JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Catholic Priests in Pennsylvania

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2012 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

30 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Is there a link or more information about where this comes from?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/‘they-hid-it-all’-catholic-priests-abused-1000-children-in-pennsylvania-report-says/ar-BBLVZRR?li=BBnbcA1

There are many news agencies covering it, here is one link. I deleted the first report that I found, it was too graphic.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

There has been no comprehensive measurement of the full scope of child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church in the United States, though some have tried. American abuse survivors have pushed for years for the government to undertake a nationwide inquiry similar to the one conducted in Australia, where a royal commission spent four years examining the sexual abuse of children by a variety of religious and civic institutions, including the Catholic Church.

I guess it's just a matter of time before the USA does what the Australian RC did..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

There has been no comprehensive measurement of the full scope of child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church in the United States, though some have tried. American abuse survivors have pushed for years for the government to undertake a nationwide inquiry similar to the one conducted in Australia, where a royal commission spent four years examining the sexual abuse of children by a variety of religious and civic institutions, including the Catholic Church.

I guess it's just a matter of time before the USA does what the Australian RC did..

I don't really think they ever will. Of course, I could be wrong.

I say that because the sexual abuse/assault Hollywood scandal and subsequent "#Metoo" movement exposed people in high-profile positions in this country. Many people lost their careers over their abuse being uncovered. This country is run by Catholics and their offshoots and Evangelicals.

I don't believe they will allow anything like the ARC to happen here. It will likely break any power they have left, though, I believe that power has already been significantly weakened anyway.

I feel the only motivating force that would prompt the government to any kind of real action is the almighty dollar.  When these sex scandals start hurting the income of the government, then they'll act.

People suffering?  Who cares!  

Loss of revenue?  Something must be done!

Edited by Shawnster

21 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I feel the only motivating force that would prompt the government to any kind of real action is the almighty dollar.  When these sex scandals start hurting the income of the government, then they'll act.

There is truth to this, I believe. Politicians do not touch the issue with a 10 foot pole when campaigning for office. I believe the costs would be too high to investigate it, provide counsel to people affected, and to prosecute the criminals and their enablers.

The US has one of the worst records of developed countries when it comes to preventing and addressing child abuse.

https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse-statistics/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-b_43oXv3AIVULbACh3dWA-YEAAYAyAAEgJA5_D_BwE

http://www.invisiblechildren.org/2017/12/29/child-abuse-statistics-the-best-resources/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-b_43oXv3AIVULbACh3dWA-YEAAYASAAEgK9bvD_BwE

To your other point, they wouldn't let the big banks fail and create a world wide depression, and acted swiftly to fix that issue.

Edited by Bob

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

What motivated the ARC to act?

Money?

Political pressure?

A sense of justice?

1 hour ago, Dustparticle said:

Were are the list of the priest names?? That is I want to see.

Why?

12 hours ago, Margaret said:

Horrible news. 300+ priests molesting 1000+ children, and the Church kept records.

It seems strange to click on 👍on such a terrible subject, but it's a thank you that you posted it. 

It is indeed terrible and it makes me wonder why the nations put up with them 

Guess when Jehovah puts it into their hearts to move on BtG they will remember these things. 

Ive been looking over the convention notes on that subject . but here it's 🤐  😉

Hebrews 10:25 …. encouraging one another...even more as you see the day drawing near.

22 hours ago, Tortuga said:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pennsylvania-grand-jury-catholic-priests-20180814-story.html

There are many news agencies covering it, here is one link.

Goodness.  I must be getting old and senile.  I wrote this yesterday .. and here it is, still sitting in the reply box. Oh well.  I might as well post it now. LOL

Thank you, Richard. :)  

What may be plastered all over the airways in the US is often not even seen in other places around the world ... and likewise what is seen on local news outlets in other countries may not be seen in the US so it's always good to share a link, rather than just a sentence, in the original post. 

I know we can all go trawling through Google for the information but if someone is already reading the information and going to the trouble of sharing it on here, it doesn't take much more effort just to C&P the link, as you did. :)

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

12 hours ago, Tortuga said:

What motivated the ARC to act?

Money?

Political pressure?

A sense of justice?

Did it really accomplish anything?  Were there mass arrests and incarcerations?  Has the abuse declined?  Was legislation passed and enforced that has made Australia safe in regards molestation? 

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

Did it really accomplish anything?  Were there mass arrests and incarcerations?  Has the abuse declined?  Was legislation passed and enforced that has made Australia safe in regards molestation? 

You said the only thing that would move the US to act would be a financial impact. I was asking an honest question about what moved the ARC to act. I didn't ask about the results...

Vatican in ‘shame and sorrow’ over abuses in Pennsylvania

By FRANCES D’EMILIO

1 hour ago

https://apnews.com/aac95dd5574440c38baf947d8e0ad2f8

VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican expressed “shame and sorrow” Thursday over a scathing Pennsylvania grand jury report about clergy who raped and molested children in six dioceses in that state, calling the abuse “criminally and morally reprehensible” and saying Pope Francis wants to eradicate “this tragic horror.”
In a written statement using uncharacteristically strong language for the Holy See even in matters like the long-running abuse scandals staining the U.S. church, Vatican spokesman Greg Burke sought to assure victims that “the pope is on their side.”

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have an idea about how this could be eradicated. Hope it happens soon! 

While scanning headlines, I made the mistake of clicking on one that seemed like it would be okay to read. The details. The vile details of what was done to some of these kids left me disgusted beyond belief and sickened to the core. Now I can't get it out of my head.. Just a heads up for those who are actively following this story. 

Time to stop following the news again. 😣

Because of how Jehovah's Witnesses have been treated in the media regarding sexual abuse, I tend to take reports like this with a grain of salt. However, what differences I'm seeing here between allegations against the Watchtower vs the Catholic Church is that the abusers are the Priests themselves, and the Scope of the problem. Is there any other reasons why i should believe that this is not just being inflated by the media? What are some of the main differences?

14 minutes ago, 1MKnight said:

Because of how Jehovah's Witnesses have been treated in the media regarding sexual abuse, I tend to take reports like this with a grain of salt. However, what differences I'm seeing here between allegations against the Watchtower vs the Catholic Church is that the abusers are the Priests themselves, and the Scope of the problem. Is there any other reasons why i should believe that this is not just being inflated by the media? What are some of the main differences?

One of the reasons is this came from a Grand Jury Report.

Of all the things! It’s so hard to even think about. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 2 weeks later...