JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Who applied for Special/International conventions this year?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1905 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This is our “wish list.”

- Athens, Greece (July 2019)

- Berlin, Germany (June 2019)

- Melbourne, Australia (November 2019)

- Paris, France (August 2019)

- Copenhagen, Denmark (July 2019)

- Utrecht, Netherlands (August 2019)

- Warsaw, Poland (August 2019)

My husband was in the service for 26 years. We were stationed in Germany for 7 years and for one in Italy. Neither of us was in the truth then. (He is in the service now....as a MS. 😜) Anyway, we would love to go back and see and experience Europe through theocratic eyes this time. What a privilege that would be!

6 hours ago, Krusso said:

Our first choice was Greece.. and it seems that a lot of people applied to Greece... oh well ... it will be awesome even if we end up in a different place ..

That is how we feel about it.  Any opportunity to attend will be a blessing.

Yes, waiting is so hard!

We made Paris our first choice because it's only a 2-hour flight (cheap, too) to Rome, which we'd LOVE to see after the 7 days in the convention city.  You know that Coliseum is going down at Armageddon!  We really want to meet the brothers working the mobile displays around there!

On 10/16/2018 at 12:17 AM, LRJW said:

Good thing is that we've never been to an international convention before, and I heard priority is given to ones who are applying for the first time. . . .

I hope so. Cause I got selected several times even though I had attended a convention before, as opposed to first-timers who were not.

3 minutes ago, blueyellow said:

I hope so. Cause I got selected several times even though I had attended a convention before, as opposed to first-timers who were not.

So are you saying the number of times applied doesn't matter? Does group size make a difference? When you've gone before when did  you know you were accepted?

On 10/15/2018 at 2:17 PM, LRJW said:

Good thing is that we've never been to an international convention before, and I heard priority is given to ones who are applying for the first time. . . .

Oooh, you heard this??  Maybe there is hope for me!  I've applied to three special/international conventions in the past (including this year) and haven't been selected.  I'm hoping this year will be different!  :) 

16 hours ago, Sylv said:

LOL, it looks like Utrecht is not a popular choice :) I hope that improves my chance :D 

I hope you do get selected for Utrecht, who knows its possible to meet

last evening I got an email from one of our elders that I'm selected for Atlanta together with my cousin so looking forward to that😊

1 minute ago, MCTDonna said:

I hope you do get selected for Utrecht, who knows its possible to meet

last evening I got an email from one of our elders that I'm selected for Atlanta together with my cousin so looking forward to that😊

Ooooh, you found out already? I'm so happy for you!

36 minutes ago, MCTDonna said:

I posted on Oct 4th:

these are the first conventions......all who applied for Atlanta should know first....:ecstatic:

Atlanta   17th May

Miami Spanish 24th May
Mexico  7th June
Berlin, Germany 14th June
Ecuador 14th June
Lisbon, Portugal 28th June
Miami English 5th July
Athens, Greece 5th July

so they started now with those who applied for the first Convention......great........hope that we don't need to wait much longer...

14 hours ago, Hope said:

Oooh, you heard this??  Maybe there is hope for me!  I've applied to three special/international conventions in the past (including this year) and haven't been selected.  I'm hoping this year will be different!  :) 

This is what I heard from a brother who still has connections at Bethel.  But can't say I've read it in print or anything like that.  So grain of salt still needed.  We still haven't heard anything.  But I'm right there with you, sister!  Keep praying to Jehovah about it!

Last week I had a dream that we had been selected to go to the International Convention.  I woke up from the dream, with a huge smile on my face.  Then it gradually dawned on me that it had been a dream.  I literally thought, "Wait, that doesn't mean I wasn't dreaming a memory! Maybe it's true?"  And then the next second, "No, it's not true.  We're still waiting." 

And I was crushed.  

:cry:

:lol1:

8 hours ago, Samira said:

I posted on Oct 4th:

these are the first conventions......all who applied for Atlanta should know first....:ecstatic:

Atlanta   17th May

Miami Spanish 24th May
Mexico  7th June
Ecuador 14th June
Miami English 5th July
Athens, Greece 5th July

so they started now with those who applied for the first Convention......great........hope that we don't need to wait much longer...

Indeed, I heard today of 2 applications for Atlanta have received their choice.

I heard (not fact yet) that by November many will have heard about their applications.

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

On 10/19/2018 at 11:25 AM, Samira said:

I posted on Oct 4th:

Atlanta   17th May

Miami Spanish 24th May
Mexico  7th June
Ecuador 14th June
Miami English 5th July
Athens, Greece 5th July

Nice to see the list in date order, so this looks like the compete list so far...

July 19th is the mid-point.

Atlanta, Georgia May 17

Miami Spanish May 24

Mexico  7th June

Ecuador 14th June

Miami English 5th July

Athens, Greece 5th July

Brazil, July 12

Houston, Texas (English) July 12 

Toronto, Canada, July 19, (Tentative)

Copenhagen, Denmark, July 19

Madrid, Spain, July 19

Netherlands, August 2

Paris, France, August 2

Phoenix, Arizona August 9

Poland, August 9

St. Louis, Missouri, August 16

Houston, Texas (Spanish) August 23

South Africa, September 6

South Korea, September 13

Manilla, Philippines, November 1

Melbourne, Australia November 22

Argentina, December 13 (Tentative)

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

One small side note

the local friends in areas hosting special conventions

(both Miami and Atlanta fri nds)

have been having meetings and getting surveys in their schedule

i.e. How much time they can dedicate to helping prepare and work with the visitors

On 10/19/2018 at 3:54 AM, GriffTiff said:

So are you saying the number of times applied doesn't matter? Does group size make a difference? When you've gone before when did  you know you were accepted?

I don't know the criteria.

But I would prefer for the first-timers to be selected.

I found out in December.

If you are selected, do you also get an email notification?  Or is it strictly through the secretary?  Our secretary is a WONDERFUL brother, but sometimes forgets to inform things from time to time.  Just wondering if I need to gently remind him at some point. . .

2 hours ago, LRJW said:

If you are selected, do you also get an email notification?  Or is it strictly through the secretary?  Our secretary is a WONDERFUL brother, but sometimes forgets to inform things from time to time.  Just wondering if I need to gently remind him at some point. . .

Yes I believe you will get an email notification. I have heard that all successful applicants should expect to be notified by the end of November. 😁 

It seems there is a schedule for releasing the notifications in date order, I understand for example: June/July Conventions you should hear by Mid-November, and for August and later Conventions you will hear by End-November, something like that. So not long to wait now.  

55 minutes ago, Chris7 said:

Yes I believe you will get an email notification. I have heard that all successful applicants should expect to be notified by the end of November. 😁 

It seems there is a schedule for releasing the notifications in date order, I understand for example: June/July Conventions you should hear by Mid-November, and for August and later Conventions you will hear by End-November, something like that. So not long to wait now.  

Come on November!!!! 

6 hours ago, Chris7 said:

We close on the sale of our home later this week.  We are not making a ton of money, but the proceeds would facilitate a wonderful trip!  November can't come soon enough!   🙏