JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apostasy - movie

Just out in the UK, directed by an "ex-JW", the film "Aposasy" is about conflicts in a family of Witnesses and a congregation over the practice of disfellowshiping and 'shunning'.  It was filmed in Oldham, UK and apparently uses exteriors of the Oldham Kingdom Hall.

I have not seen, and do not wish to see, it, but I thought it wise to alert brothers and sisters to it and its themes.

IMDB link https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4729896/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Personally, I do not agree with giving any publicity to apostates directly by naming their websites, movies, projects, etc, but from what I understand (and based on some of the reviews I read from a couple of honest apostates), the film attempts to misrepresent us by portraying us as living a bland, boring life (hence the bland colors the film was filmed in). Most Witnesses I know have hobbies, different skills and abilities, are well-rounded, etc, and don't steal babies (or whatever the actors were doing).

And I also keep in mind that this is JUST a movie.

I think its wise to give a warning so if others come across it then that is warning before one makes a false step. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

6 minutes ago, Greg Dent said:

I think its wise to give a warning so if others come across it then that is warning before one makes a false step. Nothing wrong with that at all. 

If you want, sure, but that's why I said I personally don't agree with it -- I never said anything was "wrong" with doing so.

Edited by Bob

I have watched the trailer. From what I could see in it, it is all about emotions. Typical things: something about blood, then a girl gets disfellowshipped for being pregnant with some schoolmate and her parents would not speak to her. Therefore it says that she was disfellowshiped for being pregnant. Nobody is disfellowshipped for a sin. It is always for not showing repentance, vide - remaining in the sinful behaviour. I have not seen any reference to the Bible explaining that this is not what we made up. I cannot see it being very truthful. The truth would not sell, so they need to dramatise it. In other words - I would not recommend. Waste of time and also do not support them financially too. 

59 minutes ago, tarcamion said:

I have watched the trailer. From what I could see in it, it is all about emotions. Typical things: something about blood, then a girl gets disfellowshipped for being pregnant with some schoolmate and her parents would not speak to her. Therefore it says that she was disfellowshiped for being pregnant. Nobody is disfellowshipped for a sin. It is always for not showing repentance, vide - remaining in the sinful behaviour. I have not seen any reference to the Bible explaining that this is not what we made up. I cannot see it being very truthful. The truth would not sell, so they need to dramatise it. In other words - I would not recommend. Waste of time and also do not support them financially too. 

Agree.

And too, its really designed to get a negative reaction out of Witnesses -- to drag you into a place you will not get out of emotionally.

• 3 weeks later...