JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum
hatcheckgirl

The Apostrophe - get rid of it?

"Misused apostrophes on signs "weren't setting a good example for society"", said a Bristol-based sign defacer.  I am not a grammar nazi, but have we come to the point where we don't actually need an apostrophe in English?  (Hasn't the world got anything more important to sort out than apostrophes?)

"It neatly demonstrates how intertwined notions of standard English and morality have become. More telling, in my view, was his later remark: that correcting apostrophes makes him "feel good"".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-30/lets-get-rid-of-the-apostrophe/10433990

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

"Misused apostrophes on signs "weren't setting a good example for society"", said a Bristol-based sign defacer.  I am not a grammar nazi, but have we come to the point where we don't actually need an apostrophe in English?  (Hasn't the world got anything more important to sort out than apostrophes?)

"It neatly demonstrates how intertwined notions of standard English and morality have become. More telling, in my view, was his later remark: that correcting apostrophes makes him "feel good"".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-30/lets-get-rid-of-the-apostrophe/10433990

Emojis on mobile (cell) phone took over ..welcom' to 2018! LOL

People *could* just learn how to use punctuation marks appropriately, rather than get rid of them.  Don't they teach this in school anymore?  I clearly recall such lessons being very important in my grammar school ("grammar" not just a coincidence).

9 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

And most letters in the alphabet. I mean, does anyone ever use all of them?

Well,  the Hawaiian language only uses half as many letters as the English language does, they seem to have done ok...

n we cud get rid of righting things theway they shud be written 2. U know what i mean.

Oh, I have a difficult time with that. I remember reading the older publications that stressed learning proper grammar. I can't say I learned it in secular school, maybe partially. I think I learned my grammar, spelling and punctuation from the TMS and reading the publications.