JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tuesday, October 23 By faith Moses, when grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter.​—Heb. 11:24.

Tuesday, October 23

By faith Moses, when grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter.—Heb. 11:24.

Moses turned his back on the treasures of Egypt, “choosing to be mistreated with the people of God rather than to have the temporary enjoyment of sin.” (Heb. 11:25, 26) May we imitate the faith of loyal ancient ones, such as Moses, by treasuring our gift of free will and using it to do God’s will. While it might seem easier to have someone else make decisions for us, doing so would rob us of one of the great blessings of free will. That blessing is revealed at Deuteronomy 30:19, 20. Verse 19 describes the choice that God gave to the Israelites. In verse 20 we learn that Jehovah gave them the precious opportunity to show him what was in their hearts. We too can choose to worship Jehovah. We could have no greater motive than to use God’s gift of free will to express our love for him and to bring him honor and glory! w17.01 2:10, 11

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

This scripture really draws up a lot of questions for me. It says” ‘by faith’ Moses, when grown up”—-does this mean that since his fleshly mother raised him knowing Jehovah since his infancy that it was in his heart already to CHOOSE to follow this course of life?  

I have one son who has always enjoyed the ‘finer things of life’.  His personality is outgoing-he has never met a stranger. From the time of his being a very small child he has had friends who have had money. He was ad avid reader and is extremely intelligent book wise.  He has also made poor decisions because he has let having good times control his course in life.  I’m very worried that since he did not know Jehovah since he was a senior in high school when I started to study, that he will not have an opportunity do so.  He claims to be an atheist.  He shuts me down or gets up and leaves the room if I even casually mention anything that pertains to Jehovah.  The guilt of this ways heavy on my mind.  It is easy to tell others that ‘you can’t help it’, ‘you yourself did not know Jehovah then’, ‘’how can you teach something you didn’t know’, but when it is yourself for some reason these things bring me no comfort.  I love my son.  But I know if he was not mine he would be someone I would not care to be around. His self centeredness is very unapelling and hurtful to my daughterinlaw.  I have in fact told her so.  I am sorry he is this way.  How can his other brother be very generous.  They were both raised the same way. Anyway this scripture points out the difference in the attitudes I see in people.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

My dear friend,

The Bible makes a definite distinction between the heart and the mind. Jesus did so when saying we must love Jehovah with our “whole heart” as well as with our “whole mind.” (Matt. 22:37) What we are at heart determines in large measure what we are as to personality. In this regard the apostle Peter speaks of “the secret person of the heart in the incorruptible apparel of the quiet and mild spirit, which is of great value in the eyes of God.”—1 Pet. 3:4.

What your son has become is not your fault. Even if he was not raised knowing Jehovah and living by His standards, he is an adult, now making choices. You are a good person and you tried to raise him to be like you. Jehovah saw you and He called to you, and you listened. We can't make our children listen if they choose not to. I too have regrets, but we can't beat ourselves up over them.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.