JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WhatsApp with You?

So... I've read here and there that some congregations have seen a bit of success using WhatsApp amongst their service or pioneer groups.  I'm hoping to get some insights as to exactly how it works, how you're using it, how it's different from sending a group text, how it's been received in your congregations, pros & cons, whose idea was it?  I've never used it, myself.

I'm trying to see how I can help stimulate more cooperation and interchange regarding the ministry in my congregation.  We have loads of pioneers (between 25 & 28) but I just found out last night that Monday and Friday are not officially supported; if you can't go out Tues - Thursday, it won't be surprising if you're on your own at the Hall. This, at our evening witnessing that consisted of only three people. :(  I don't think it needs to be that way, but I'm hoping I can provide some solutions to my service overseer when I chat with him about this situation.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.  One young pioneer who was in my class is considering dropping out this year for the frustration at not having viable groups for service when she can go out.  There are other issues with her, too -- but this one is crunching my joy, as well.  I'm not dropping, but I want to be proactive in making this year a bit less distressing than last year.  :) 

It's like a group text except you aren't limited to how many can be in the group. so I think it's similar to using a forum or chat room to ask if someone is available to go out and then PM them to set it up.

My attempt to use WhatsApp has not been well received yet, however last night a brother posted a message in the group I had created, he asked if anyone was going out early today. I responded and we had a great morning...

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

I don’t see any advantage over regular cell phone (group sms) 

Is there a limit on how many you can have in a group?

My message app is limited to 10 people in a group. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Tortuga said:

Is there a limit on how many you can have in a group?

My message app is limited to 10 people in a group. 

We only have family heads listed for our group ..not individuals, I need to check settings on my phone to provide you with specific answer.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

14 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

We only have family heads listed for our group ..not individuals, I need to check settings on my phone to provide you with specific answer.

What do you use your list for? I'm mainly keen on the availability of pioneers for service action.

A service like WhatsApp is far superior to group SMS if you can get everyone on board. At Bethel, we used Voxer which was very similar.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

We use WhatsApp for our lit cart groups, Bro and sis confirm their lit cart times, it’s used to ask for partners where there is a gap, also to organise who is collecting/returning lit carts to KH, reminder if literature is running low and also an update at the end of the day of experiences, lit placements etc. It’s a very lively chat and has had a positive effect in bringing us all closer together and extending our ministry into the the afternoon. And it’s great that our older Bro and sis are taking part in the chat as well, we love their enthusiasm and also their sense of humour, it’s been a great leveller 😀😀

WhatsApp is very popular here. Our BoE use it, our service group, our pioneers group, our pioneer school classmates, our public witnessing group,  I have my family group, my vacation group. even my International Convention group. It is very convenient: you can send videos, messages, pictures to many with one click.

Edited by Daniela

“The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” 

WhatsApp is the no.#1 communication app being used in the Netherlands, and I think all of the about 300 congregations use it. For example in my congregation we have a group for the Public Witnessing in our territory (and everyone who's accepted is in there); each service group has their own group; a special preaching campaign had their own group; my foreign language group has a apart group etc etc.
It's fantastic, because you can ask a lot of people at the same time a question, and only the ones with a really helpful answers, reacts. So it's great

(In almost all groups we also share nice experiences and photos, as to stay "connected in heart and mind" with each other)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

Here in Italy, practically everyone uses WhatsApp! There's no limit to the length of messages you can send. You can also use bold, italic, strikethrough and extrawide text and endless smileys. You can send photos, videos (even those that are too large to send via normal email), documents, links... You can make voice calls and video calls. And if you have unlimited wi-fi (as we do), then all this is totally free!  

Personally, I use WhatsApp to stay in touch with relatives in Australia and friends in Italy, Venezuela, USA, Canada, Ghana, Spain and Slovenia. It's amazing!

On a congregation level we have two WhatsApp groups: The congregation group and each service group. The elders remind us of congregation or service group arrangements for field service, or of any changes due to weather or other circumstances. They also inform us of other congregation activies. When we have assemblies or conventions they use WhatsApp to make sure everyone has transport or accomodation. Recently, before the CO's visit, our service overseer used it to complete the appointments for field service.

Each member of the group is free to post anything of interest - experiences, photos, videos. Sometimes someone will use it to find a companion for field service. One brother visited the new World Headquarters and then shared his photos with us all. Often brothers will post photos from field service. In winter, we often share photos of how each family is snowed in!! We have a lot of fun!

I must add that our congregation is in the mountains in a sparsely populated area and we're all spread out in many little villages. The families tend to be rather isolated from each other. For example, my husband and I are the only witnesses in our village. So our use of WhatsApp actually contributes in a way to our unity. :D

Use your ears to gain understanding and your tongue to heal. -w13 5/15 p. 22

Thanks so much for all this!  I'm gathering information to present to our service overseer, who is a rather reluctant tech user (necessity only).  If I can help him help us help ourselves, he might see value in this app.

Of course, then we need buy in from the friends... and that might be tricky..

4 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

The advantages are for some pioneers here in NZ they may not be able to afford a monthly account with their phone, or down on their cash so they can use a local wifi even a free public one to 'text' people who have the whatsapp app. But with us, it's not a formal group more a few of us getting together when the need arises.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

4 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Wrong bro. 

India a very populated country( nearly) runs on what's app. 

You can share songs(mp3) 

Videos-short

Pictures

Voice messages instantly. 

Our total business runs on what s app. 

And also see who is online. 

Also you can make audio and video calls. 

Also you can create as many groups you want. 

elders group. 

Brothers group. 

Business group. 

Family group. 

Friends group. 

In each group you can add around 250 people. 

You just have to have their phone no stored on your mobile. 

And both of you should have what's app installed. 

The only WhatsApp groups that I belong to so far are the ones that I created, so I can't tell if the other group members are able to see each others phone numbers. That might be an issue for some people. 

WhatsApp is nearly 10 years old and used to be a great app.

I should add to this thread that the major gripes with WA compared to better alternatives are: 

- it's been acquired by Facebook, who have been trying to find a way to monetize it by weakening its encryption--this is according to the Co-founder of WhatsApp, who recently left company (now a subsidiary of Facebook)

- it will likely include targeted ads in the future, the same way they do on Instagram (another app fb acquired)

- Facebook recently 'harmonized' their people database so that they have a concise profile on every one of their users, even if you only use one of their services or have purposely kept your fb and ig accounts detached--you may not have linked your whatsapp to your instagram or your Facebook account, but Facebook will be doing it for you soon!

The entire sound departments at our double KH each has their own Telegram group.  Besides the fact that Telegram has no ads and promised it never will, it has also set itself up as a registered non-profit with the creator vowing to never never sell itself to any other corporation or organization, with the promise that it will never try to profile its users nor monetize them

instead, it has up until now been financially supported by the mathematician genius who started it after becoming disenfranchised with how his first company (VKontakte) turned out