JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Car talk...

I just discovered something about my Chrysler 300, if the fob battery dies I can still start the car with the push button start. Apparently there is a RF chip in the fob and you can use the plastic end of the fob to push the Start button. 

I took the battery out of the fob this morning and was able to still unlock the car with the key and start it with the dead fob.

Good to know in case the battery unexpectedly fails...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have a keyless car. There’s been talk about ones being able to pick up the signal, and drive it off. (Put your keys in a tin can, etc.) 

I try to lock the door, manually, and I bought one of those key fob protectors that are supposed to prevent the signal from being stolen.

As I have not seen any first hand evidence of such...however, I did buy a thing that is supposed to cut the chances down of my going into a store, and coming out, and no car. 

The whole thing sort of has me disconcerted. It’s like driving a computer. And, I have had computers give me fits! And I’m addle minded enough to look at that steering wheel, and it’s do-dads, and shudder a bit. GPS and I are not the best of friends, nevermind I have yet to figure out cruise control. It’s all a learning curve, and I’m Way behind. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

2 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

have a keyless car

If the fob battery unexpectedly fails, try using the plastic end of the fob to push the Start button. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I drive a 2007 Nissan Titan. If I leave the key in the ignition and am not sitting in the driver's seat - the door won't lock :nope:

My key is chipped but not a FOB. I have a hidden key that will unlock the door but it will not start the motor. :eek:  

Now, if I do try to use that door-only key to start the truck, as far as I understand, not only will it not work - but, it will make it so my truck will not start, even with the right key, for about 45 minutes :confused: but it is not supposed to need factory reprogramming like some cars :shrugs: of course, I have never tried that :nope:

Now, as for that hidden key - well, it is not in one of those magnetic boxes you stick somewhere - that holds a different key :)  I put a key to my truck toolbox in the magnetic box and hid the truck key in the toolbox :D except that I didn't. I never got around to hiding the toolbox key so I keep that in my wallet :upsidedown:

BTW - my daughter's 2018 Hyundai does the same thing as Richard's Chrysler

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Just got a 2015 F150 super crew medium box.

Only got 1 key fob. It is a folding metal key in the fob.

It does allow me to start the engine for pre-warm up with key outside of truck.

4th from top model - lots of bells & whistles, but

no GPS - no 360 camera- that was part of SYNC 3, mine is only 2.

Does have Sirius radio, Blu-tooth, etc.

And 3 setting Heated Seats, which we tested out today. 😎

01.jpg

10.jpg

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I used to work at autozone, and when I did, I worked really hard in learning as much as I could about car parts and troubleshooing; it served me well.

I'm looking at different cars by now, but, because I'm poor, it won't be for something close to new, so I have to be resourceful and looking at less popular models, looking at mileage vs year, and asking for a report on the car's history. I might be able to purchase a Maxima from a friend if the other buyer ends up backing out, which is nice, because it was a pretty nice car. Otherwise, I'm going to search carefully, because when your budget is low, lemons about.

Something rich people will never have to deal with.

6 minutes ago, Katty said:

Venting again?

1 hour ago, Katty said:

I used to work at autozone, and when I did, I worked really hard in learning as much as I could about car parts and troubleshooing; it served me well.

I'm looking at different cars by now, but, because I'm poor, it won't be for something close to new, so I have to be resourceful and looking at less popular models, looking at mileage vs year, and asking for a report on the car's history. I might be able to purchase a Maxima from a friend if the other buyer ends up backing out, which is nice, because it was a pretty nice car. Otherwise, I'm going to search carefully, because when your budget is low, lemons about.

Maxima is a good car. V6 engine, good fuel efficiency and Japanese cars tend to last very long, it's user friendly. Of course, depending on what year model it is, if it's a new car, you will most likely have to deal with an electrical problem if anything goes wrong. Very easy to diagnose with a diagnostic tool you can get cheap on Ebay and find out what issue(s) you might have.

Since you're buying it off of a friend, it's more trustworthy and safer. Hope you at least get to test drive it.

Edited by Dertzey

On 10/11/2018 at 5:17 PM, Qapla said:

My key is chipped but not a FOB. I have a hidden key that will unlock the door but it will not start the moto

Our '04 Ford Escape is that way. To get a second chipped key it's  $140.00 bux...

I leave the chip key in the car, it's tethered to one of those coil spring leashes, I stick it on the steering wheel height adjuster. None of this is visible from outside the car.

Wife and I both carry the dumb key, hers is on her keyring that has the fob, I don't have a fob, I like small key rings, I have 4 keys on mine. I also have a dumb key hiding underneath the car....

Our dumb keys do everything but start the engine, I almost scared myself when I was out of town and my car wouldn't start,  it took me a minute or so to realize I was using the wrong key😧

On 10/18/2018 at 6:16 AM, Dertzey said:

Maxima is a good car. V6 engine, good fuel efficiency and Japanese cars tend to last very long, it's user friendly. Of course, depending on what year model it is, if it's a new car, you will most likely have to deal with an electrical problem if anything goes wrong. Very easy to diagnose with a diagnostic tool you can get cheap on Ebay and find out what issue(s) you might have.

Since you're buying it off of a friend, it's more trustworthy and safer. Hope you at least get to test drive it.

I haven't heard from them yet, so it's possible that the other potential buyer ended up not backing out. Oh well. I'm gonna start seriously looking in November. I agree. Maxima is a pretty good model. I've been looking at a lot of discontinued models, too, that I always thought were cool, like the Buick Rendezvous, the Saturn Vue, and the PT Cruiser.