JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's with all the tattoo's...?!

I don’t know if it is just me or whatever, but I cannot believe how many women have tattoo’s these days!  And I am not talking about just one on their upper arm – I am talking full sleeves down their arms!  For one, these things are not cheap to get.  And also, what are these things going to look like in 5 years?  15 years? :?

I suppose they feel the need to make a statement or whatever.  Even ones where I would have thought would require the utmost professionalism: banking, legal, etc.  Sign of the times I guess.

(td)

Various forms of self expression and individualism also seem to increase as the world becomes more crowded. It seems that people feel lost in the crowd and feel the need to make a statement even if no one hear it...

Tattoos make them look different, just like everyone else...:eek: 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

37 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Various forms of self expression and individualism also seem to increase as the world becomes more crowded. It seems that people feel lost in the crowd and feel the need to make a statement even if no one hear it...

Tattoos make them look different, just like everyone else...:eek: 

Love it: "Tattoos make them look different, just like everyone else"  :lol:

1 hour ago, Cheeks said:

suppose they feel the need to make a statement or whatever.  Even ones where I would have thought would require the utmost professionalism: banking, legal, etc.  Sign of the times I guess.

I can’t help but think that this tattoing obsession is a direct assault, by Satan, mocking Jehovah’s sovereignty by influencing Jehovah’s creation to disfigure themselves.  I heard a radio interview not long ago, where a Physcologist said the tattoing trend is a Body Dysmorphia Syndrome, which is the idea that their bodies are not acceptable as is, causing the individual to “cover over” what they find not to be acceptable.  

Satan’s media makes all this tattoing look “normal”. When really it is a mental condition as well a a spiritual problem. 

It vol2

TATTOO

A permanent mark or design on the skin made by cutting the skin to produce scars or by inserting coloring matter under the skin. The Israelites were forbidden to engage in this practice, one that was common among some other ancient peoples. (Le 19:28) For example, there were times when the Egyptians tattooed the names or symbols of their deities on their breast or arms. By complying with Jehovah’s law not to disfigure their bodies, the Israelites would have stood out as different from other nations. (De 14:1, 2) The prohibition would also have impressed upon them a proper respect for the human body as God’s creation, to be used in honoring him.—Ps 100:3; 139:13-16; Ro 12:1.

What’s interesting about this, “art work on skin”, is the reason they fade. They fade because your liver recognizes that ink as toxic, and, slow but sure, does what it can to negate it. 

And, if your immune system is majorly compromised, it can be a huge health problem. 

So, not only an eyesore, but, potentially, a health hazard. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

21 minutes ago, booboo said:

I can’t help but think that this tattoing obsession is a direct assault, by Satan, mocking Jehovah’s sovereignty by influencing Jehovah’s creation to disfigure themselves.  I heard a radio interview not long ago, where a Physcologist said the tattoing trend is a Body Dysmorphia Syndrome, which is the idea that their bodies are not acceptable as is, causing the individual to “cover over” what they find not to be acceptable.  

That's very interesting.  So it's another way to change or cover Jehovah's creation. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A couple years ago, in a survey on what men and women find "attractive" and "unattractive" about members of the opposite sex - tattoos were in the TOP 5 of the unattractive list for both, men and women

I have seen some who tattoo their  hands to the extent that they look like they always have "dirty hands" - there are some of the Celebrity Chefs who look that way!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 minutes ago, Qapla said:

A couple years ago, in a survey on what men and women find "attractive" and "unattractive" about members of the opposite sex - tattoos were in the TOP 5 of the unattractive list for both, men and women

I have seen some who tattoo their  hands to the extent that they look like they always have "dirty hands" - there are some of the Celebrity Chefs who look that way!

I've seen some that instead of a wedding ring they get tattoos on their wedding ring finger.  I guess if they ever get divorced they could say it was just ink from a pen exploding LOL!

2 hours ago, Cheeks said:

I've seen some that instead of a wedding ring they get tattoos on their wedding ring finger.  I guess if they ever get divorced they could say it was just ink from a pen exploding LOL!

Just a note - the tattoo wedding ring need not be a bad thing though - for many their jobs make it even dangerous to be wearing a wedding ring.

I have not been able to wear my wedding ring for more years than I was able to wear it   :eek:   my wife has the same situation :yes: 

That said, neither of us needs a wedding ring to remember that we are married :nope:

And ..... any who know us also do not need for us to be wearing our rings to know we are married 🙂

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, NW2018 said:

Just a note - the tattoo wedding ring need not be a bad thing though - for many their jobs make it even dangerous to be wearing a wedding ring.

Wearing a ring is not practical when working around farm machinery.  Found that out the hard way.  Nearly had my ring finger ripped off.  Haven't worn any rings for over 45 and a half years.  Will be married 46 years in December.^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

19 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Wearing a ring is not practical when working around farm machinery.  Found that out the hard way.  Nearly had my ring finger ripped off.  Haven't worn any rings for over 45 and a half years.  Will be married 46 years in December.^_^

Likewise - no rings - mind you - no tattoos either - rings went on and off not much later after nearly loosing a finger - neither one of us have worn a ring since - 40 years later.

ALTHOUGH … Hubby had visited a hall a few times while away for work and a sweet lady of 120 (:heart:) mentioned to him that there were several available sisters - telling him that she noted he was not wearing a ring.  He was flattered.  And myself - I too looked for my ring when I first started attending and on my own when I realized I could be seen as misrepresenting myself - the ring is back in the jewelry box :)

3 hours ago, NW2018 said:

My job was like that. One time I was wearing it and had a fair sized piece of molten  metal stick to it....that hurt, and took a while to heal.

The reason I don't wear my ring now is because I have lost a lot of muscle from my hands and my fingers are not as big around as they used to be. My ring is size 13 (maybe 14) and it is too loose for me to wear because I worry about losing it. I've never had it fall off but I worry.

There was an experience related to me, the details are lost in my head somewhere, someone I knew slipped as they were exiting their RV.

As they grabbed for the door frame the ring got caught on the frame/latch as their feet went out from under them.

This was long before I ever heard the term 'deglove' but that is what happened. 

10 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

My job was like that. One time I was wearing it and had a fair sized piece of molten  metal stick to it....that hurt, and took a while to heal.

The reason I don't wear my ring now is because I have lost a lot of muscle from my hands and my fingers are not as big around as they used to be. My ring is size 13 (maybe 14) and it is too loose for me to wear because I worry about losing it. I've never had it fall off but I worry.

There was an experience related to me, the details are lost in my head somewhere, someone I knew slipped as they were exiting their RV.

As they grabbed for the door frame the ring got caught on the frame/latch as their feet went out from under them.

This was long before I ever heard the term 'deglove' but that is what happened. 

OUCH!!!

On 8/16/2018 at 11:03 AM, booboo said:

Satan’s media makes all this tattoing look “normal”. When really it is a mental condition as well a a spiritual problem. 

It vol2

TATTOO

A permanent mark or design on the skin made by cutting the skin to produce scars or by inserting coloring matter under the skin. The Israelites were forbidden to engage in this practice, one that was common among some other ancient peoples. (Le 19:28) For example, there were times when the Egyptians tattooed the names or symbols of their deities on their breast or arms. By complying with Jehovah’s law not to disfigure their bodies, the Israelites would have stood out as different from other nations. (De 14:1, 2) The prohibition would also have impressed upon them a proper respect for the human body as God’s creation, to be used in honoring him.—Ps 100:3; 139:13-16; Ro 12:1.

There are many reasons people have gotten tattoos. Some are  cultural practice which denotes family or tribal affiliations ( the Maori, the Picts, some of the African peoples, some Native Americans). Some families now get tattoos as a form of generational family practice ( especially in military families in the US) . But you are correct to note a mental health and spiritual component. Often a persons pain can be clearly seen in their tattoo choices( not always) . I read this surge as less about a direct attack by Satan than as a response to despair BEcause of World conditions under Satan’s control. People who grieve need Jehovah. 

On 8/16/2018 at 6:40 AM, Cheeks said:

And I am not talking about just one on their upper arm – I am talking full sleeves down their arm

On 8/16/2018 at 6:48 AM, Tortuga said:

It seems that people feel lost in the crowd and feel the need to make a statement even if no one hear it...

My daughter Michelle has a full sleeve on one arm.

She believes that the body is a blank canvas, to be modified or colored in as one wants to do so.

(I follow her on Instagram and there are videos,  I don't know how to extract just one picture)

I have to say, some of the artwork that I have seen is pretty impressive,  both the detail and the effort involved in getting the work done.

One of my favorite questions that one of our circuit brothers loves to ask is “ What are You going to do?”  I for one see two things of concern : Some of the friends have an interest in getting tattoos. And Some of the friends are harboring a little shade of prejudice in relation to those who have tattoos ( and other things about themselves which have become alien to them).  In the first instance friends , do the research. Pray and think. 2. In the second instance : pray even harder our personal tastes , sense of style , and comfort zone should not become a reason that someone else will be stumbled or prevented from receiving the love and healing that Jehovah’s Organization provides. 

Edited by BenJepthah

15 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

My daughter Michelle has a full sleeve on one arm.

She believes that the body is a blank canvas, to be modified or colored in as one wants to do so.

(I follow her on Instagram and there are videos,  I don't know how to extract just one picture)

I have to say, some of the artwork that I have seen is pretty impressive,  both the detail and the effort involved in getting the work done.

To me, it's little more than body graffiti, and like most graffiti, an eyesore that can be viewed as desecrating the body.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

40 minutes ago, minister159 said:

To me, it's little more than body graffiti, and like most graffiti, an eyesore that can be viewed as desecrating the body.

I understand that viewpoint,  and I don't disagree. 

I enjoy professionalism,  if someone is very good at what they do, and their work is high quality,  I can appreciate it for just that.. 

The guy, artist? that did Michelles tatoos is world renowned and his peers speak highly of him. He is very good and does very good work.

Would I have him put something on me?   No....

Can I appreciate work he's done on my daughter? Yes..

50 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

I enjoy professionalism,  if someone is very good at what they do, and their work is high quality,  I can appreciate it for just that.. 

That's a slippery slope sometimes isn't it...