JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Our Indonesian brothers

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2004 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Sister Ivy has family there.  Hoping for the best and praying that our brothers and sisters have not been badly injured or lost lives.  Houses can be rebuilt.  

Unfortunately, the death toll continues to rise.  These are "Great Earthquake" times - Luke 21:11.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/death-toll-from-indonesia-s-quake-tsunami-surpasses-800

Yeah... I live in the west of Indonesia, while it happened near to the east... I dunno any brothers there in personal, but I attended meeting once while visiting my uncle (non jw)...

Communication is quite hard since the earthquake, a lot of signal towers, roads, and bridges were destroyed, plus mountain slide or erosion, I even read news stated that aid or help is hard to delivered because people cannot reach the place by cars, I guess they are doing with plane or ship then?

Thanks to Jehovah, my cousin send me a chat message this morning which means he is still okay I hope... 

:bouncing:

2 hours ago, ivy said:

Yeah... I live in the west of Indonesia, while it happened near to the east... I dunno any brothers there in personal, but I attended meeting once while visiting my uncle (non jw)...

Communication is quite hard since the earthquake, a lot of signal towers, roads, and bridges were destroyed, plus mountain slide or erosion, I even read news stated that aid or help is hard to delivered because people cannot reach the place by cars, I guess they are doing with plane or ship then?

Thanks to Jehovah, my cousin send me a chat message this morning which means he is still okay I hope... 

Keep us informed sis and our prayers are with you all with love.

Thanks brothers and sisters for your concerns. Looking at jw.org, there is 1 congregation and 1 group in the capital city of the province where the earthquake occured. 

I live in Jakarta - some 2,000 kms away from the epicenter. Got messages from a few Japanese brothers asking about my condition. 

After natural disaster, I am worried about human disaster.

My cousin's girlfriend posted a status in her social media saying about post disaster like this: the moment you realise people is scarier than nature. They pick others' stuff, checking others' houses with fierces eyes ready to hunt...

I've just come to see she posted it this morning, but hasn't replied my message asking further information, seems the service provider hasn't worked properly yet... Heard that it come and go...

Less than an hour later, twin natural disasters — a 7.5 magnitude earthquake and a tsunami that unleashed an 18-foot wave — turned parts of Palu and the surrounding strip of coastline into a graveyard. As of Sunday evening, national disaster mitigation officials said that at least 832 people had been confirmed killed.

:praying:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

According to CNN the death toll is now in excess of 1200. As the numbers climb higher there is more likely some of our brothers will be among the affected families. Of course, this depends on whether there was any Kingdom activity in the area.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

41 minutes ago, Old said:

According to CNN the death toll is now in excess of 1200. As the numbers climb higher there is more likely some of our brothers will be among the affected families. Of course, this depends on whether there was any Kingdom activity in the area.

Wow...that's horrible. 

We are taught to love our neighbor. If there are any Witnesses in the area I pray they are all okay and I know that they will be consoling the other survivers while needing help themselves. That's kinda how we roll.....

Every time a country is hit by hurricane, tornado's typhoons (like another one headed for Japan ) earthquakes, the sea withdrawing (tsunami),  I worry cause we are found in every corner of this planet.   Like all of you, we pray that our brothers and sisters' survived the tragic events .  Kingdom Halls and homes may be lost, but not the lives of our brothers.  We will know in a few weeks on JW.ORG news release what the count is for our brothers.  All we can do is pray and send monies through the worldwide work to assist every one worldwide.   I head that a warning was issued but then recalled.  Sorry, if I feel another earthquake like the one I felt in the 70's in California, and a warning goes out, am headed for hi ground.   Particularly is am near the front of the ocean.   But then there were those on high ground and the earthquake moved the ground like jello and hundreds more were wiped out, homes, streets, bridges and so on.  Goodness, this reminds me of the earthquake that was felt in 10 countries back in 2004.  Over 200,000 killed in that one day alone.   Our love and prayers are for all of you dear ones, Jehovah will give you strength beyond what is normal.  His blessing be upon all of you and us! 

5 hours ago, GrumpysWife said:

@ivy have you had any news?

Maybe...

One affected brother shared an update, two screen shots and a picture were shared around jws here... But, I'm hesitated to share it since I'm not the owner and I dunno the brother in personal... However, It looked valid, the update said that all members of palu cong is safe, evacuation arrangement has been made, and he shared this information to ease others who may be worried about them... They still held a meeting by using what was available, spiritual food and brotherhood strengthen them, and in the moment, food supply is adequate, rescue aid has been made. He also asked us who are not affected to pray for them, that Jehovah may always take care of them in good health and safe...

The picture showed they were having meeting outdoor with few seats, so some were standing, but a lot just sitting by the stone around...

This is just a story from Palu Cong, I hope those in other ares are also in good condition...

THANKS so mucb Ivy... I totally understand your worried about sharing the info. But Im sure we will all await news on Jw.org. But if that brother is correct, thats awesome to know.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/02/asia/indonesia-palu-tsunami-earthquake-intl/index.html    

Death toll rises sharply as desperation grows

Workers digging mass graves the size of football pitches after tsunami - and it's only getting worse

......the number of people killed in the disaster had risen to 1,234 on Tuesday.

The toll is expected to climb in the coming days as bodies continue to be retrieved from the rubble.