JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Rats from a huge building being torn down.

They are tearing down a Schneiders meat plant down the street. All the rats are bailing out at record numbers. The alley behind us is over run and they have invaded our yard. Found one in the bbq on the weekend. Pretty stinking annoying. They chewed through the half rotted shed floor and they filled the floor with Rat crap. City has done nothing to try to prevent this. I put rat poison in the holes in the shed. I am thinking to put a pail inside with peanut butter in the bottom and put a stick up the top so they fall in to get the peanut butter and cant get out. I sent an email to the city but doubt they will do anything about it. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

I hear you! We're having a rat problem, too. They live in the lot behind us and invade our yard at night. They've been eating the milkweed, which we got to raise monarch caterpillars and last night they ate a big tomato that was just turning color. We have a rat cage trap, but it only catches one at a time. 

You could always think about getting a "business" of ferrets - they make short work of rats

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, Greg Dent said:

I put rat poison in the holes in the shed. I am thinking to put a pail inside with peanut butter in the bottom and put a stick up the top so they fall in to get the peanut butter and cant get out

Be careful with the poisoning,  if they crawl into your walls and die...

Also,  rats can jump. If you fill the bucket with water they can't get to the bottom of it to jump from and they drown.

They are not near our house the they ate through the rotted floor of the shed and crapped all over the place. There is no food around for them. They are getting pretty brazen. There was a skunk in the area that kept them away but it seems to have gotten a case of road rash. I will look and see about ferrets and see if anyone uses them to clean out rats.. I hear Dachshunds are good for rats too. 

Oh ok. I didnt know they could jump that well. Thanks for the info.

52 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

How do you feel about pellet guns?

Cant use them in the city. You get caught you get fined for firing a weapon in the city.

Edited by Greg Dent

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Throw some mothballs around, they'll leave.

Use the paradichlorobenzene ones,  not naptha.

They sublimate into a gas that will pretty much clear the room.

(Whatever you do, if you should happen to find yourself with some naptha ones, by accident, do not ever, ever, crush any and roll them up into brown paper bag pieces that might resemble a rocket and don't even think about lighting the end of this rocket looking thing that you didn't make)

6 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

(Whatever you do, if you should happen to find yourself with some naptha ones, by accident, do not ever, ever, crush any and roll them up into brown paper bag pieces that might resemble a rocket and don't even think about lighting the end of this rocket looking thing that you didn't make)

I remember the first time we 'didn't' do that....:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 hours ago, Musky said:

Have you tried rats on the Barbie? (As our friends from down under would say it.) :)

King Rat...

Interesting book....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 4 weeks later...
They are not near our house the they ate through the rotted floor of the shed and crapped all over the place. There is no food around for them. They are getting pretty brazen. There was a skunk in the area that kept them away but it seems to have gotten a case of road rash. I will look and see about ferrets and see if anyone uses them to clean out rats.. I hear Dachshunds are good for rats too. 

Oh ok. I didnt know they could jump that well. Thanks for the info.

Cant use them in the city. You get caught you get fined for firing a weapon in the city.

SNAKES is what I hear will get em'.

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"