JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WT Library - Available for Download!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2046 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

There was a time (in the past) when some would argue or disagree if you gave someone your DVD (or CD) copy to use for installation.  Or if you put the files on a flash drive from the DVD.  They felt the action was the "indiscriminate distribution" of copyrighted material that was not for public use.

Well, now the organization puts these same files on its publicly accessible website for anyone to download and activate. Just having the program installed can allow anyone the opportunity to have regular updates of these same files.  So the question of sharing the files has been put to bed.

Edited by jwhess

There was a time (in the past) when some would argue or disagree if you gave someone your DVD (or CD) copy to use for installation.  Or if you put the files on a flash drive from the DVD.  They felt the action was the "indiscriminate distribution" of copyrighted material that was not for public use.

Well, now the organization puts these same files on its publicly accessible website for anyone to download and activate. Just having the program installed can allow anyone the opportunity to have regular updates of these same files.  So the question of sharing the files has been put to bed.
Well... there was no need in the past to anticipate Organization steps... Now is the appropriate time...

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

The difference is that they have the legal rights to do so. Nobody else.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

56 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

The difference is that they have the legal rights to do so. Nobody else.

In the original instructions there were ways to legally transfer the disk or its contents but it was not really a problem.

EDIT: it took me a minute to find the license.

*** wtlib-help License Agreement ***
You may transfer the Product to another party who is one of Jehovah’s Witnesses who agrees to be bound by the terms of this Agreement.

Edited by jwhess

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Has anyone used the downloaded WTLIB yet?

I'm curious about something, is the OD book in the downloaded WTLIB?

Is there a reminder that the OD book is an internal publication like this one in JWL?

image.png.cdf457cffd9db20728248b2443cbfd23.png

yes the OD book is in the downloaded WTLIB, and no there was no reminder or noticifcation when i clicked on the publication. hope this helps

In the original instructions there were ways to legally transfer the disk or its contents but it was not really a problem.

EDIT: it took me a minute to find the license.
*** wtlib-help License Agreement ***
You may transfer the Product to another party who is one of Jehovah’s Witnesses who agrees to be bound by the terms of this Agreement.

Yes, that was the limit. This did not mean you could make it available online for other people to download. In that respect, it is the same as with our other publication. You might take a physical copy and give it to someone, or copy a page or two from it.

You may not make a digital copy of it, or download such a copy, and make it available on a server for other people to download. You might make a copy or two, print it for a friend or return visit, or share it with that one friend using other limited means.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

20 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, that was the limit. This did not mean you could make it available online for other people to download. In that respect, it is the same as with our other publication. You might take a physical copy and give it to someone, or copy a page or two from it.

You may not make a digital copy of it, or download such a copy, and make it available on a server for other people to download. You might make a copy or two, print it for a friend or return visit, or share it with that one friend using other limited means.

Fortunately,  we have the "share" button now online to transfer these publications to anyone in any quantity, in digital format (if they have means of using digital copies). There are much older (historical) publications that are out of copyright that are occasionally available to fill out your digital library. Most brothers are reasonably careful in their use of the material published by our organization.  Those that are opposed to us will find whatever means necessary to take liberties with our publications.  If they are not altered (and some are) it is still a distribution of God's word regardless of intent, like the Russian prosecutor reading Br. Knorr's letter for all to hear.

Copyrights were never intended to prevent sharing our publications with our brothers and sisters.

In the old time before we had digital editions, often we would run out of Kingdom Ministries and the elders would send me to make some photocopies for the brothers who didn't have one. Those obsessed with the letter of the law would raise their hands to their head and cry copyright infringement, but actually that was the right way to proceed.

Sharing your CDROM with a brother who had lost his or had forgotten to order one was the logical, reasonable and loving thing to do. Refusing to do that because of copyright would be Pharisaical.

Imagine those brothers in Nazi concentration camps who copied Bible scriptures on pieces of paper. Copyright breakers! :nope:

Edited by carlos

• 2 weeks later...
This is true. However, maybe a reason why a Mac-specific version was never planned is that Watchtower Library works perfectly in a Mac by using a free and easy to configure emulator. 

hey Bro Carlos....do you have a step by step file with the ''Mac" instructions?
Also, the wt update currently on the forum, is that for iOS tablets or windows?

Thank you

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

16 hours ago, walkr2 said:

So Bro Hess, is this update for iOS devices or laptops?
Thank you

Sr. Voni, the Watchtower Library only works on Microsoft Windows systems.  The "Mac" users can load a "Windows" emulator (a program that looks like Windows) on their systems and the Watchtower Library works with that.  Not on IOS or Android systems.  If your laptop runs a "real" Windows operating system (not Windows RT) it can be loaded on most laptops.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:05 AM, walkr2 said:

hey Bro Carlos....do you have a step by step file with the ''Mac" instructions?

Sorry, I didn't notice this post until today. I'm afraid I have no idea about Mac computers. But this site looks like a great step-by-step explanation:

http://cwestblog.com/2018/03/15/watchtower-library-on-mac-using-wineskin-winery/

• 2 weeks later...
This is true. However, maybe a reason why a Mac-specific version was never planned is that Watchtower Library works perfectly in a Mac by using a free and easy to configure emulator. 

Although I tried to follow the instructions very closely Bro. Carlos, it never worked on my Mac! Is this new update apt to work better as an apple download?

Yvonne

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

4 hours ago, walkr2 said:

Although I tried to follow the instructions very closely Bro. Carlos, it never worked on my Mac! Is this new update apt to work better as an apple download?
Yvonne

Sr. Yvonne, I do not run a Mac computer.  There is more than one emulator app or program to make Windows 10 work on a MacIntosh.  A quick check shows these six and there are more.  Maybe a different one would work for you.

VMware Fusion 10

VirtualBox

Parallels Desktop 13

Boot Camp

CrossOver Mac

WineBottler

I downloaded the WTL ISO file on my Mother-in-law's LAPTOP running Win 7(or 8) last month. 2Gb download directly from the website. It was able to Install the WTL on the laptop, and then another 1Gb update. Seemed to install without any memorable hiccups.
This was without any DVD or USB intervention, just straight from the Web and via internet connection.
I'm still trying to get through the difference between 'on-line' and 'off-line'; and the difference between WTL, the JW app, JW org, WOLe (I like to add the 'e', {sorry to the purists} and TV 'stream' and 'on-demand' v 'download' ["But it's already downloaded on my phone..."])

Oh well...

Older {waiting for wiser}

57 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

I'm still trying to get through the difference between 'on-line' and 'off-line'; and the difference between WTL, the JW app, JW org, WOLe (I like to add the 'e', {sorry to the purists} and TV 'stream' and 'on-demand' v 'download' ["But it's already downloaded on my phone..."])

Just enjoy the variety and remember that Spice is the variety of life, ...no, that's not right.

Variety is a slice of pie, ...no that doesn't sound right either. 

Life is the spice of variety...hum, one more chance...

Variety is the life of spice! Got it!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

55 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Just enjoy the variety and remember that Spice is the variety of life, ...no, that's not right.

Variety is a slice of pie, ...no that doesn't sound right either. 

Life is the spice of variety...hum, one more chance...

Variety is the life of spice! Got it!

Br. Richard, ...maybe you can get a cup of coffee and sit down (before you hurt yourself)...😎❤️