JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Have you ever felt the urge to

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2014 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

send a nice message to a brother or a sister, without any real reason?

Like, my sister in law is struggling lately to find a job, and she refused to pick some jobs that may prevent her to attend meeting, or some job offers, very interesting by too related to religious (false) stuff.

And she is happy because she feels she is making the right decision about these job offers. Praying a lot, etc...

Then yesterday, she received a message, unexpected, from a sister, very positive, like "keep up the good work, you are doing great". My sister in law felt as if it was Jehovah himself talking to her.

And, in a way, that's true, Jehovah may use our Friends to answer our prayer, bring comfort, etc.

So, I think, if you feel the need to send a positive message to a bro or a sis... just do it... maybe some angels are pushing :D

Have you ever had such experiences?

Edited by Dages

This is true. Sometimes, we need to allow ourselves to be used by Jehovah to encourage and even help our brothers and sisters. Yes, we are encouraged to rely on Jehovah. But remember that Jehovah also uses people. If we fail to remember others in their time of need, are we genuinely Christ's disciples who ought to identified with the quality of displaying love among ourselves?

In my country, the economic situation has affected so many brothers and sisters. Young ones especially. Its so overwhelming that two circuit visits from two different overseers were made consecutively, giving the same topic. I don't know if the same happened everywhere else.

Edited by Abby31

I have, on several occasions, told some I have not seen since we were young in the same Congregation how glad I am that they stayed in the Truth  :yes:  since we both know some of the same people who left :nope:

I have told the same thing to some who I have seen grow up - have known them since they were born - and they are now serving as Elders or Pioneers, etc.

All are appreciative of my comments in this regards.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

The Daily Text last Wednesday was all about encouraging each other.  "If you have any word of encouragement for the people, tell it" (Acts 13:15).  The last sentence quoting the WT article says: "You know how important the counsel to encourage one another is if you recall a time when words of encouragement lifted your spirits."

I'm trying to do this more and more for the brothers and sisters, especially if there is a feeling or an impulse to do so.   A kind word goes a long way, and any form of encouragement in these last days is like filling the tank to keep us going.  I've also been encouraged to meet up with ones I haven't seen since I was a teen, and they're still serving Jehovah.  So, like John, I tell them that.

3 minutes ago, Katty said:

whenever I'd actually act upon it

I know what you mean here, I have this really bad tendency of failing to follow through...

Sometimes I act like just getting the thought in my head is actually accomplishing said thought,  when in reality I really need to maintain my focus and get that job done, not just thought about. 

It's almost like the urgency of the issue is diminished by my just thinking of it. Definitely something I will need to work on...

Well said, we have a number of sisters battling  cancer and quite a few older ones and I had the urge reading the days text yesterday on 1 Pet 5:7 to send some texts so I did.  And then I phoned an older sister who is in a home.... I hope maybe some of them were encouraged.  

Edited by sunshine

On 9/21/2018 at 8:18 AM, Dages said:

send a nice message to a brother or a sister, without any real reason?

Several months ago I ran into an older brother at a doctors office, I was surprised to find out that he was in a elderly care facility. I told him that I'd visit him soon. A couple of weeks later I went by to visit and he was very glad to have a visitor. I didn't know that day was the 10th anniversary of his wife's death. It was a perfectly timed unplanned visit...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 9/21/2018 at 8:18 AM, Dages said:

Have you ever felt the urge to send a nice message to a brother or a sister, without any real reason?

Only rarely... Thus, one of my current goals is to commend someone every single day. And not the same person (my wife) over and over. But to reach out and commend a different person every day. This can be done in person, or through text. Some in my congregation have expressed that they do not feel that our congregation shows affection and commendation towards eachother enough, so I'm trying to change that by starting with myself. 

I highly encourage everyone to do the same thing, and tell others about this goal  - it may just encourage them to start trying to commend and upbuild others like you. 

I'm highly introverted, and shy, so heres a few things of what I've found works. Write cards. Put your actual feelings on them about this person and think of what you admire about them (unfortunately, sometimes that takes a while, but it goes faster if you get to know them). Send a text. if someone missed meeting or a regular day out in service, ask them if they're ok. Just tell them in person. For people I'm comfortable around, or when I know I could word it correctly, I just commend them. 

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)