniverseofeccentricm.wordpress.com/2018/01/24/my-take-on-myers-briggs-typology/

What really is important is the understanding of stacks.

Edited by EccentricM

Because our life's experiences mould and change us, the me I am today is different to the me I was 20/30 years ago and my current test results reflect that difference. 

A comment on the 'How to be Attractive to Brothers' topic was about whether perfection will alter this.  Due to my experience I believe it would.  Although our basic personality will remain the same the vagaries that change us in this system will be gone and our personality will reflect the true us. 

As an example of this, things like the anxiety some people feel about how others view them and distrust due to being hurt will be gone, so surely this will free them up to be more relaxed and open towards others.    

Edited by GeordieGirl

23 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Ha!!!  Close. I'm a J and you're a P .. though oddly enough my result did come out as a P before and I have both results sets in my inbox. So I'm confused about which one I actually am. 

Edited by GeordieGirl

My sister worked in the HR dept of our biggest bank, and exposed me to MBTI. I think it explains a lot of things we do, but it will never be 100% accurate.
Our nature, nurture and life experience will shape our decisions. But it does also show we are sometimes 'true to type'.
An introvert will prefer to be quiet, while an extrovert will prefer to be involved, but there are times when this is reversed. But 'typically', they will go by their internal preference.
One of the books I read said the types will firm over time at 20,30 and 40. But there is no agreement amongst the authors.
A benefit I see, is we can cut people some slack because they do or do not do some things. It's nice to acknowledge we are all different, and not base others actions on our personal preferences...

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

I'm thinking that as one matures, you do change.  Anxieties sometimes increase if your load gets too much.  What bothered us when we were young may bother us less now, or vice versa.  And we are constantly trying to adjust our personalities to be as Jehovah wants us to be.

Personality types are different to traits, no?

Anyway, reading my "Adventurer" explanation, I agree with some, and definitely don't agree with other bits. 

Adventurers live to find ways to push their passions. Riskier behaviors like gambling and extreme sports are more common with this personality type than with others.

🤣

Remember also, these tests online are just "guide lines" to really nail it down, you need to read about the types suggested that you might be in detail and their function stackings. The system really is more indepth than an online test can really gurantee is your result.

So for example @hatcheckgirl you'd be best after doing those tests more than once and getting the two top results, to then look at these. :)

https://www.typeinmind.com/sife/

https://www.typeinmind.com/fise/

You'll see the actual four main cognitive function stacks of each type in full , descriptions and their order of strength which they lie within the types. In reality we all have  all "8" functions in all types, what defines your MBTI really is the order of strength they are in, which detirmines which ones you are most likely to use more or find easier to make use of and vice versa for the lower functions (as well as 4 "shadow" functions), that and then the Exteroversion vs Introversion, which is if you get energy from social interaction or lose it, and whether you are more prone to set routines and gain energy from that, or if you are more likely to ride by the seat of your pants and find routine harder, which is Judging vs Perceiving.

Edited by EccentricM

Personality types are different to traits...

I am sure there are books that define the difference, but in the MBTI example, you are either an introvert or an extrovert. Type or trait?

But either way, we can preach the word. Some will find going to the door harder than others. Both can speak the truth.

A love of the truth is not exclusive to personality 'types'.

Older

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Did it again.  I am now a defender.  That seems to fit my personality better.

ISFJ, -A/-T

Ah!!  See?  That's what I got .. both. LOL

As far as intoversion/extroversion goes I don't think that is a variable and the answers that pertain to these questions will always fall on the same side .. do I prefer reading books to going to parties? Yes. Do I quickly get involved in social activities? No.  

But then there are other questions to which the answers are life variables. For instance, 'Am I energetic and highly motivated'?  In good health and youth the answer is a resounding yes but now it's a definite no.  So do I answer this question according to the person I know I can be or according to the person I am now? 

Edited by GeordieGirl

26 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Now here is a question I have pondered from time to time...

If Jesus took the Myer-Briggs test - of the 16 varieties -

what would his personality be?

emoji848.png

Older

Perfection doesn't need these tests. It is only because of our imperfection that we have a fascination with these sorts of things. We do these things because we want to know and understand ourselves, and each other, better.   When we are perfect, I believe we will have deep understanding of who we are so we won't have any need or interest in trying to get to know ourselves better.

51 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Now here is a question I have pondered from time to time...

If Jesus took the Myer-Briggs test - of the 16 varieties -

what would his personality be?

emoji848.png

Older

It's often thought, at least what we see in the scriptures, that he was an INFJ or ENFJ. In that order of probability. But being perfect, who knows how his function stacks worked. What we saw may have all been by choice of what he decided to use from his mind.

Edited by EccentricM