JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Personality Types - what type are you?

I'm ISTJ-A (one of the more boring types 🙄😑).  Much is true...some bits more, some less.  Notably, I'm 52% I, 48% E... that makes a bit of difference. But I identify more with the Introvert

ISTJ Strengths

ISTJ strengths
  • Honest and Direct – Integrity is the heart of the ISTJ personality type. Emotional manipulation, mind games and reassuring lies all run counter to ISTJs’ preference for managing the reality of the situations they encounter with plain and simple honesty.
  • Strong-willed and Dutiful – ISTJs embody that integrity in their actions too, working hard and staying focused on their goals. Patient and determined, people with the ISTJ personality type meet their obligations, period.
  • Very Responsible – ISTJs’ word is a promise, and a promise means everything. ISTJs would rather run themselves into the ground with extra days and lost sleep than fail to deliver the results they said they would. Loyalty is a strong sentiment for ISTJ personalities, and they fulfill their duties to the people and organizations they’ve committed themselves to.
  • Calm and Practical – None of their promises would mean much if ISTJs lost their tempers and broke down at every sign of hardship – they keep their feet on the ground and make clear, rational decisions. Peoples’ preferences are a factor to consider in this process, and ISTJs work to make the best use of individual qualities, but these decisions are made with effectiveness in mind more so than empathy. The same applies to criticisms, for others and themselves.
  • Create and Enforce Order – The primary goal of any ISTJ is to be effective in what they’ve chosen to do, and they believe that this is accomplished best when everyone involved knows exactly what is going on and why. Unclear guidelines and people who break established rules undermine this effort, and are rarely tolerated by ISTJs. Structure and rules foster dependability; chaos creates unforeseen setbacks and missed deadlines.
  • Jacks-of-all-trades – Much like Analyst personalities, ISTJs are proud repositories of knowledge, though the emphasis is more on facts and statistics than concepts and underlying principles. This allows ISTJs to apply themselves to a variety of situations, picking up and applying new data and grasping the details of challenging situations as a matter of course.

ISTJ Weaknesses

ISTJ weaknesses
  • Stubborn – The facts are the facts, and ISTJs tend to resist any new idea that isn’t supported by them. This factual decision-making process also makes it difficult for people with the ISTJ personality type to accept that they were wrong about something – but anyone can miss a detail, even them.
  • Insensitive – While not intentionally harsh, ISTJs often hurt more sensitive types’ feelings by the simple mantra that honesty is the best policy. ISTJ personalities may take emotions into consideration, but really only so far as to determine the most effective way to say what needs to be said.
  • Always by the Book – ISTJs believe that things work best with clearly defined rules, but this makes them reluctant to bend those rules or try new things, even when the downside is minimal. Truly unstructured environments leave ISTJs all but paralyzed.
  • Judgmental – Opinions are opinions and facts are facts, and ISTJs are unlikely to respect people who disagree with those facts, or especially those who remain willfully ignorant of them.
  • Often Unreasonably Blame Themselves – All this can combine to make ISTJs believe they are the only ones who can see projects through reliably. As they load themselves with extra work and responsibilities, turning away good intentions and helpful ideas, ISTJs sooner or later hit a tipping point where they simply can’t deliver. Since they’ve heaped the responsibility on themselves, ISTJs then believe the responsibility for failure is theirs alone to bear.

On 7/29/2018 at 5:36 AM, hatcheckgirl said:

Personality type: “The Adventurer” (ISFP-T)
Individual traits: Introverted – 56%, Observant – 66%, Feeling – 86%, Prospecting – 51%, Turbulent – 57%
Role: Explorer
Strategy: Constant Improvement

I don't know if that's true though.  I thought I was more of a mothering/caring type.  Maybe we shift personality over time.

No.. I don't think it's true... Even from a few comments i read from you : I thought caring/motherly!  Perhaps the machine had a bad day :)

I wanted to try the test at first but I'm pretty sure where my personality is already and know where it needs maintenance.. (after any WT) I don't want to complicate it with things that might not be priorities 😱

Edited by Alan

spelling grammar

And there is also the 'chameleon' principle, where we try to blend with others based on sympathy or empathy (not always a bad thing...)
... And add our own paradigm => how we see ourselves may not be how others see us...
So it is a 'guide' only. Be open to the idea that others can have different views and approaches...

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

1 hour ago, TonyWenz said:

And there is also the 'chameleon' principle, where we try to blend with others based on sympathy or empathy (not always a bad thing...)
... And add our own paradigm => how we see ourselves may not be how others see us...
So it is a 'guide' only. Be open to the idea that others can have different views and approaches...

Older

:)

sounds like Rom 12:15,16

15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; weep with those who weep. 16 Have the same attitude toward others as toward yourselves; do not set your mind on lofty things,a but be led along with the lowly things.

very interesting :)

On 7/29/2018 at 6:01 PM, TonyWenz said:

Now here is a question I have pondered from time to time...

If Jesus took the Myer-Briggs test - of the 16 varieties -

what would his personality be?

emoji848.png

Older

I think he must have been everything and nothing at the same time.

He had every personality traits. When he had to be F, he showed it.

When he needed some serious thinking (for example, to defend himself against opposers)

Well, he used his thinking functions, which was perfect.

I used to be into typology, but it's really difficult to not get down this rabbit hole of wanting to use it consider how compatible with a person, job, education course, etc that I'd be or use it to classify others. It also led me to personalitycafe which led to bad association

I think I was vulnerable because I learned to believe there was something major wrong with me because I was different.

I typically type as INFJ if you wanna know tho

I hope you guys don't mind me giving my opinion....

I think everyone is unique and I don't see how any personality test can really categorize a persons true personality. I don't understand why someone would want to be categorized or why they want to categorize others..

Just a question, now that some have revealed their category or personality type, has it affected the way you feel about that person?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Yes, it has helped me to understand why and how some react to some situation. Two individuals may have the same reaction to a situation, one may vocalise it more than the other. That does not mean the quieter one cares any less...

Older

21 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I hope you guys don't mind me giving my opinion....

I think everyone is unique and I don't see how any personality test can really categorize a persons true personality. I don't understand why someone would want to be categorized or why they want to categorize others..

Just a question, now that some have revealed their category or personality type, has it affected the way you feel about that person?

For myself, yes.  First, it helped me to understand myself, why I may tend to react as I do. Most importantly, it helped me to recognize tendencies that are not that great and be more conscious of them. None of us can lean on the excuse "that's just the way I am", right? But I think becoming conscious of "the way we are" can help us modify those traits into more "Christian-ready" attributes.

In relating to others, I do find it helpful in understanding why they might reason or react the way they do, especially if it's rather different to how I'd react.  I've learned not only how to modify myself but also how to relate to others in a more sympathetic way.  ALL OF THIS with the caveat that no one can be placed squarely into one category.  As humans, we are all fluid, react differently to things based on age, experience, health, etc... but there can be a bit to learn from the typology.  It's not personality as much as temperament - those are quite different things.

So -- "no", knowing another's type doesn't affect how I feel about a person.  It may affect how I deal with them, however.. either based upon my own personality or on theirs.

Yes, it has helped me to understand why and how some react to some situation. Two individuals may have the same reaction to a situation, one may vocalise it more than the other. That does not mean the quieter one cares any less...

Older

However, I do not believe it should be used to manipulate people, as it is possible to bait people if you know their weakness.
Also, I don't judge how people view a situation as it is from their personal viewpoint. If we have similar personality quirks, I might think 'Yes, they are right!', but is really only that we both view it from the same angle.
Let's say for example, I have children with different 'types' as defined by MBTI. One child is J;1 is P. I ask them to tidy their room. The result will be 2 tidied rooms, but to different standards.
Now how do I judge them?
If I am a 'J', I might say, to the J child, well done! (mainly because it meets my criteria), and to the P child, why are you not more like your sibling!!! Yet to the P child it is tidy!!!!

If I am a 'P', I might not even ask them to tidy their rooms. If I do, I might worry my J child is developing OCD. Some favour a child because they are 'like' them. This could be a trap.

And finally, don't let your strength become your weakness... we can have an attribute so finally tuned (and it may or may not be right), but it will isolate other viewpoints.

I liken this whole process to a remote control on a toy helicopter. It has the 2 joysticks, but when you first fire up the toy, you have to 'trim' it, as it wants to veer in a certain way when it should be steady. These are like our 'type' tenancies. We need to balance them. If the way we veer and the direction we want to go are the same, there is not much resistance. If we veer in the opposite direction, it takes more effort on our part, just to get to the starting point... Holy spirit can help.

We are not toys, but free moral agents. So we need to work on our personality to make it more 'Christ-like'. IMO

For those that are interested in my 4 letters... I am N U T S

Lol

Older

Older

48 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Yes, it has helped me to understand why and how some react to some situation. 

Has it affected how you might expect someone to react?

Do you initially treat them differently because you expect them to react according to their type?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Has it affected how you might expect someone to react?
Do you initially treat them differently because you expect them to react according to their type?
Not really. You don't normally walk around trying to pick 'types'. It's like knocking on someone's door for the first time. You do not know how they will react, or why. No particular 'type' will accept the truth over another. The heart is the soil where the seed falls.
If the topic is close to their heart, even an introvert will be attracted and vocalise their interest.
My sister (in HR) can determine 80%of types with 7 questions casually inserted in a conversation. But that is a skill that she acquired in her work environment.
I cannot, nor am I enclined to do so...
As I walk to a house, and there is stuff all over the place... I cannot tell if that is a 'J' in stress or a happy 'P'.
Best I can do is to open someone's fridge or pantry, and see if there are any 'J's' at home...
It can be used for good. For a 'T' (thinker) you may pose a question; 'So do you think a God of justice would...` ;
Whereas you might say to a 'F' (feeler): 'How would you feel if you saw injustice...'
I note our magazines will present accurate information on a range of topics in many various ways, to appeal to as many people as possible.
How good is that.
And every one of us that went to the RC went away on a high, regardless of where or how or who 'pigeon holed' us.

We cannot read too much into 'Typing'.

IMO. Said with love...

Older

1 hour ago, Katty said:

Not really. I'll basically either think "i figured" or see how it fits and how it doesn't.

So if you meet someone for the first time and you already know their personality type, you don't think you would treat them differently than you would have if you didn't know their personality type?

3 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

So if you meet someone for the first time and you already know their personality type, you don't think you would treat them differently than you would have if you didn't know their personality type?

How would you know their type if you've just met them for the first time? Did someone supply you with that information?

My answer to the question, however, is, "no".  

12 minutes ago, Hope said:

How would you know their type if you've just met them for the first time? Did someone supply you with that information?

My answer to the question, however, is, "no".  

Several people have posted their personality tests results here.

I'm not saying it's bad, I think posting your personality test results here isn't different than telling us your favorite color, favorite food or whether you like to read or not.

I was just curious how the information was being used..

BTW, I think your answer is "yes". If you knew someone didn't like something based on their test results, you would avoid doing it...😁

Edited by Tortuga

These personality types have their limitations, for sure.  It is not wise to use them for assessing people you meet in your every day life.  Judging, is a word that comes to mind.  Use it instead to get to know yourself.  We always are told to apply the scriptures to yourself, and not worry how the others are doing.  We can use this information to recognise our strengths, or our weaknesses and use this to mold our personalities to what Jehovah desires.  Or, not to be too hard on ourselves if say, as an introverted type, we aren't able to do as much as more extroverted types.  Keep in mind that things like PTSD will change your personality from extrovert to introvert.  Our personalities are affected by all sorts of things.

But the biggest factor is the HS working on us to overcome limitations.  We are all a work in progress.  Our personalities make us unique.  Embrace the differences!

16 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Several people have posted their personality tests results here.

I'm not saying it's bad, I think posting your personality test results here isn't different than telling us your favorite color, favorite food or whether you like to read or not.

I was just curious how the information was being used..

BTW, I think your answer is "yes". If you knew someone didn't like something based on their test results, you would avoid doing it...😁

No, I wouldn't - not based on the test.  I'd ask them outright. Simply because when I read my own descriptors, there are several things that are not necessarily true about me.. at least not at all times.  I really hate for someone to be presumptuous about me and if I presumed upon someone's likes/dislikes because of what I *thought* I knew of them from a personality test, I'd be doing them a disservice.

The personality test can sometime help determine what might inspire or motivate a particular action or attitude, but it doesn't say what those attitudes or actions may be.   And like Lucy says, they're best for examining oneself.  Possible understanding others is a side benefit.

Edited by Hope

4 minutes ago, Hope said:

Possible understanding others is a side benefit.

Insight helps us to react appropriately.  We know that person is emotional (even if we didn't know their personality types).  We know they are under stress (and they just can't handle anymore right now, they're at the end of their tether).  So we accommodate their feelings.  We don't add to it.

That's really the only use I see for knowing someone's personality type.  But isn't that something we figure out after a while when we get to know them?  Labels are so restrictive.  Our discernment, trained from the Bible is superior to that.  It's the way of love.

With all this, it's why I have the view and understanding of MBTI that I do. I'm a "functionist" not a MBTIist... I'm tempted to actually just write up my own version of the system for what I see and experiance as what I feel is a better application and understanding of the system.

To me, MBTI is just your tools, not persona, and why certain people find "this type of thinking hard" and "this type of thinking easy" and perhaps would be more prone to one or the other, but not "absent" of one or the other. Why some people have to "think harder" or.. "feel" to put more effort in being empathetic, or sympathetic, not they are "not" empathetic or sympathetic, but the "level of intensity" of it they feel will be based upon the function stackings order. People have applied too much black and white into the system. "Thinkers are dull, feelers are dumb", but not at all. I've been mistaken for a thinker type several times simply through my objective reasoning. And I've seen thinkers literally just fly off the handle where I remained calm.

In reality, me being a feeler, just means.. I have "very strong feelings" that I have to wrestle with, harder than other people perhaps, I feel certain emotional convcitions with great intensity, but not that I'm incapble of doing what a thinker does or that I can't put aside feelings, I just put more effort into it. And that to me is all MBTI is, energy levels for certain mental activities that are gained or taken away. 

Think.. introvert vs extrovert as the easiest example. Social interaction = energy gained/energy lost. So.. apply that to all other functions in the stack, the lower in the stacking order it is.. the more energy it takes to make use of it. The four main stacks are what you are most gifted in, in that order (and I don't mean the 4 stacks as the four MBTI LETTERS, that's just a label, which does not actually tell you about your stacks, hence my earlier link to https://www.typeinmind.com/).

So.. with persona.. "everyone" is stil unique, it just means some people find certain modes of thought harder to use than others, and certain types of feelings are felt more or less intently than others. You'll note in the link.. that everyone in all types has "sensing, thinking and feeling" in their stacks. It's just what "variation" of those you have (as your mains) and in what order of strength and what you most likely are to use more, or.. lean to.

Example, ENFP means I am really, in full letter description am a EP-NFTS (meaning, I'm extroverted, not good at routines, and that my functions in order of strength to tap into are Extroverted Intution, Introverted Feeling, Extroverted Thinking, Introverted Sensing) and yes the names of those functions get confusing with the whole extroverted vs introverted, as they do not carry the same meaning as "extroversion vs introversion", external vs internal is a better label for those functions..

But where was I, yes. Those tools you'll note.. say nothing about "who" I am. And it also doesnt account for IQ or EIQ.

Edited by EccentricM