JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How do you keep from getting sunburned in service?

You can choose more than one answer.  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How do you keep from getting sunburned in service?

• Hat
    • Sunscreen
    • Umbrella
    • Long sleeves
    • I don't worry about getting burnt
    • Stand in shade
    • Other

We have a saying here because the sun is very intense in New Zealand - Slip Slop and Slap - slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat.

I also eat foods/fruits like tamarilloes that contain a natural resistance to sunburn.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Without protection, you will fry in our hot summer sun.  Most brothers and sisters wear sunscreen - not just in service, but in any outdoor activity from sport to work.  Some sisters use an umbrella, some use a hat.  Umbrella works better for me because I HATE hat-hair.  We also get ferocious Easterly winds that come swooping down from over the hills from the desert every morning until about 10.30 - hot and around 35k/h.  So, umbrellas are marginally better than hats.

48 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Live in Sweden...

Yeah, I was curious how people in different locations and with different shades of skin handle the sun. So do people generally not burn in Sweden? 

My Mexican husband doesn't worry about the sun, but his neck has been getting as dark brown as his hair from the sun; the dermatologist told him he needs to be wearing sunscreen, too, to protect against skin cancer.

Yeah, I was curious how people in different locations and with different shades of skin handle the sun. So do people generally not burn in Sweden? 

My Mexican husband doesn't worry about the sun, but his neck has been getting as dark brown as his hair from the sun; the dermatologist told him he needs to be wearing sunscreen, too, to protect against skin cancer.

Joking aside, yes they do. Getting burned has very little to do with heat, but more with sun exposure. How quickly you are affected depends on the composition of your skin. And, yes, people with darker skin might need sunscreen too.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

52 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Dark skin is no protection.  I burn in the Australian sun - too fierce.  In Europe, I don't burn as much, even if the temps are hot.  The hole in the Ozone layer is hovering over Australia and NZ, and we are very diligent on slip, slop, slap as Mandi mentioned above.

That's true, but it helps a lot. I live in Europe and when we had real summer here (30 degrees), many got sunburnt, but I dealt with it fine. No doubts I would struggle in Australia because the heat there is extreme. Also depends on what environment you're from.

I wear sunscreen every single day - winter and summer.  Even the darkest African skin only provides a natural SPF of 8... and any skin can be damaged by the sun, even if a burn is not apparent.

I'm naturally tan skinned, thanks to being biracial,  but my mother is very Irish-y in skin tone. Two colors; white & red - never tans.  She was raised in Miami, FL, however, back when such damage was not taken seriously.  She'd oil up on the beach burn up every summer.... 'til now, she's constantly fighting melanoma.  :(  She's had bit cut off her neck, nose, forehead, chest, cheek...  It's not pretty.

I'm not in nearly such danger but cancer in the family is cancer in the family.  I'm never in full on sun for longer than 15-20 minutes and I do wear sunscreen (SPF 20) every day.

It gets hot where we are in Florida, On the job, if you work outside protection is a good idea. I use a wide brimmed hat and keep my shirt on.

Now, when it comes to Service - we don't have much a worry about getting sunburned - we are not out in the sun that much. The majority of our territory is rural ... or, as we call it, car territory. We drive from house-to-house and are not out in the sun that long from car to door to get burned. In the small amount of walking territories we have, most are heavily shaded.

Now, when it comes to keeping dry    :eek:  that is another question :eek:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I keep from getting sunburned out in service by living between two of the Great Lakes.  Either too cold to bare any skin, or too cloudy to allow even the burning rays to get through to you. ^_^

If that stops working for me, there's always evening witnessing.😁

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Hat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I wear Hat (Tilley's), long sleeves and an under shirt in 115 degrees in the summer.... I think my tie in this weather gives me sunburn, too...oh to only not wear a tie then my sunburn worries would fade....

here is a good sun cover for service.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153089126136

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

i'd wear this in service if I could.. Hey! it's hands free..

here is a good sun cover for service.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153089126136

I wear sunscreen every single day - winter and summer.  Even the darkest African skin only provides a natural SPF of 8... and any skin can be damaged by the sun, even if a burn is not apparent.

I'm naturally tan skinned, thanks to being biracial,  but my mother is very Irish-y in skin tone. Two colors; white & red - never tans.  She was raised in Miami, FL, however, back when such damage was not taken seriously.  She'd oil up on the beach burn up every summer.... 'til now, she's constantly fighting melanoma.    She's had bit cut off her neck, nose, forehead, chest, cheek...  It's not pretty.

I'm not in nearly such danger but cancer in the family is cancer in the family.  I'm never in full on sun for longer than 15-20 minutes and I do wear sunscreen (SPF 20) every day.
i am so sorry to here your mom is suffering so. send her our love.

I’m dark skinned so I’ve never been sunburned in my entire life. I’m also bald and don’t wear hats, but have never had my scalp burned.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

12 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

Have you been to the beach in Carlsbad, California in the summer, with 70 degree weather? That sun does not discriminate! emoji6.png

Lol 70 degree weather is nothing. I’m from Texas. It gets much hotter here. I used to own my own landscaping business and I’ve worked for two different car detailing companies, so I’ve spent many years in the sun for over 8 hours a day without wearing a hat or long sleeves. Never been sun burned. I’ve never heard of anyone with my compexion being sun burned. I’m not saying it can’t happen. Just never heard of it.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.