JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Koreans want to become JW's

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1986 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Sheep?  Maybe a couple? From some of the comments, it'll certainly sort out the sheep from the goats?  :whistling:When the majority find out how to 'join' I suspect there may be a cooling off.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/11/205_258119.html?fbclid=IwAR3EwxHoR0gWlTuqMU5-rUHidbZiHwDgOI35Wfe414YPT-sDKn_iuohODW4

The Supreme Court's ruling on conscientious objection to military service last week is bringing an "unexpected" side effect ― a growing interest in the Jehovah's Witnesses, a religion whose adherents refuse to perform the mandatory commitment.

Many people are asking questions to beat the system by using the ruling.

"I am asking in a hurry because I can be exempt from military service. How can I register myself as a Jehovah's Witness?" a person wrote on a website.

Another online user also said he welcomed the Supreme Court ruling, hoping he could legitimately avoid military service by joining Jehovah's Witnesses. He later replied that the religion often stations recruiters near subway stations.

And then there's this apparently from us: On the other hand, Jehovah's Witnesses say there are obligations that need to be fulfilled to be part of the religion including spending 50 hours a week doing missionary work and not celebrating Christmas and other anniversaries. Someone caught violating the terms will have their religious status revoked. 

I wonder if doing aux pioneer work (50 hrs/month) is the condition set by the court for getting the exemption.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

7 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

there are obligations that need to be fulfilled to be part of the religion including spending 50 hours a week doing missionary work

HAHAHAHAHA I guess I can't be a Witness  200h/months... That's some GT Judgement Message Sprint ?

Edited by Dages

Oh wow!  That's just weird!  It's just another manifestation of misinformation, big time!  So, they won't be one of JWs for the blessings of eternal life in paradise, but will "sign up" just so they can avoid some time in compulsory military service.  Yeah....

3 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

How can I register myself as a Jehovah's Witness?" a person wrote on a website.

I would say....

Registering becomes validated on the date of your baptism..

But firstly you need to study the Bible ..let's say for a year..

Become unbaptized publisher of the good news and preaching actively from door to door (there it goes your weekend! LOL :lol1:)

Attend meetings regularly (twice a week)

Clean up your life morally if needed

Develop unselfish love

Are you ready to begin steps?

When would you like to begin the study? LOL :whistling:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

5 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

Many people are asking questions to beat the system by using the ruling.

What a great opportunity to start a lot of studies!

I wouldn't say or do anything to discourage them. It's a golden opportunity!

A lot of them may cancel but wouldn't it be nice if at least a few people keep studying...

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Brother Jack said:

That’s great. However, I was disappointed to see the 50 hours error. I hope that doesn’t discourage people.

That was probably the point, not necessarily to discourage people from becoming Witnesses, but to prevent people from dodging the military under the guise of being a JW.

However, I'm sure the local branch will have more robust vetting standards to address people trying to become Witnesses under false pretenses. Or better still, when they see what it takes to become a Witness, they''ll prefer the military!  :lol1:

Edited by Bob

Thats funny,  "How can I register as  Jehovahs Witness?" ....  As if there's some form you could get stamped and be done  with it.  We dont need any new "vetting process" Jehovah's standards are high enough.... maybe some will try and fake it to start but then discover the truth.  

Edited by sunshine

On 11/5/2018 at 12:07 AM, GeordieGirl said:

And then there's this apparently from us: On the other hand, Jehovah's Witnesses say there are obligations that need to be fulfilled to be part of the religion including spending 50 hours a week doing missionary work

50 hours a week???
Not even special pioneers have that goal.

I'm betting that they told them that the missionary work was a Christian obligation we have to fulfill and the reporter asked how much time do we have to spend doing that. Then got a response saying "it depends" and then the different monthly hourly goals and later during the day he could no longer read his own notes.

Or maybe our Korean brothers are just specially zealous.

32 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

50 hours a week???
Not even special pioneers have that goal.

I'm betting that they told them that the missionary work was a Christian obligation we have to fulfill and the reporter asked how much time do we have to spend doing that. Then got a response saying "it depends" and then the different monthly hourly goals and later during the day he could no longer read his own notes.

Or maybe our Korean brothers are just specially zealous.

...or the report was changed by the government to discourage people from trying to avoid military service...

Where's a good conspiracy theorist when you need one??? :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D