JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Keto, IF and OMAD...

3 hours ago, Myew said:

ears twitch* Did someone say Keto...? I have been summoned! 🐈 Manic Writing State Induced

I was literally looking at this thread wondering where you were.  If I ever see 130 lbs again in my lifetime, I would not IF either. 😂 My body fights tooth and nail to hold on to these fat cells. I have accepted that this is going to always be a fight until the day comes where we are all naturally healthy. 

SKD, TKD, or CKD...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Standard Keto Diet
Targeted Keto Diet
Cyclical Keto Diet

For you that want to strength train/exercise on Keto... here is a good, but not only, resource:

https://ketogains.com/welcome-to-ketogains

1 hour ago, Saffron said:

I was literally looking at this thread wondering where you were.  If I ever see 130 lbs again in my lifetime, I would not IF either. 😂 My body fights tooth and nail to hold on to these fat cells. I have accepted that this is going to always be a fight until the day comes where we are all naturally healthy. 

Ironically enough, I've been avoiding the forums for a bit as it gets too stressful for me to keep up with or write with obsessive compulsions. That's part of why it's better that I avoid intermittent fasting until absolutely necessary and warn people who might have other health implications. If you have or are prone to chronically elevated cortisol and blood sugar dysregulation due to chronic adrenal fatigue, sleep disorders, infections, etc, then intermittent fasting can contribute to the cortisol issue which will hinder you from shedding belly fat or raising insulin sensitivity. Being in a chronically revved up metabolic state not only burns through your nutrition on neurotransmitters and hormones quickly but also inhibits digestion, meaning that you need to eat more quantity or higher quality (organ meats, liver) along with supplements to help break down the food in order to get an adequate amount of micronutrients.

Learning how to cope with these frail bodies can be such a pain right now, for sure... but I find it so amazing at times how researching and coming to understand this biology and applying it on the individual level has improved my relationship with and trust in Jehovah. Even in a sinful and fundamentally broken state our bodies have an unbelievably amazing ability to adapt and heal, and we have even been given the mental ability to biohack our own bodies for optimal performance... it's the most metaphysical experience that I know of. What other God except Jehovah would be so gracious with us sinners? We need courage to keep on fighting, even against our own flesh, so that we can give our best service to Jehovah as a sacrifice of praise.

(Psalm 139:14) I praise you because in an awe-inspiring way I am wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, I know this very well.
(2 Corinthians 3:17) Now Jehovah is the Spirit, and where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom.
(Galatians 5:1) For such freedom Christ set us free. Therefore, stand firm, and do not let yourselves be confined again in a yoke of slavery.

16 minutes ago, Myew said:

Even in a sinful and fundamentally broken state our bodies have an unbelievably amazing ability to adapt and heal, and we have even been given the mental ability to biohack our own bodies for optimal performance...

I too think that's marvellous.  :thumbsup:

How right down to the last dregs of this system we are still able to function with much of our abilities is a testament to our wonderful Creator. 

9 hours ago, Myew said:

you have or are prone to chronically elevated cortisol and blood sugar dysregulation due to chronic adrenal fatigue, sleep disorders, infections, etc, then intermittent fasting can contribute to the cortisol issue which will hinder you from shedding belly fat or raising insulin sensitivity.

And this absolutely would be the case with me. Sigh. Cortisol. I can not seem to get it under control. My health problems are so much better, but this stubborn belly fat will not go. 

I see so many people start keto and not only feel better, but lose all kinds of weight pretty easily. It's hard not to feel a little envious. For the effort that I put into this way of eating, I should be thin. 

I have lost somewhere around 35 lbs.  Marjority of that was the first 3 months.  It has not been difficult at all!  I researched all I could find, watched the Magic Pill on Netflix, and keep up with all the excellent videos on you tube. I find th FB support groups to be a tremendous way of support.    I still eat a carb loaded diet occasionally but I have never gained any weight back.  I IF, OMAD, and have fasted 1 x only for an extended fast of 36 hrs.  What I love is with such a variety of information I can correct myself WHEN I consciously choose to do something not in the keto WOE.  I no longer have have the mentality of ‘oops, I’ll start again tomorrow or will restart on Monday!’  No wonder I never was good at traditional diets with that attitude.  Monday was always a week away.    I start AT THAT TIME.  With my 12 hr noc work schedule it sometimes gets dicey over times I choose to eat but still, I eat when I am hungry.  If that means eating at 0730 after getting off at 0700, so be it.  I am able to go home and sleep well after that.  Sometimes I get up and eat when I get to work, making for no IF window so to speak of.  I know there is always the possibility of regaining weight but I truly feel at this point that I am in control.  NEVER experienced that feeling at all.

i still wonder about fruit.  It seems they all should be good for you.  But I am learning to rethink my options and choices.  I guess an occasional banana is good for you.  But berries are a better choice.  I look at recipes and try to think how I could make them LC or KETO friendly.  Sometimes they work, others times I scratch my head and wonder.  

But I am able to wear my size 6 skirts and 8 zipper dresses that I have held on to for years.  Yes, I finally did it....and I FEEL so much better!  

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody has problem with bowel movement during the diet?

I haven't make it for few days... default_no_no_shaking_head.gif

I'm not a doctor disclaimer .. However YMMV... (your mileage may vary)!

Increase your water intake, your green veggie intake and increase your sodium intake (pink Himalayan se salt), magnesium and potassium (avocado )

Key electrolytes: Sodium, magnesium, potassium on Keto.

In addition, a couple of days a week I may add super greens powder to my morning elixir.

This site may be helpful... A plethora of other keto-friendly sites are out there.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects#constipation

@ivy Knowing when and how much to hydrate is important as well. Try to drink at least 10 minutes before meals or an hour after meals. This will help prevent you from diluting your stomach acid and pH level, which is very important to start the process of breaking down food without it fermenting inside of you. A little during meals is okay, but it's best to avoid it if possible. The rule of thumb over here is to aim for at least half of your body weight (in pounds) as ounces of water. A liter is about 35 ounces. For me, 125lbs -> 62.5 ounces... about 7 cups, or 4 bottles of water. If your urine becomes very clear, then you might even be overhydrating and peeing out excessive amounts of electrolytes that need to added back in.

I use Real Salt, along with occasional potassium and magnesium citrate supplementation if I'm having any constipation. The bulk of my fiber and electrolytes are from avocado, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and leafy greens. I might try psyllium, and I think I need to start on probiotics again along with some enzymes and bile. My biggest issues seem to be the dysbiosis in my gut bacteria and a slow gall bladder and liver from growing up on a refined grain/sugar low fat diet with a lot of medicines that messed up my liver. At least my gall bladder isn't hurting and I'm not bloating anymore when I eat a bunch of fat, but lately sometimes I have been getting queasy, belching, hiatal hernias and GERD...

There's a pretty good synopsis here: https://robbwolf.com/2018/05/02/keto-constipation-why-it-happens-what-to-do/

Edited by Myew

In the mean time, if you need something quick, due to discomfort and can’t wait to get in a good routine, drink a bottle of Magnesium citrate.  It is suppose to taste like a carnonated beverage if you drink the fruit punch red one, but it does not.  Don’t plan on going anywhere afterwards! Just drink it down fast over ice and in a short time you will hate me! 

LeslieDean

Anybody has problem with bowel movement during the diet?

I haven't make it for few days... :nope:
Also you can ease into consumption of coconut and /or mct oil... A teaspoon a day. If one consumes too much too soon you will get disaster pants ! That is uncontrollable gastric distress... I know!

https://fixyourgut.com/diarrhea-from-mct-oil-why-disaster-pants-arent-as-cute-as-they-sound/

Funny. Not funny.  Not funny when it is you.  But funny when you are in the all clear.  Going for a colonoscopy and EGD Wednesday so clear liquid diet starting tomorrow and Tuesday and will do the ‘Golytely’ prep and mag citrate starting Tuesday evening.  No MWM for me this week! 

LeslieDean

I researched all the info on the sites you guys have so kindly provided links to, and I watched about 3 dozen YouTube videos.

I collected a great deal of keto recipes along the way, too.  Studied macros and micros and good carbs and bad carbs and

the importance of staying hydrated and keeping electrolytes balanced.

Once I was pretty confident that I knew what I was doing, I launched into a ketogenic lifestyle.

That was one week ago to the day.  I am fifteen pounds lighter already, my gastric problems have all but disappeared,

my energy level is waaaaaaaaaay up, and my mind is so incredibly clear, my comments at today's meeting

actually came out the way that I intended them to. :D

I was on Atkins for a year or two back in the 80's, but it was too expensive for our food budget back then.

Now that we no longer have to feed 5 German Shepherds, 3 house cats, 350 head of dairy cattle and 5 horses,

I have the money to shop keto.

I have come to the conclusion that I was insulin intolerant.  I believe 95% of my health woes were caused by being

insulin intolerant.  I could not tolerate raw vegetables before being in ketosis.  Now, I can eat them with no stomach

upset whatsoever.

I cannot wait to lose more weight.  Once I get stabilized in my ketosis, I plan to try IF, too.

I just watched a video that said the less fat in your keto diet, the more of your own fat you will burn up and off.

So I plan to try that.

I actually feel that this thread was an answer to a prayer.  I was sick of being sick and it was taking over six months

to get help from the medical field. (I asked for help with my weight back in May and I couldn't get an appointment

with a nutritionist until the middle of next month.:unsure:)

To paraphrase a verse from last month's original broadcast song, "So I'll carry on...with my sails unfurled

like a merchant on a quest."

Thanks, my fellow keto-ers!!!

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I’m happy for you Ross. 

After seeing her post  I checked out this Keto thing.

Welp, first thing I saw was....no milk.That wouldn’t happen here. ☹️☹️☹️ I practically live on milk.

Yes, I definitely could drink more water, eat more veggies things like that. 

But I am NO cook.   Living alone doesn’t help either.

Most recipes have ingredients either I never heard of or don’t like. 

Just sitting here trying to think of more excuses. 😂😂😂😂😂    I mean I am a junk food junky. ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Not like I have no weight to lose. But that’s  another story. 😁😁😁😁😁😁

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

I’m happy for you Ross. 

After seeing her post  I checked out this Keto thing.

Welp, first thing I saw was....no milk.That wouldn’t happen here. I practically live on milk.

Most recipes have ingredients either I never heard of or don’t like. 

Just sitting here trying to think of more excuses.     I mean I am a junk food junky.

Not like I have no weight to lose. But that’s  another story.

IIFYM... Can you get a Crockpot?

Congratulations on your amazing results @Friends just call me Ross! That's great!!! This is why I love this diet. I never rapidly lost weight like many people do, but feel as good as I can get on this diet. More energy, increased mental clarity, decreased inflammation, so less arthritic pain. I can tell when there are hidden carbs in something, because I will have a reaction. You probably will get to that point too if you stick with this long enough. 

17 hours ago, Loopy said:

practically live on milk.

I use almond, cashew milk, or watered down heavy cream in place of milk. And you don't have to be too much of a cook for this way of eating. Eggs for breakfast, hamburgers without buns for dinner. I grab rotisserie chickens from the store and make salads out of them, freezing the bones to make chicken stock for soup (bone broth is extremely healthy). I take lettuce leaves and make sandwiches or tacos ect. A crock pot is perfect for turning cheap cuts of meat into something delicious, but my favorite new toy is an instant pot, which is an electric pressure cooker. It is now possible to get slow cooker results in a fraction of the time. Plus pressure cooking eggs makes the shells all but fall right off. Overall, it's not hard. It's only a challenge when I walk near a bakery or see a pot of steaming rice. 😂

On 10/21/2018 at 7:55 PM, Loopy said:

Welp, first thing I saw was....no milk.That wouldn’t happen here. ☹️☹️☹️ I practically live on milk.

It took me about 3 years after having switched to local raw grade A milk to give it up, I was still addicted to the gluten free oatmeal and smoothies for breakfast and hadn't been on a strict autoimmune protocol. I had been telling myself for years that I needed easy to make quick carbs in the morning since I was an ectomorph and always woke up needing food immediately. I was very hangry with unstable blood glucose, mood, energy. Yet once I understood how the biology works and was determined to give protein and fat for breakfast an honest try.. it simply worked and all of the intense cravings and pain caused by too many carbs went away over time. The better you feel, the more encouraged you will be to make even more progress. Try small changes first and see how you feel. The biggest thing for me with quitting milk was I had much less congestion and allergies. Ghee is a good alternative for the clarified fat of the milk. One fact that helps me remember why Keto can be so beneficial is that all breastfed babies enter into a state of mild Ketosis, they can even get ketones through the placenta in pregnancy.

@Friends just call me Ross Those are some amazing results! 👍 If you ever notice any health issues crop up that might require some diet tweaking, don't ignore them and just ask if anyone else has had similar symptoms. There are plenty of experienced people with resources on hand.

@Saffron Instant Pots are the best, I've got some lamb breast, celery, carrots, and kale to chop up and throw in mine and can't wait. :eat: I haven't been eating much stew or broth lately as I overdid it a few too many times, I find it difficult to balance my macros unless I'm always eating the same things.. but that can cause some complications with a messed up microbiome too. I'm trying to cycle more carbs back in regularly to mediate acute stress, depression and the winter season, so far so good. I'm even eating some 100% chocolate again!

7 minutes ago, Myew said:

Instant Pots are the best, I've got some lamb breast, celery, carrots, and kale to chop up and throw in mine and can't wait. :eat: I haven't been eating much stew or broth lately as I overdid it a few too many times, I find it difficult to balance my macros unless I'm always eating the same things.. but that can cause some complications with a messed up microbiome too. I'm trying to cycle more carbs back in regularly to mediate acute stress, depression and the winter season, so far so good. I'm even eating some 100% chocolate again!

Sounds great! Unfortunately I've been under so much stress that I have lost my appetite, so I haven't had a chance to play with the instant pot as much as I would like to. When I was eating more, I made some good soup in there (cauliflower leek) and also lamb curry. Normally the lamb is a bit labor intensive, but not with this pot. It turned out delicious and tender. 

While we are on the topic of food, I ran across a show that Gordon Ramsay has on Amazon Prime that is amazing. It's called Ultimate Cooking Course and there are a lot of very clean or easily adaptable recipes there that look so good. Different stuff that most people wouldn't normally think of. I think you could probably find this on YouTube as well.. Don't know about everyone else, but I tend to eat the same things all the time and get bored. Looking forward to trying some of his recipes to mix it up a bit later on when I feel better. As an aside, he uses colorful language in some of his other shows, but not this one. 😁

47 minutes ago, Myew said:

@Friends just call me Ross Those are some amazing results! 👍 If you ever notice any health issues crop up that might require some diet tweaking, don't ignore them and just ask if anyone else has had similar symptoms. There are plenty of experienced people with resources on hand.

I nearly fell off the bathroom scale when I saw how much I had already lost.  I didn't even think I was in ketosis yet.

From what I'd read, I thought it takes a few weeks for your body to transition from glucose to ketone fuel.

I am guessing that a lot of that weight might have been water retention and other garbage in my body.

I am not sure if I have/had the keto flu, because I have never had it before.  My muscles are sometimes achy, though.

I have noticed that my body takes all day to feel hungry, so I might as well go OMAD.^_^

I am having a hard time eating enough protein.  Does it hurt to eat low fat protein like chicken and tuna?

I fried up some white albacore tuna in butter and bacon grease, hoping to add some fat to it.  Is adding fat

the same as the protein coming with its own fat?  Thanks in advance. ❤️

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

O you gotta watch your “nut” milks. I was using Almond milk for a while till I heard there wasn’t much almonds in there.

https://ketosizeme.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Ultimate-Keto-Grocery-List.pdf

This list just might help me out.

I noticed on the list it does say: Full fat/Full cream Milk. 

I do  realize it does not mean processed milk. But the closest I can come is whole milk. Yummy. ☺️☺️☺️☺️ 

Edited by Loopy

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I thought it takes a few weeks for your body to transition from glucose to ketone fuel. I am guessing that a lot of that weight might have been water retention and other garbage in my body.

I am not sure if I have/had the keto flu, because I have never had it before.  My muscles are sometimes achy, though.

I have noticed that my body takes all day to feel hungry, so I might as well go OMAD.^_^

I am having a hard time eating enough protein.  Does it hurt to eat low fat protein like chicken and tuna?

I fried up some white albacore tuna in butter and bacon grease, hoping to add some fat to it.  Is adding fat

the same as the protein coming with its own fat?  Thanks in advance. ❤️

It does take about 3 to 4 weeks for your body to rebuild all of the framework for efficient ketone production and usage, but that doesn't mean that you're not necessarily able to metabolize it well. Often the problem is that the body overproduces them at first, and becomes more efficient by reducing ketone production down to just what you need later on. This is why ketone pee strips only work early on, because when you stop producing a lot of unnecessary ketones, they don't get expelled along with the urine.

Eating carbs does cause you to retain more water for digestion and burning up fat cells can cause you to shed water as well, so that's definitely a possibility.

It sounds like you've done your research very well and already took good care of yourself nutritionally, it's entirely possible to not get the 'flu' or pains if you're not electrolyte deficient. Just make sure you keep eating enough of the right types of foods for sodium, potassium and magnesium.

I've never been the type who doesn't feel hungry all day, but I can go much longer than I used to. However, I was underweight when I went Keto rather than overweight, so I've only gained weight and had none on me to burn. Just don't deny yourself if the day comes when you do become hungry again after your body tells you 'Okay, I've lost enough weight and I'm comfortable now, feed me more.' You don't need to be strict about it if it's making you feel hungry or ill. Your body will let you know sooner or later.

Low fat protein is fine as long as you're still eating enough fat, the majority of your energy should be from fat to kickstart the burning of the fat you have stored in your body. It's especially preferred to eat meat with the fat on it if it's grass fed or fresh fish due to higher quality micronutrients (fat soluble vitamins), but Ketosis will still be going on regardless of the type of fat you eat if your macronutrients (carb, protein, fat) are in a good ratio for your body. 

Since bread is off limits for Keto, I found this recipe.

Microwave Bread in a Mug

https://ketorecipesforbeginners.com/ggs-keto-90-second-microwave-bread-in-a-mug/

INGREDIENTS

Directions

1. Get out a big coffee mug, (nothing ginormous, just a good sized mug)
  2. Combine all the ingredients and whisk vigorously until well blended.  I usually do this in a small mixing bowl and then spatula it into my mug, but you can mix it right in the mug if you can stir it without issues.
  3. Now after the batter is in the mug, smack the mug on the counter a couple of times to get all the bubbles out.
  4. Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
  5. When done, take out and turn upside down on cutting board and the hot bread should just fall out.
  6. Cut into slices after slightly cooled.  It yields 4 to 5 slices depending on thickness.  Each about the size of a slice of bread without the crust.

O, would anyone know if coconut flour would work? 

Remember.....I’m no cook. 😁😁😁😁😁

Edited by Loopy

8 hours ago, Loopy said:

Since bread is off limits for Keto, I found this recipe.

Microwave Bread in a Mug

https://ketorecipesforbeginners.com/ggs-keto-90-second-microwave-bread-in-a-mug/

INGREDIENTS

Directions

1. Get out a big coffee mug, (nothing ginormous, just a good sized mug)
  2. Combine all the ingredients and whisk vigorously until well blended.  I usually do this in a small mixing bowl and then spatula it into my mug, but you can mix it right in the mug if you can stir it without issues.
  3. Now after the batter is in the mug, smack the mug on the counter a couple of times to get all the bubbles out.
  4. Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
  5. When done, take out and turn upside down on cutting board and the hot bread should just fall out.
  6. Cut into slices after slightly cooled.  It yields 4 to 5 slices depending on thickness.  Each about the size of a slice of bread without the crust.
  8. O, would anyone know if coconut flour would work?Remember.....I’m no cook. 

I had all the ingredients, and I had ninety seconds, so I made some.   After it came out of the microwave, I sliced it in two and put it in the toaster.

Then, I put some white cheddar on it and made a sandwich.

Screenshot_2018-10-24-22-09-58.jpg.cc7c1c91054c890522fe883fb6c71ce6.jpg

I think I'll try a tuna melt next time.

Thanks for the recipe.