JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Newly engaged!!

Congrats!

One thing we did that I do recommend, if possible:

I don't know how things are done there - but, here, where I live it is fairly common that couples get married on Saturdays - then head for their honeymoon. Often, they do not attend meetings during their honeymoon.

What we did - we located a Hall that was near where we were going AND where neither of us was known to anyone in that Hall. We managed to find one with afternoon meetings. We went to the Public Meeting and did not tell anyone we had just gotten married. Instead, we just introduced ourselves as Brother and Sister (Mr & Mrs) so we could see what it was like to be received as a couple/family instead of as "Newlyweds".

Personally, I think it was a wise choice because it deepened our desire to truly be Husband and Wife - right from the start.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 8/4/2018 at 8:29 AM, moosic said:

But, does anyone have any advice for engaged couples, the wedding, new married life...

Start simple. Keep it simple.

We eloped. Well…I was 18 and not in the Truth.

My only wedding pics were the next day for my passport.

Forty seven years later we still have fond memories.

Edited by outwalkin

On 8/4/2018 at 8:29 AM, moosic said:

But, does anyone have any advice for engaged couples, the wedding, new married life... Etc! Any advice will be gratefully received. 

Ruuuuuuun while you still can! Jk :lol1:

Seriously,...congratulations, and best wishes. :)

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Congratulations! Being married is so much fun 😊 My husband and I have been married 3 years, and I have to say the best advice I can give is to really keep the wedding simple. We grew up in different congregations, and both have family from out of town, so the potential guest list was quite big. We narrowed it down to 110 and it was a nice number in the end. We tried to be as organized as possible and, with the help of friends and family, were able to have an almost stress-free wedding and reception. My husband’s brother came into town a few days before the wedding asking what needed to be done and was surprised when we told him everything was taken care of. We made sure to ask for help well in advance, and I wrote/typed down EVERYTHING for my friends to help set up the day of the wedding. 

I have been a part of too many weddings where everyone is stressed (including me) and really didn’t want that for our own wedding. Brides arriving over an hour late to the ceremony, people helping set up not having any direction and not knowing what to do, things getting misplaced/forgotten, bridal party mishaps, people crying...of course not everything can be perfect and things happen, but I learned a lot from other weddings. We chose to not have a wedding party at all, since we figured it would just add one more thing to think about. Our friends and siblings know we love them, and we don’t think they minded not being in the wedding. Saved us and them money too! 

As for newly married life, I feel like a surprising thing to get used to was sleeping in the same bed as another person. For the first week or two, especially. I’m not sure if anyone else has had this happen, but it was strange for me. What else...I think it’s easy to forget about your friends for a bit after getting married. You’re used to needing chaperones around when you’re dating/engaged, and once you’re married you can be alone, woohoo! So it’s easy to forget to socialize with others haha at least it was for us. Thats all I can think of at the moment, but keep us updated on your plans and if you have any questions or just want to talk, feel free! 🤗