JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Michael reaches hurricane strength as it heads for landfall along U.S. Gulf Coast

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2011 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Be safe...

Hurricane Michael formed Monday morning in the Caribbean Sea and is heading for a landfall as a major hurricane with 120-mph winds along the Gulf Coast by midweek

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/10/08/hurricane-michael-forms-heads-landfall-u-s-gulf-coast/1564798002/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Our family and most in the congregation are going to be evacuating today. Although it's only a category 2 storm right now, our governor has declared a state of emergency for those in our part of the state, as we are going to be hit directly. We'd rather be safe than sorry. Please keep us in your prayers. Jehovah's blessings to everyone!

Our family is not in the predicted direct path.

However, they are cautioning that we could receive tropical storm winds and vast amounts of rain. We do not live in a flood prone area but, we could lose power :(

Our COBE sent out an email yesterday encouraging all to make preparations and be mindful of having our go bags incase the storm decides to head our way.

:thumbsup:: For those in the panhandle, please, heed the warnings! :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Hurricane Michael strengthens to Category 4 storm, considered 'extremely dangerous'

Hurricane Michael was upgraded early Wednesday to “an extremely dangerous” Category 4 storm and could be the most powerful storm to hit the Florida Panhandle in 100 years, forecasters said.

The storm’s sustained winds have increased to about 140 mph, with higher gusts, the National Hurricane Centersaid. The agency said it is possible the storm could strengthen further before it makes landfall Wednesday afternoon.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/hurricane-michael-strengthens-to-category-4-storm-considered-extremely-dangerous

0a3370d5-100d-48b8-9f2d-a94a6c07541c.gif

NPR radio reported this morning that it is the first time in recorded history that the Panhandle of Florida has taken a direct hurricane hit.:(

Praying all our family members survive Micheal as they all survived William.💙

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

We are getting some rain bands from the storm but, since we are to the side of it and inland, we are not expected to get the type of damage the panhandle will get.

Our meeting for tonight was cancelled as a precaution.

Currently writing this from a hotel room safe from my city. The storm is now a Category 4 and I'm honestly so happy that our congregation recommended and made arrangements for us to evacuate. I have no news regarding the state of my home but the devastation being shown on the news is insane. The roofs of building are nearly under water and parked cars are being carried away.

Many of the homes are destroyed but I honestly feel incredibly blessed right now, more so than I've ever felt. Just having the privilege of knowing Jehovah puts things in such a calm and comforting perspective. Nothing we own is worth more than our lives. Living a simplified life means everything we have is replaceable. As long as we put Jehovah first, he will always provide. His love and holy spirit is drowning, overwhelming! Thank you Jehovah! I am so grateful to even speak His name!!

Looks like we escaped this one. We were under a tornado warnings until a few minutes ago. We have been getting rain of-and-on all day long but it has not been heavy. We have not had any power outages.

Being southeast of the impact area and inland has been a real help this time - of course last year, not so good.

I feel for those in the panhandle impact area. We have some friends in Tallahassee and some in Wakulla County. I have yet to hear how they have fared.

Looks like we escaped this one. We were under a tornado warnings until a few minutes ago. We have been getting rain of-and-on all day long but it has not been heavy. We have not had any power outages.

Being southeast of the impact area and inland has been a real help this time - of course last year, not so good.

I feel for those in the panhandle impact area. We have some friends in Tallahassee and some in Wakulla County. I have yet to hear how they have fared.
Prayers from the international brotherhood

The cleanup now starts for Florida - there was some severe damage - and some "odd" damage

Michael is continuing to cause problems. Last night it trekked across Georgia still a hurricane - something i bit unusual because storms usually do not stay hurricanes that far inland. Now it is headed for the Carolinas ... where they do not need any more rain :nope:

Edited by Qapla

NBC News tonight said the death toll was 13 and it is expected to keep rising.:(

The news also said that 95% of the city of Mexico Beach has been wiped out.  

It was ground zero for the hurricane. :unsure:

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

To think, all Jesus said was, “Hush, be quiet!” And the wind died down and the waters calmed down. 

Mark 4:39 “With that he got up and rebuked the wind and said to the sea: “Hush! Be quiet!” And the wind abated, and a great calm set in.”

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

We have received some Disaster Relief Surveys to check our availability to help and what skills we have (through the LDC and after our Disaster Relief Safety Training)

Will see what comes next.

I did hear from a Brother between the strike zone and Tallahassee - they had minimal damage and power restored. They will be able to have their meeting tomorrow :thumbsup:

TV News tonight said that hundreds are still missing.  Hope it's because they moved out of harm's way

and they just can't contact their friends and families with their whereabouts. :unsure:

The lack of phone service in some of the affected areas is evidently making it difficult to find out where people are and if they are safe. We know the brothers will be doing the best they can to work through their groups and eventually get information to the CO who will report to the branch. But no doubt lack of phone service is a challenge.  

11 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

TV News tonight said that hundreds are still missing.  Hope it's because they moved out of harm's way

and they just can't contact their friends and families with their whereabouts. :unsure:

I think that's what it is ...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

My friends who live in Panama City are all ok just still shaken. The Kingdom Halls are all good but the churches in that area have all sustained major damage, at least according to those I've spoken to. We live 40 miles north of the beach and there's been quite a bit of damage to homes where we live. Even some of my friends have lost their homes or lots of damage. This is really terrible.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.