JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's with all the tattoo's...?!

There are tattoos, then there are tattoos. Ones of a medical nature are one thing. Whatever the case is.

“Artwork” is another thing. I don’t think that is what Jehovah intended for His creation. 

Sort of strange. It’s a bit controversial. I think that my expertise extends to what I do with my body. Others will do as they may. And that is their business. 

There was a big hullabaloo in our family. When a granddaughter turned 18, off she marched to, um, a tattoo drawing person. It’s a “memorial” to two dead young ladies. Inside here arm. Very close to our family. The dead ones.

The son, not in the truth, out came the Bible, condemning tattoos. And, he was serious. Lots of hurt feelings over this matter. Natch, they came to me. ‘Twasnt my business. No one came to me and asked my opinion. 

Tattoes are a big thing now, for some unknown reason. And, one of the brothers I’m waiting to greet back in the new system had a Marine Corps tattoo on his inner arm. It was sort of endearing. He came into the truth, and, that was the end of the matter. His widow is a very dear friend of mine. 

We see ones, (somehow, I notice them on sisters) with tattoos, and they are dear. The tattoos are a history of their time in the world.(some histories are more evident then others, [unseen]) 

They are here with us. 

There was a sister who is inactive. She had a beautiful daughter. Physically. Yes, she is sweet, and still loves us, but she has some tattoo on one shoulder. Roses, or something. But, that young lady needed no, “enhancement” of any sort! A bit sad. 

And, I don’t know if there are sisters who have done it, but, there comes a time for some when eyebrows are a pain. A friend of mine has none, and has to, “put them on daily”. She’s said she’s given thought to having them, um, inked in. 

None of my business, and, if she did have it done, none of us would notice, i sincerely hope. 

As I said, there are tattoos, then,there are tattoos. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I'm not  a fan of tattoos either, but have to agree with Tim, about the talent of some of them.

Take these drawings below:

Amazing artist ... he's on youtube under Marcello Berenghi (sounds like someone from Star Trek).

He's also a tattoo artist - has done amazing diamond necklaces that look real on people and much more. There's not denying his talent, but Jehovah's talent trumps that beautiful art and should be left as is. The last two are tattoos he has done. 

images (1).jpg

Vodka.jpg

Glassjug.jpg

bee.jpg

images.jpg

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Just today I saw a tattoo of an EKG strip. It was a real aruyhmia . The girl who had it had come through the emotionally traumatizing and Arythmia inducing divorce of her parents. She got that tattoo to remind herself that she had and could survive bad things in her life. 

Edited by BenJepthah

Spelling

I think some of the artwork is impressive, but we must adopt Jehovah's view all of the time. (Le 19:28)

I think the medical reason is something that one would have to weigh as a conscience decision. There is certainly good reasoning behind protecting oneself. I don't know what I would do if I was faced with that. So I won't even pretend to be judgemental of my brother or sister who decides this one way or another.

In Southern California, as you can imagine, you can see anything. I was amazed within the past couple of years, I saw a old woman, she even had a walker that had new tattoos. Full arm sleeves, and it was apparent they had been applied recently. She looked conservative otherwise. It was very shocking to me. I can't even imagine what she had thought, or was she pressured into doing that. The most out of character thing I have ever seen.

I agree, I think it is Satan's work. Not only because he knows how Jehovah feels about it, but also maybe to disgrace Jehovah's creation. Also, the rebellion aspect of it. If someone does this before knowing Jehovah, it obviously is different than done while knowing Jehovah.

Several years ago, I was talking to my cousin, and asking him, as an elder what the guidance is from the Faithful and Discreet Slave is on tattooing. He told me that the elders will not take any action, but obviously could hinder one from having privileges.

I do not like them at all. There have been times when from a distance, I will see what appears to be a beautiful woman. Then when I approach closer to see she has tattoos, it is makes me feel she has ruined her beauty.

Edited by Gary910

Grammatical edit

• 2 weeks later...

There is a sweet sister in my neighboring congregation - she approached the witnessing cart about 3 years ago. Her story is pretty amazing - she's been through all sorts before she came into the truth. Long story short: She is tattooed from her chin down (literally - entire neck, chest, arms, legs - and they are very colorful). So she wears a lot of scarfs and long sleeves in the scorching sun (not that we have much of that here in the UK but still...). Her ex-boyfriend is a tattoo-artist.

She witnesses a lot informally and many who are very much into tattoos actually are happy to talk because of her appearance. They are curious why a witness would have tattoos (and so many!) and want to know why she became a witness. Despite her attempt to cover them up they are still quite obvious. She has mixed feeling about this as she feels that people are quite superficial for only wanting to talk because of her appearance but she realizes that they are imperfect, worldly people and sees it as an opportunity to give a witness and tells them why she regrets having them done. She was able to start a lot of studies - a lot of them would have never spoken to one of our "boring" un-tattooed brothers....lol

Unfortunately some youngsters in the truth admire her tattoos and go on about how they would get one if they weren't witnesses so she tells them that it's is good that they still listen to the advice not to get one but that their admiration for her tattoos is misplaced - and then goes on to tell them how much she regrets having them done.

I was actually quite surprised to see YPA articles about tattoos (and plastic surgery) - is this something that existing brothers and sisters need to be counselled on?