JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Calling on Greek speaking brothers and sisters

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2081 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

14 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Because of divisions Carlos? 

I'm not sure I understand the question. :)

When Greek explorers found dark-skinned people living in North-West Africa, they called them "mauroi" (modern Greek "mavroi"). Of course, their land became Mauritania, the land of the Mauros (= black people).

From the same word, through Latin, "mauro" becomes "moro" (= Moor), and from there, Morocco.

The Roman province of Mauritania covered all North-Western Africa, including today's Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria and Mauritania. Today Mauritania is much smaller and one of the poorest countries in the world.

Thanks -  I thought maybe if it had racist connotations it was a racism division, but seems just developing the words. I like learning new things thanks Carlos.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

On 8/7/2018 at 1:56 PM, LuGover17 said:

What we just found out from a greek brother in our congregation who visited over the weekend is that "Mavro" can also be used as a derogatory term

Coming back to your point, @LuGover17, please take note of how the brothers have translated the word "black people" in paragraph 11 of this week's WT, specifically this sentence: “I wanted to champion the rights of black people".  Here it is in Greek:

mavro.JPG.249d962f353d10b7196b4d9557b05711.JPG

As I said, to most of us who speak Greek, we recognise it mainly as a colour, and it is also the word used to say "black people" with no derogatory implication.  You should not feel that Mavro is predominately used derogatively in Greek, because even in English we can say "black people" in a derogatory tone, and hence change the meaning.

Thanks again for all the comments. Carlos learned something new.

I've decided to stay clear from naming the pup Mavro. The word has been used alot by some Greek speaking people in South Africa to refer to black people in a derogitory way. Alot of Greek speaking people in South Africa have in the past, and still own alot of business, mainly corner cafe's and Fruit and Veg stores. Most of their employees are black, and some of these owners have often used this word as a racist slur to refer to their staff in a derogitory way.  I think not so much now but definitely during apartheid years. 

Its proper use has now been lost. So best to steer clear of this word in South Africa, so ive learned. 

Lewis, I'm sure you're making the right choice for your situation.  I found it interesting to share how it is commonly understood, and this week's WT study had the perfect example of what I was trying to say.  Especially because others here have possibly misunderstood that ordinarily, there is nothing wrong with using Mavros.  And since the WT used the same word in the same context, I was hoping it would put your mind at rest.  Best to do what's best in your circumstances.  Happy we had this rather interesting discussion.  I think we all learnt something :D.

39 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Lewis, I'm sure you're making the right choice for your situation.  I found it interesting to share how it is commonly understood, and this week's WT study had the perfect example of what I was trying to say.  Especially because others here have possibly misunderstood that ordinarily, there is nothing wrong with using Mavros.  And since the WT used the same word in the same context, I was hoping it would put your mind at rest.  Best to do what's best in your circumstances.  Happy we had this rather interesting discussion.  I think we all learnt something :D.

Thanks, I also found this very interesting and thank you for sharing. Really appreciate it! Have an awesome weekend. 

Sorry, I'm not connected so often in the forum and now I saw this topic. As a native greek I agree with the sisters and brothers that replied to you. Mavros (male) or Mavri (female) is just the colour or the people that having dark skin. On the contrary, lefkos (male) or lefki (female) are the white colour and people with light skin. A small detail to this, there are two words in greek that describes the white colour: Aspros & lefkos (male). They have a very small difference each other and there is no importance to mention it.

But the point is that there is no meaning of racism if you describe someone's colour by using this word. I can't find a reason why that brother that you mentioned in the 1st post, said such a thing.

It may have a different connotation in the heavily prejudiced S.Africa than it does in Greece.

Not unlike using Negro in US, instead of Spain.  In one country, okay. In another, not okay.

6 minutes ago, Hope said:

In one country, okay. In another, not okay.

Possibly, Uani.  But it is puzzling to Greek speakers still.  We Greek speakers all agree, it is not offensive in the general meaning of the word.  Here is an example (yes, it's in Australia) of a dog used for helping others, a black dog called Mavro. Adelaide has a lot of Greek speakers, so the dog would not be given a name that would offend possible clients.  I do respect Lewis' decision.  It's just that it isn't offensive and not at all like it would be in USA.

http://advancebehaviouraltraining.com.au/staff-members/mavro-the-blind-dog-adelaide/

Performer/ Inspirer