JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Keto, IF and OMAD...

I love it. You tried it. Thanks for letting us know. 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

So it was good, huh. 

Is that that almond flour you used? 

Not eating bread is no problem for me. I’m not really a bread eater anyway. But I bet this is good warm with butter. Yummy.

Anxious to try it now.

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

11 hours ago, Loopy said:

I love it. You tried it. Thanks for letting us know. 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

So it was good, huh. 

Is that that almond flour you used? 

Not eating bread is no problem for me. I’m not really a bread eater anyway. But I bet this is good warm with butter. Yummy.

Anxious to try it now.

Good is a relative term when it comes to keto food.  I think of it more as good for me, than good tasting.  I found it rather tasteless.  But the texture was good.

Maybe in a few more months I will find it "delish".^_^

Yes, I used almond flour, aluminum free baking powder, one egg and real butter, exactly as called for in the recipe.

Next time, I may try adding some flaxseed meal and Coconut flour to the almond flour, for a little flavor enhancement.😀

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I went to make another keto bread this morning and realized I hadn't used almond flour.  I had used flaxseed meal.😱

I bought my fine almond flour in bulk and it just had a numbered tag on it.  So, what I thought was course almond flour was flaxseed meal.  

Here is what fine almond flour keto bread really looks like:

Screenshot_2018-10-25-15-25-05.jpg.009511b32c49cea2de7ef84d3ccccc59.jpg

It still is rather tasteless, even when you use the RIGHT flour. LOL

I used course almond flour and this was the result:

Screenshot_2018-10-25-15-25-33.thumb.jpg.45a1c797bba8a68be1084ac4f3d36ce2.jpg

This one has the best texture.

Then, I mixed flaxseed meal, coconut flour and almond flour altogether and this is the result:

Screenshot_2018-10-25-15-25-54.jpg.61088c4c04f39697134d7b1a49114201.jpg

This one has the most flavor.

Guess that mental clarity comes and goes.^_^

From now on, I am going to label my bulk purchases with a name, right along with the numbers.😁

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I always have flaxseed on hand as I use a tablespoon every morning in my protein drink. I can just grind some up and add it to the mug with a little coconut flour which I also have on hand and never used. 

Maybe be a little bit of chia seeds to ground up. Mmmmmm. 😋😋😋😋😋😋

I always put a 1/4 cup of oatmeal in the protein drink, but not doing that anymore. Promised my “adopted m9m and dad a big pkg of it that I haven’t opened yet.

I didn’t know what these macro thingies were so I did some research to find out. Found a calculator site. And found my macros. 😳😳😳😳😳

Boy, research can be confusing.

I found a wonderful list that was called “Keto Ultimate List” Has fruit, veggies, dairy, meats, cheeses, poultry, seafood, dressings and acceptable milks.

On this list, bananas, oranges, apples are acceptable.

On the ruled.me website it says to stay away from fruits in order to enter and maintain Ketosis.

Naturally I am just starting this and don5 plan on being dogmatic about it, but you guys that have been doing this for a while what gives?

just curious 

I've known about KETO since the whole 40-30-30 eating plan in the mid-90's. I lost 45 pounds in 3 months for my daughters' wedding. Able to keep it off until a few years later life turned upside down on me and I gained it all back.

In April of 2017 I discovered l I was severely allergic to nightshade's, it also included kiwi, strawberries, grapes and oranges. So my available fruits and veggies are limited. 

Since August I've been doing strict KETO, only compromising when in extreme need. I do IF 18/6 a lot of the time and sometimes 20/4, both without much problems. In between if I get hungry I take Dr. Axe complete green which I put into capsules and Bullet Proof MCT oil, also in capsules. It gives me nutrients as well as fat without food. I also have gone caffeine free as of 4 months ago. I only drink Newman's decaf fortified with a tsp of Cafix because I like my coffee strong. I don't add sugar either, been sugar free for 4 months too, just cream. Not drinking tea right now because I'm not too fond of stevia and I can't drink non-sweet tea.  

I have favorite things to eat like bone broth with meat then I pan sear mushrooms and onion, add green beans a few peas and right before serving add thin sliced cabbage and a spoon of horseradish sauce. I use horseradish because I can't have red pepper or cayenne anything. And boy is it GOOD! Guess what's for dinner?

I'm wearing work shirts I haven't fit into for about 6 years. Today I noticed my shirt was baggier than last week when I wore it. Some of my meeting cloths also have to go into the "too big for me" box in the closet. Even my shoes are getting a bit big.

I also agree with drinking a lot of water, supplemented with electrolytes. I do 12 drops per 8oz. glass. I drink 3 quarts. I noticed a big difference in digestion and inflammation when I do.

Someone mentioned a digestive aid. I've never had good digestion so am now on my second bottle of Ancient Nutrition Keto Digest. I've found it to give me everything I need.

**I have to mention that the digest has pepper and cayenne in it but it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe the combination of ingredients makes it different, don't know.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

So 5-6 lbs of lamb breast in an 8QT instant pot ends up making a layer of fat on top over an inch thick. 😬 Looks like a yellow pizza, gelled up nicely when chilled. I might have to try lamb more often. I cooked 1lb of kale on top for just 5 minutes and it came out unbelievably tasty and still slightly crunchy, al dente style. Refueling my glycogen stores with carrots and celery which I haven't had in a few months. I'm feeling much calmer and lucid, like I ate something I've been lacking and needing... I just have to be really careful to only eat it once a day... it's so much oil that my gall bladder is telling me to slow down or it's going to kill me and I'll be laying in a coffin with disaster pants.

Edited by Myew

My danger food is nuts... I easily go overboard... I love pecans, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and macadamias... All keto friendly but powerfully caloric dense... That's why some keto advocates recommend bypassing nuts. Be careful if you're nut lover like me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

My danger food is nuts... I easily go overboard... I love pecans, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and macadamias... All keto friendly but powerfully caloric dense... That's why some keto advocates recommend bypassing nuts. Be careful if you're nut lover like me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That’s my problem with food in general...portion control. I have none, just fill my plate. 😕😕😕😕

Edited by Loopy

I feel for you dear friends having to see my posts on this thread. 😈😈

One blessing is you don’t have to read them. LOL! Anyway....

You see, I’m working on gaining a love for fried eggs. The white really isn’t my favorite part. But!

Yummy! I have never fried eggs with bacon grease?  Woohoo! Sure makes the white part more palatable. 

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

One of the best things about eating Ketogenic is that it never fails to send the biological signal that you are full or satiated. I still tend to overeat, a bad leftover habit from always feeling hungry and eating until it hurt with what I used to eat. Sometimes I'll eat too quickly, or while focused on something else, or I snack because I'm bored or stressed or self soothing... but at least I don't overeat due to insulin, leptin and ghrelin issues anymore. When I do feel sick from eating too much, I can understand why it's my fault for not being mindful about what and why I'm eating, rather than my body telling me that for some reason I need more.

Altho I started this on Wednesday, a bad source of research on Keto type foods said fruit is acceptable. So I got some grapes and have one bag of oranges open and one unopened.

Course than I find out it’s taboo. Grrrr. So now I’ve been bad from the start but only a few days. I know I won’t burn any fat if I don’t quit right now. 

But....I’ve been off soda since Tuesday.   I’m keeping track of that on my calendar. 

35 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Altho I started this on Wednesday, a bad source of research on Keto type foods said fruit is acceptable. So I got some grapes and have one bag of oranges open and one unopened.

Course than I find out it’s taboo. Grrrr. So now I’ve been bad from the start but only a few days. I know I won’t burn any fat if I don’t quit right now. 

But....I’ve been off soda since Tuesday.   I’m keeping track of that on my calendar. 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/oranges#section1

54374456_ScreenHunter_01Oct_2714_52.gif.8417531dd02c78a69ed56dc755083669.gif

Orange carbs:

Oranges are mainly composed of carbs and water, and contain very low amounts of both protein and fat. They are also low in calories.

Simple sugars, such as glucose, fructose and sucrose, are the dominant form of carbohydrates in oranges. They are responsible for the sweet taste.

Despite their sugar content, oranges have a low glycemic index, ranging from 31 to 51 (1).

This is a measure of how quickly the sugar enters the bloodstream after a meal.

Low values on the glycemic index are associated with numerous health benefits (2).

The low glycemic index is explained by the fact that oranges are rich in polyphenols and fiber, which moderate the rise in blood sugar (3).

Orange Fiber:

Oranges are a good source of fiber. One large orange (184 g) contains around 18% of the daily recommended intake (4).

The main fibers found in oranges are pectin, cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin.

Dietary fiber has been associated with many beneficial health effects.

In general, fibers are renowned for improving the function of the digestive system and feeding the friendly bacteria that reside there (5, 6).

Fiber may also promote weight loss and lower cholesterol levels (7, 8).

Maybe, once you have been in ketosis for awhile, you could enjoy a slice or two of oranges?

You would really have to limit your other carb intake on those days, though.

If you mix those fruit carbs with a protein it cancels out a lot of the carbs. The nutrition bars I buy from Costco have 23 grams of carbs but by the time it figures in the protein I only am left with 4 grams of carbs.

I really like grapefruit and apples, some of the more exotic apples I don't like red or yellow delicious, so when I eat these things I combine protein with it and it decreases the carbs

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I wouldn't say fruit is taboo, but it depends on the type of fruit itself and your macros (how strict you need to be). A big part of learning how to get into Ketosis is understanding more about the nutrient content of your food. It's typically best to restrict fructose in general if you're starting on a Keto diet or if you're insulin resistant. Low fructose berries or tart green apples (granny smith) are better choices than most other fruits, in moderation.

21 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

If you mix those fruit carbs with a protein it cancels out a lot of the carbs.

I would have to disagree, I've never read anything to indicate that is biologically accurate. How does eating protein prevent the higher glycemic index and insulin release from carbohydrates or prevent your body from using them as the primary fuel source? What I have read is that eating proteins and fats with your carbohydrates slows down how quickly the carbs and meal are digested, processing them over a longer period of time so that your blood sugar raises and lowers more gradually so that you don't suffer chronic blood sugar / adrenal / cortisol stressors.

The reason that you can remove counting fiber from your total carbohydrates for the purpose of Ketosis is that while fiber is a carbohydrate, it is not one which our guts break down into fructose or glucose that gets sent into our blood stream to be used as energy. We need it however to slow down digestion, make stool, feed some of our microbiome, and prevent blood sugar spikes. Regardless of what type of carbohydrate or sugar is in your system, your body will attempt to use it as energy before it uses Ketones. Most people can enter a mild state of Ketosis with less than 50g of Carbohydrates per day, but if you're using it for specific health, medical or weight loss reasons you typically want to keep it somewhere between ~20g for strict or 20-30g per day for general maintenance and fitness. There are some professional athletes on the other hand who can eat 150g of carbohydrates per day but still stay in Ketosis because their muscles are actually physically burning the fuel off before the insulin comes in to shuttle it out of the arteries and turn it into fat cells. You also need to raise your insulin in order to build new or grow muscle.

Edited by Myew

I made the keto bread in a shallow stoneware bowl instead of a coffee mug.

Tonight, I am trying a hot tuna melt:

Screenshot_2018-11-05-17-24-02.thumb.jpg.1158e8f866386f0cd046ecced77c65ed.jpg

I only have white albacore tuna in water, 

So I pre-fried the tuna in butter, hoping to add some fat.  Sprinkled mozerella cheese on the top.

All that's left now, is to MELT it.^_^

Lost another five pounds, making for a twenty pound loss in less than a month.

Many of my health problems have already vanished.  

I am so grateful for this thread.💙

A sister made keto english muffins. Not to bad. Had one with egg and bacon for breakfast.

I made some fat bombs today, peanut butter pecan, 82714814_pecanbites(208x157).jpg.0a8bfc8b0978a31f59761d489c303d54.jpg

3 ingredient peanut butter cookies 2019942021_pbutter(606x1077).thumb.jpg.76a5cde29ff4e784d168a4f2443f8637.jpg

And candied pecans  1512236425_pecans(1077x606).thumb.jpg.d8f554da87a93e72e3603165ff36363a.jpg

I'm not a sweets eater and love the fact these aren't very sweet at all, appreciate that they have protein and good for when I'm out and about with my thermos of coffee.

Making https://reciperunner.com/cheesy-chicken-broccoli-stuffed-spaghetti-squash/

for dinner tomorrow night1005345721_cheesysquash(224x324).jpg.36d59d3a4c4dad0a06ceef92419921a4.jpg  

my squash is huge, over 61/2 pounds! 1911979850_spaghetti(1)(606x1077).thumb.jpg.1e92f3baaaaef96d9dd332ad1019f6c8.jpg 

1 minute ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Could you please share your keto recipe for these peanut butter cookies?:praying:

Super easy

2 cups peanut butter

1 cup erythritol

2 eggs

Mix well

Combine, make into small balls- i ended up with about 27 I think- flatten a bit with a fork and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. I kept checking so they didn't get too dark.